Let’s Ski Telluride!

by Marla on February 22, 2012 · 55 comments

Telluride, CO Winter on FamilyFreshCooking.com © Marla Meridith.com We have we been having a total blast here the past two weeks. I mean really, the snow has been glorious and nothing can melt the smiles from our faces. I wanted to shared some in bounds good times, pop colors and fun with you all. As most of you know by now Telluride, Colorado is my home away from home. It is my happy place. My place to find center. My place for ultimate creative inspiration. And of course my favorite place to ski!

Let’s make some turns together shall we?

Telluride, CO Winter on FamilyFreshCooking.com © Marla Meridith.com

I adore slope side fashions. The rainbow colors pop against the bright white snow and people look dashing in their gear. A little peek a boo fur is fun too! The devil horns on this little guy add some drama too. I bet he rips it down the slopes ~ grinning all the way. I need a helmet cover like that.

We have had a bunch of snow since we arrived. Lots of glorious Colorado, Rocky Mountain powder.

Telluride, CO Winter on FamilyFreshCooking.com © Marla Meridith.com

How could you not be blissfully happy with these majestic views? What you see here is the See Forever ski run. A visual delight with views that reach out to the La Sal mountains in Utah!

Ahhhh……

Telluride, CO Winter on FamilyFreshCooking.com © Marla Meridith.com

A snow boarder makes some turns on See Forever too!

Telluride, CO Winter on FamilyFreshCooking.com © Marla Meridith.com

Check out this brightly colored beauty…

Telluride, CO Winter on FamilyFreshCooking.com © Marla Meridith.com

And how about this gal. In a tutu and bright pink ski pants. My kind of glamour!

Telluride, CO Winter on FamilyFreshCooking.com © Marla Meridith.com

These ladies were in town for Women’s Ski Week. I could not get over their fabulous outfits and pom pom headbands. They were a blast to watch on the slopes too!

Telluride, CO Winter on FamilyFreshCooking.com © Marla Meridith.com

The kids ski like little dynamos here. Seems like the common age to start this spectacular sport is 3 years old. Thankfully my kids have been showered with attention by the awesome folks at the Telluride Ski School since they were three. My kids never want the day to end. No matter what you age or ski ability there is a perfect group for you. Everyone fits in here.

In the summer my kids hang out at Tel Ski’s Eco Adventure program. Through the years we have become very close to the folks who instruct and take such great care of our kids.

Here is Eric. He was my daughter’s first ski instructor. *Hi Eric!*

Telluride, CO Winter on FamilyFreshCooking.com © Marla Meridith.comTelluride ski instructor in red jacket & uniform

Here is Iggy. He has been skiing with my daughter and her buddies the past 2 weeks…

Telluride, CO Winter on FamilyFreshCooking.com © Marla Meridith.comSki instructor in Telluride Colorado. Tel Ski ski school.

Here is my daughter with our great buddy Jonathon. He hikes with the kids in the summer and makes turns with us in the winter. He is also in charge of the goings on at Eco Adventures. Love this guy!

Telluride, CO Winter on FamilyFreshCooking.com © Marla Meridith.com

My little guy is now 5. He insists on a pensive gondola ride each morning to reflect on the day ahead…

Telluride, CO Winter on FamilyFreshCooking.com © Marla Meridith.com

After that he gets all geared up and ready to swoosh down the mountain.

Telluride, CO Winter on FamilyFreshCooking.com © Marla Meridith.com

My daughter is doing amazing. This trip she has been sking some Telluride black runs.

If you have been here then you know this terrain is very varied and you can get exactly what you need out of it.

Telluride, CO Winter on FamilyFreshCooking.com © Marla Meridith.com

The graphics on skis and snowboards always fascinate me. They are bold, bright and also pop against the glorious white snow.

Telluride, CO Winter on FamilyFreshCooking.com © Marla Meridith.com

From the wildest double black diamond EX runs to gentle cruisers with the most breathtaking scenery. There is lots of fun no matter what your ability.

If skiing is not your thing then you can also hop into Eco Adventures where you can go on snow shoe tours, cruise the mountain on ski bikes, snow mobiling, nordic skiing, horseback ridingdog sledding and lots more. Come to think of it I need to meet up with a few of those husky dogs. The photo op would be spectacular!

The thing here is enjoying the outdoors even if just for a few minutes.

Let’s take another peek…

Telluride, CO Winter on FamilyFreshCooking.com © Marla Meridith.com

Aprés ski at Gorrono Ranch is always a treat. A lot of people get married here, all seasons. I think my hubs and I need to renew our vows here….ya think?!

Take a look at a beautiful summer wedding at Gorrono as seen on Style Me Pretty blog. Stunning!

Telluride, CO Winter on FamilyFreshCooking.com © Marla Meridith.com

It is always nice after a day on the slopes to kick up your heels and unwind with friends and family.

Telluride, CO Winter on FamilyFreshCooking.com © Marla Meridith.com

Are you a skier or a snow boarder? What is your favorite ski resort?

Telluride, CO Winter on FamilyFreshCooking.com © Marla Meridith.com

Have you ever been to Telluride? If not you must…

Off to hit the slopes!

*This post has been featured at the VisitTelluride.com website

Related Links

1 Prerna@IndianSimmer February 22, 2012 at 10:10 am

Oh my gosh, the whole post is loaded with gorgeous after gorgeous photos but I just could not get over the fact that how absolutely adorable your kids are! That photograph of your son with him blue/green (?) eyes is SO cute :-) I can see that you have had a great trip loaded with fun!

2 Marla February 22, 2012 at 11:52 am

Prerna, thanks so much. I love photographing my kids ~ and Iove seeing the photos of yours too. Great subjects even when grumpy ;)

3 Rosa February 22, 2012 at 10:16 am

Oh, this is heaven on earth! Telluride is really a beautiful place. I wish I could spend some time there…

4 Marla February 22, 2012 at 11:53 am

Rosa ~ and you live in a land of beauty as well. I do believe you would love it here!!

5 Molly L. February 22, 2012 at 10:16 am

I went on my first ski trip EVER (I’m 27!) this past weekend in Tahoe! I only made it to the green slopes after my 1st lesson but I had SO MUCH FUN – I cannot wait to go skiing again and definitely felt a huge sense of pride after going down some of my first hills- I’m glad it’s never too late to learn how to ski!

6 Marla February 22, 2012 at 11:51 am

Molly, you are right ~ it is never too late to learn how to ski! Congrats to you for making some turns in Tahoe. I hear the snow is great there! Keep up the great work & before you know it you will be hitting up those black runs :)

7 Kristen February 22, 2012 at 10:23 am

Such a beautiful place! You’ve captured it well. Enjoy!

8 Jean (Lemons and Anchovies) February 22, 2012 at 10:27 am

Telluride is one of my favorite places in the world. I have spent virtually each summer there for the last 10 years. Each visit there is like the first time–I can never get over its beauty. Enjoyed this post as I’ve never made it to ski there but yes, I know what you mean about the varied terrain. Lovely images you shared. :)

9 Marla February 22, 2012 at 11:21 am

Jean, I had no idea you were here every summer. We are too! We should meet up sometime. Agreed, each trip here is like the first time. Magical & amazing. Hopefully one day you can check out the winter beauty too :)

10 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather February 22, 2012 at 11:41 am

It is sooooo beautiful there!!! And those tutu ski outfits are just too fun. Amazing shots Marla.

11 Marla February 22, 2012 at 11:49 am

Thanks Heather! I actually have a Mardi Gras tutu on order over at Etsy for an upcoming party I’m attending. I will bring it next year to ski in :)

12 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga February 22, 2012 at 12:07 pm

Love the pics and love that you’re in your happy place, with your family, enjoying life. This is what it’s all about. :)

13 Rachel @ Baked by Rachel February 22, 2012 at 12:41 pm

Gorgeous photos! That’s so awesome the kids start so young. I wish I was a skier, it’d be easier to get my kids involved in something like that.

14 Marina {YummyMummyKitchen.com} February 22, 2012 at 12:52 pm

Gorgeous! Thanks for virtually taking me on the slopes. I haven’t been to the snow since before kids (5+ years) and am a terrible skier, though I do love exploring, cooking, and shopping in the snow. Your kids are lucky to be growing up learning to ski.

15 Winnie February 22, 2012 at 4:31 pm

I am in Vail right now and loving every minute, but you are making me want to get to Telluride, girl! Gorgeous photos!

16 Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. February 22, 2012 at 6:02 pm

too fabulous. My favorite place on earth too! You are a lucky woman!

17 Alyssa (Down To Earth) February 22, 2012 at 6:50 pm

These photos are stunning. There’s something so peaceful about the mountains and the snow . . .they’re breathtaking.
The first time I EVER skied was last winter in Vermont up at Jay’s Peak. I was scared out of my gourd! But, I managed to conquer the bunny hill and even take the lift to one of the first hills and manage my way down. I had to coach myself the whole way down. . .and I only fell once! Haha.
Have lots of fun!

18 Sara{OneTribeGourmet} February 23, 2012 at 6:06 am

Wow!!! Breathtaking Views!!! Gorgeous!!! Looks like you guys had a blast!

19 Marla February 23, 2012 at 6:42 am

Sara, yes indeed! And thankfully we are still here!! ~xo~

20 Lori @ RecipeGirl February 23, 2012 at 6:07 am

Beautiful photos- I’ve not been to Telluride yet! I totally miss skiing. I think you need to move there Girl. It’s where you seem happiest!

21 Marla February 23, 2012 at 6:43 am

Lori, without a doubt :)

22 MikeVFMK February 23, 2012 at 6:11 am

yay! love this post, Marla. The pictures are beautiful, as are the surroundings and mountains and ski shots. Your kids are precious and look like they’re having the time of their life. And you must be too! Absolutely beautiful.

23 Marla February 23, 2012 at 6:43 am

Thanks for your enthusiasm Mike! We are in a glorious state for sure :)

24 Allison [Girl's Guide to Social Media] February 23, 2012 at 6:51 am

I want to be carried-away to Telluride rather than going to work! I’ll be day dreaming of this great place all day. :)

25 susan February 23, 2012 at 7:16 am

lucky you for having this to share with your family! looks heavenly!

26 Shawna @ CheekyChicFamily February 23, 2012 at 7:44 am

While your post is beautifully written accompanied by gorgeous pictures of the snow and mountains it makes me terribly sad that I won’t be making it to the mountains this winter for some fun. I must make it a priority next year. I love Winter Park but mostly because I have friends and family in that area and we can crash for free. I’d love to try Telluride some time!

27 Lucy February 23, 2012 at 8:33 am

I’m happy just knowing that you are happy in this happy place – albeit a little green with happiness! Where’s the boob shot?!

28 island girl February 23, 2012 at 9:39 am

Thank you, thank you for all the amazing pics!!! Brightened my day!! @littleislandstu

29 Yvette ~ Muy Bueno February 23, 2012 at 9:44 am

Your sons eyes remind me of my sons eyes! They are gorgeous! That photo needs to be printed and framed. All your photos are gorgeous! Love all the pops of color against the white snow. Its snowing here today in Colorado, and although its beautiful it was not fun to drive in this morning :(

30 Lauren February 23, 2012 at 10:08 am

What beautiful pictures! We ski Breckenridge most of the time since my in-laws have a time share there. My husband’s family member have all been skiing since they were around 3, and I didn’t start until high school, so I’m still working on catching up to them! Thankfully they’re good teachers :)

When we were at Breck in December, there was barely any snow. Glad to see you have had plenty!

31 Brooke @ Food Woolf February 23, 2012 at 10:25 am

Wow. What incredible views, gorgeous sights, and lovely stories. I’m so happy you get to have these get aways!

32 Carrie February 23, 2012 at 11:01 am

So that’s where all the snow is landing. I’m closer to Vail and the snow has been pretty sparse this year. It’s always fun to see you gush over the mountain lifestyle. I couldn’t live anywhere else.

33 Maria February 23, 2012 at 11:05 am

Glad you are having fun!

34 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers February 23, 2012 at 11:37 am

What a wonderful trip! It’s so beautiful there.

35 Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts February 23, 2012 at 12:06 pm

What an amazing trip! The pictures are stunning. Your sons eyes are gorgeous!

36 Jen at The Three Little Piglets February 23, 2012 at 1:26 pm

So beautiful! And you’re right – the bright colors do just pop against the snow! Now if only I was a skier…

37 Amanda February 23, 2012 at 6:28 pm

This is SO fun Marla!!

38 Kiran @ KiranTarun.com February 23, 2012 at 9:53 pm

Marla,

Love this post — you made Telluride looked too irresistible. A must visit for sure :)

Your family is gorgeous :)

39 Kristina Vanni February 24, 2012 at 9:20 am

Wow, this escape looks beyond beautiful! Looks like you guys had a blast. Your photography and cover of ski school makes me want to head out to the slopes!

40 aida mollenkamp February 24, 2012 at 4:11 pm

Thanks for sharing all your winter fun with us! I love the glammed out ladies in the tutus!

41 Sweetsugarbelle February 25, 2012 at 10:00 pm

My cousin lived there for years. I like Colorado in general. It’s a happy place. Looks like a dream, Marla!

42 Krista February 25, 2012 at 10:49 pm

Gorgeous! So glad you get enjoy the slopes before Spring arrives!

43 Teresa February 26, 2012 at 9:27 am

Marla, Beautiful photos! I would have to agree with others… your children are adorable. So good to meet with you and connect. Glad you are finally giving yourself the gift of massage. See you in Telluride soon!

44 Dianne Bunnell February 26, 2012 at 9:38 am

I am the girl in the zebra ski coat and the tutu!!! This whole blog is fabulous – Telluride is my spiritual center as well. I know exactly how you feel. I wish I could live there full time but I will be happy with my visits that always restore my soul!!

45 Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen February 26, 2012 at 1:26 pm

What an incredibly beautiful place, I just love that first image with the snow falling. Fantastic shot!

46 Esi February 26, 2012 at 2:48 pm

Always love seeing your posts about your time in the mountains.

47 Angie February 27, 2012 at 10:46 am

Marla! Those photos are crazy gorgeous! Wow! I love the ladies in their tutus!!!!
Looks like you had a wonderful time in telluride winter wonderland.

48 Marla February 27, 2012 at 2:40 pm

Angie, a blissful winter wonderland indeed :) xo

49 Cookin' Canuck February 27, 2012 at 12:03 pm

What fantastic photos, Marla! I love seeing snippets of you and your family in one of your favorite places. Those ladies are rockin’ the tutus!

50 Marla February 27, 2012 at 2:40 pm

Thanks Dara! Love sharing all the FUN with you guys :)

51 Liz - Meal Makeover Mom February 27, 2012 at 7:39 pm

Your photos take my breath away (oooh, maybe it’s the altitude). I love your post. Having just returned from Park City, Utah, I can appreciate the beauty of the snow and the mountains. Thanks for sharing. Now what’s up with those tutus? I saw a few in Utah. A new ski bunny trend? Love it …

52 Marla February 27, 2012 at 10:08 pm

Liz, I do believe the tutus are a new ski bunny trend. I saw a whole bunch of them on the mountain this year. I will have one with me next ski season ~ it is on order now :) Not only were those ladies wearing them for Women’s Week, but also lots on the slopes for festive Mardi Gras attire.
Glad to hear you had such a great trip to Park City. I always hear great things about that place.

53 Molly Roberson February 28, 2012 at 10:18 am

This trip looks beautiful! My husband love to ski–we really enjoy Vail & Keystone. I am excited to visit Telluride now!
-Molly.

54 Marla February 28, 2012 at 11:46 am

Great Molly! I look forward to hearing about your experiences if you visit Telluride!

55 The Healthy Apple March 18, 2012 at 7:37 pm

What a fabulous post; I love Telluride. It’s my favorite mountain in Colorado. Your pictures look beautiful and I love the vibrant colors. Glad you had a great trip; looking forward to meeting you in a few weeks here in NYC for IACP!
Have a great week, Marla.