Sweet Coconut Scrambled Eggs on Toast

by Marla on February 12, 2012 · 58 comments

Healthy scrambled eggs with fresh fruit and coconut  Today we are going to prepare something so simply perfect. Mindful, simple + happy food.

Eggs are usually considered a savory, but let’s face it they are used in sweets all the time. From cakes, cookies, frostings, puddings and more. Eggs take either center stage or they make baked recipes come together. Over here we love traditional savory scrambled eggs, but making a sweet egg scramble puts a nice little twist on a classic breakfast. You know how great your eggs taste when maple syrup oozes onto them from your stack of pancakes? Well then this is kinda like that. Go ahead and make the pancakes too if you wish.

We kept it simple with heart shaped toast and fresh fruit…

Heart shaped whole wheat toast for Valentine's Day

We love sprouted grain breads, but your favorite crispy baguette would pair well too.

Why is it that cutting food into hearts makes everything so *happy*

Breakfast on rustic farm table with Liberty of London Tana Lawn napkin

These would make a charming little breakfast or brunch for a shower, Mother’s Day, Valentine’s Day or Easter.

Keep in mind that this is simply a method type of recipe. Adjust ratios according to your taste and diet preferences. I am just suggesting that coconut and eggs + some sweetness are a match made in heaven.

Have you ever had sweet eggs? The first time I ever did was in a Japanese restaurant in the form of Tamagoyaki. That is a Japanese omelette made by combining eggs, rice vinegar, and sometimes sugar or soy sauce. The sweet~savory pairing is always a favorite!

Spring flower blossoms on linen tablecloth, heart shaped whole wheat toast
If you want more yolks…add ‘em.

More toast? Go for it. I love the eggs and fruit by themselves. Extra berries for me please. I can never have enough berries in my world.

Breakfast on rustic farm table with burlap table cloth

Be sure to slather your toast with some melted coconut oil to round everything together.

Also get your hands on some heart cookie cutters in all shapes and sizes. If you don’t have them all ready.

Rustic breakfast table with scramble eggs, bananas and berries

Do you have any special breakfasts planned for Valentine’s Day?

Heart shaped strawberries with 2 cups of milk

Are you usually the one who cooks breakfast or does a special someone bring you breakfast in bed?

Two vintage forks on heart shaped Valentine's Day doilies

• a splash of light unsweetened Coconut Milk
  • 1 cup Egg Whites
  • Vanilla Stevia Drops (1/2-1 droppers full), Honey or Maple Syrup to taste
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded Coconut
  • dash of fine Sea Salt
  • unrefined Coconut Oil to coat the pan and some for your toast or Butter
  • a few slices of your favorite bread
  • Fresh Fruit
  • Optional Toppings
  • toasted Coconut Flake
  • homemade Whipped Cream
  • Maple Syrup or Honey

• In a bowl whisk together eggs, coconut milk, sweetener, shredded coconut and sea salt. Heat a medium non stick skillet over medium low heat. Add egg mixture and cook slowly stirring frequently to get creamy scrambled eggs. I like to use my silicone spatula spoon for this. Toast bread and spread some coconut oil or butter over the top. Serve with the eggs on the top and a side of fresh fruit.
  • Notes
  • Adjust ingredients according to taste and diet preference. More egg yolks are a great option too.
Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

Scrambled Eggs Recipe Links

1 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga February 12, 2012 at 9:13 am

Heart-shaped strawberries….TOO CUTE!! I have never seen that done before and you just made me want to try it, asap.

Sweet coconut on eggs? Now that’s a fun idea! For the first time ever, in 3 years, I posted an egg-based recipe on my blog…today. Great minds think alike. I like the idea of your sweet eggs, big time :)

2 Marla February 12, 2012 at 5:26 pm

Averie, I’ll have to check out your eggie recipe. I could have stamped out those little heart shaped strawberries all day long. Glad you like them!

3 Kris February 12, 2012 at 9:51 am

this is gorgeous! when I ate eggs more often, I used to LOVE sweet scrambles… kinda stumbled into them when I had leftover french toast egg once, and back in college my pup was lucky enough to get those eggs ;) the sweet scrambles spiraled from there!

I have a new breakfast beverage I am making lately, it will be perfect for our Valentines morning… I may have to include heart shaped toasts too!

happy Valentines, Marla!

4 Marla February 12, 2012 at 5:31 pm

Kris, this is just like those scrambled eggs from French toast. Gosh was your puppy lucky back in your college days or what??!! The smoothie & heart shaped toasts sound like the perfect combo.

5 Rosa February 12, 2012 at 9:52 am

I’ve never had or thought about sweet scrambled eggs before today and I must say that I am quite intrigued by your recipe! Gorgeous flavors.

6 Marla February 12, 2012 at 5:32 pm

Rosa…you must try sweet eggs. Really :)

7 Angie February 12, 2012 at 9:53 am

Wow! That is so pretty! The perfect healthy meal to serve to your loved ones valentines day morning! I love the heart shaped bread and heart strawberries! As they say a way to a man’s heart is through his stomach
I love coconut. So versatile so yummy! Beautiful photos!!

8 Marla February 12, 2012 at 5:34 pm

Thanks Angie! The hearts are the perfect way to bribe my kids too ;)

9 TheFromagette February 12, 2012 at 9:58 am

Yup, I bet waking up at your house is a pretty great thing:)

10 Marla February 12, 2012 at 5:35 pm

Thanks Rachel! Must be pretty good considering the kiddos were up at 4am this morning ;)

11 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers February 12, 2012 at 10:02 am

Oh Marla, these look wonderful! Your so creative! I love eggs and berries, well there my favorite fruit!!!

12 Katie {EpicureanMom.com} February 12, 2012 at 11:05 am

Sweet scrambled eggs sound divine!! Love the coconut addition! Love love love the cute strawberry hearts!

13 Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner February 12, 2012 at 11:27 am

AWH, I love the strawberry hearts. <3

14 Marina@cowboycountryvegetarian February 12, 2012 at 11:41 am

How cute and romantic! Lovely post Marla!

15 Erin February 12, 2012 at 6:39 pm

I love when I find ideas that I’ve never thought of before! I’m definitely putting this on my “to try” list! Sounds delicious!

16 Katie February 13, 2012 at 2:54 am

Your little strawberry hears melt me. Adorable! And, your photography is so beautiful Marla!

17 Marla February 13, 2012 at 6:00 am

Katie, I am so happy my heart shaped strawberries made you *happy* too!! Thanks for your sweet compliments about my photos :)

18 Joanne February 13, 2012 at 5:21 am

Well, I do ADORE maple syrup on my eggs. But I think I would love this so much more, especially knowing how good for me it is! Happy V-Day love!

19 Marla February 13, 2012 at 6:00 am

Joanne, maple syrup and eggs are one of the best things ever! Hope you dig into this combo very soon. ~xo~

20 Shawna @ CheekyChicFamily February 13, 2012 at 6:01 am

I’m going to have to try this. We have no plans for Valentine’s Day other than the kids parties at their schools. I’m making my special oatmeal cookies for the teachers and other parent helpers. When I made my menu for the week I didn’t think about Tuesday being Valentine’s Day. We’re going to have tuna melts. Maybe I’ll have to cut them in heart shapes for that little extra special Valentine’s Day boost.

21 Marla February 13, 2012 at 6:16 pm

Shawna, the heart shaped sandwiches sound like a great idea! We are on our ski trip right now & I brought tons of stuff from home to surprise the kids with when they wake up ~ Including the cutest Valentine’s Day placemats I found last year. Sadly we are missing their parties at school, but thankfully the amazing skiing in Telluride is making up for that ;) So nice of you to make those oatmeal cookies for the folks at school, bet they loved ‘em!

22 Jenny Flake February 13, 2012 at 6:47 am

How beautiful Marla! You have such a happy, delicious site. I love it more and more. Hope you have a fabulous day! xoxo

23 Marla February 13, 2012 at 6:16 pm

Jenny, that means so much coming from you. Thanks so much my friend :) ~xo~

24 susan February 13, 2012 at 7:18 am

I love eggs pretty much anytime of the day. I wish I was your kid and could wake up to this feast on Valentine’s am(or any day of the week, for that matter)!

25 Marla February 13, 2012 at 6:17 pm

Susan, I wish they were as grateful as you ;) Well they are sometimes…kinda :)

26 aida mollenkamp February 13, 2012 at 7:56 am

I really like Tamagoyaki, Marla, so I could see myself enjoying this too!

27 Sommer@ASpicyPerspective February 13, 2012 at 8:11 am

Yes, yes, yes!! Coconut (like bacon) makes everything better. :)

28 Marla February 13, 2012 at 6:42 pm

Sommer, that would be very true…

29 HeatherChristo February 13, 2012 at 8:34 am

ok. I would never, ever have thought to try coconut with scrambled eggs, but I trust you Marla! I bet they are great!

30 Amanda February 13, 2012 at 9:14 am

Oh my goodness Marla, this is just gorgeous! Your photos have me swooning as always.

31 Marla February 13, 2012 at 6:44 pm

Amanda, coming from you & your wonderful photography skills that means a whole lot :) Thanks for popping over today! ~xo~

32 Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking February 13, 2012 at 9:50 am

What a creative recipe, Marla! Coconut with eggs would be an unlikely pairing in my own mind, but I can’t help but think if it’s good enough for you I might like it too! Thanks for sharing your recipe and beautiful photos.

33 Marla February 13, 2012 at 6:43 pm

Thanks Georgia! I love sharing the unexpected with you guys sometimes :) Glad you are digging the idea of a sweet scramble.

34 Miss Charming February 13, 2012 at 9:52 am

Wow! That just looks amazing and super yummy. (I’m going to try it for Valentines’s day.)

35 Kristen February 13, 2012 at 10:27 am

I never would have thought to put eggs with coconut. Interesting!

36 Allison [Girl's Guide to Social Media] February 13, 2012 at 12:38 pm

I prefer my eggs to be savory, but I’ll certainly give a sweet spin on them a try!

37 Kiran @ KiranTarun.com February 13, 2012 at 1:12 pm

What a beautiful recipe — you always come up with very creative recipes, Marla :)

38 THollis February 13, 2012 at 4:07 pm

Sounds delicious! Eat well to be well! And coconut oil is a large part of that!

39 Jamie | My Baking Addiction February 13, 2012 at 5:08 pm

This sounds absolutely delicious! And I’m totally with ya on the whole maple syrup oozing into eggs thing! Gorgeous photos, Marla!

40 Sanjeeta kk February 13, 2012 at 8:01 pm

Love that tiny little Strawberry heart in the plate! Coconut and eggs sounds exciting.

41 Jeanette February 14, 2012 at 4:18 am

What a cute Valentine’s Day breakfast. I’ve had tamagoyaki, but that’s the only sweet egg I think I’ve ever eaten.

42 Bree February 14, 2012 at 9:26 am

How creative! Love the pics too. Happy Valentines!

43 Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles February 14, 2012 at 12:27 pm

I have never tried sweet eggs, but when you mention about when syrup runs into them…yes, I do like that! The coconut sounds great with this. And extra berries for me, too, please! (And someone mentioned to me in a comment once about soy sauce on eggs – I must try that, too!)

44 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather February 14, 2012 at 1:52 pm

What a fun twist on scrambled eggs! I do love to make my eggs sweet sometimes turning into a banana-egg stuffed in a sandwich. I’ve gotta try this coconut twist though. Love all the hearts :)

45 Donna February 14, 2012 at 4:22 pm

Your blog is simply the tops for presentation and creativity! You always brighten my day!

46 Marta @ I love breakfasts! February 15, 2012 at 3:56 am

Perfect for a Valentine’s morning :)

47 Andrea DiGeronimo February 15, 2012 at 10:04 am

Such beautiful pictures and scenes. The recipe looks intriguing and delicious. As I read this I am thoroughly enjoying your “cheesy spaghetti squash casserole” with bacon recipe. Delicious!! I hope you are still in Telluride having the best time! xxoo, Andrea

48 Val February 16, 2012 at 9:21 am

I can’t believe this is my first visit to your blog!!! I have to tell you. I’m in awe. Love your food styling, photos and recipes. Wow. So glad I found your site.

49 Marla February 16, 2012 at 5:18 pm

Well Val I just love your enthusiasm! I am so happy you found my blog too :)

50 Kristina Vanni February 16, 2012 at 1:52 pm

This is such a sweet and creative take on the classic egg dish! What a great idea to add the coconut oil to the toast. Sounds like a match made in heaven!

51 Katie February 27, 2012 at 7:55 pm

I made this tonight, it has been on my Tastespotting favorites for a long time now but I was a bit hesitant to try it for some reason. Man was it ever fantastic!! It seems an unconventional combo (to me at least) but it is so simple, and so delicious. I will definitely be making this again soon.

52 Marla February 27, 2012 at 10:04 pm

Oh Katie, that is such great news! I am so happy I introduced you to some fun new flavor combos. Thanks for your sweet comment!

53 Kristen @ The Endless Meal March 14, 2012 at 9:40 pm

You’ve definitely caught my attention! I’ve never before even considered eating sweet scrambled eggs. I have to admit I’ve pretty much fallen in love with scrambled eggs with truffle oil and parmesan cheese. It’s my go to for sure. I’m going to have to switch it up and try this recipe next time!

54 Erica May 5, 2012 at 5:44 am

Just whipped these up! Delicious! Coconut and fluffy scrambled eggs is a heavenly flavor combination!

55 Marla May 5, 2012 at 9:45 am

Erica, awesome!! So glad you enjoy my coconut eggs recipe.