A funny thing happened yesterday. I mentioned to my husband that people are crazy for all kinds of smoothies and shakes. I also said that I didn’t share the passion. As a great husband who is always honest and forthcoming he responded back “Are you nuts? You have at least one shake per day, usually more like two.” Thanks my dear, I now stand corrected. The guy is right. It is usually my homemade Frappuccino or a version of that. I have been wanting to capture the flavors of carrot cake in a glass. Happily with this recipe I have.
Sure there is no cake in here, but the flavors of this homemade classic dessert are brought to life in a creamy, dreamy, health filled shake.
Let’s dig into an icy treat together, shall we?
Get your hands on the freshest bunch of carrots you can find, and don’t forget to roast them first. That makes all the difference in the world. Roasting them with some coconut oil and spices brings out the most delicious flavor in this shake. A mixture of coconut milk and almond milk add to the perfect creamy blend.
Coffee and chocolate are usually the stars in my shakes. It is nice to have a twist. This shake tastes like melted coconut carrot ice cream. With little hits of cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger everything comes together nicely. It is also a great option for those on gluten free, vegan and grain free diets.
Freeze your coconut carrot shake and add it to your lunchbox. By the time lunch or snack time rolls around you have a healthy treat at the ready. Much better then diving into the office lunch room or vending machine.
I love texture with my shake. Some chew and bite. If you do too then top yours with chopped toasted nuts (I love walnuts), shredded coconut, raisins, flaxseed or graham cracker crumbles (find gluten free versions for intolerances.) I styled ours with some curly cue carrot slices to. Kinda weird, but fun. You might need a fork with these!
This shake has become a new favorite in our house and I will be blending them up all the time!
What is your favorite creamy ~ dreamy shake? A frozen treat you can’t wait to get your hands on each day?
- a bunch of large Carrots, peeled
- 1 tablespoon melted [unrefined Coconut Oil|
- dash of ground Cinnamon, Ginger and Nutmeg
- pinch of fine Sea Salt
- 8 ounces unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
- 2 ounces unsweetened Coconut Milk
- 2 ounces (60 grams) roasted Carrots
- Vanilla Stevia Drops to taste (I like 1 dropper full)
- 4 ounces Ice
- Whipped Cream
- unsweetened shredded Coconut
- toasted, chopped Nuts
- ground Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Ginger
- Ice Cream or Frozen Yogurt
- Graham Cracker Crumbles
- ground Flaxseed
- Pre heat oven to 375 degrees F. Mix spices into melted coconut oil. Toss and coat carrots in oil and sprinkle with a pinch of salt. Roast on a baking sheet for 25 - 45 minuted depending upon the size of your carrots. Flip once during baking time. They should be soft and slightly browned when done.
- Blend all ingredients in a high powered blender. Add a splash of water or additional almond milk if needed to blend. Serve with any desired toppings.
Shake Recipe Links
- Chai Shakes Eat, Live, Run
- Creamy Blueberry Banana Milkshakes Family Fresh Cooking
- Homemade Frappuccino Family Fresh Cooking
- I Can’t Believe it’s not a Milkshake! Dashing Dish
- Mixed Berry Smoothie forty weeks and then some
- Roasted Strawberry Shortcake Shakes Spoon Fork Bacon