Citrus Roasted Strawberry Parfaits

by Marla on March 4, 2012 · 61 comments

Roasted Strawberry Yogurt Parfaits on FamilyFreshCooking.com © MarlaMeridith.com Something very happy has happened around here. I have discovered the magical flavors of roasted strawberries. Have you ever done this? You need to drop everything to roast up a batch right now. Right after you read this post. Maybe in order to do this you must dash to the market to get a big batch of strawberries. That’s OK, i’ll be waiting for you when you get back. On your shopping list add a juicy orange, a jar of unrefined coconut oil and some thick Greek yogurt.

Ready. Set. Let’s roast!

Strawberry Love on FamilyFreshCooking.com © MarlaMeridith.com

There are the berries before the heat. They are simply coated in two tablespoons of fresh squeezed orange juice and a tablespoon of my favorite coconut oil I use all the time.

The dazzling red color of these roasted berries says it all. Like stained glass I tell ya. Ahhhh, the beauty…

Mmmmm Roasted Strawberries on FamilyFreshCooking.com © MarlaMeridith.com

The coconut oil and citrus add even more flavor to an all ready perfect treat.

We have lots of fresh strawberries all year round here in California. This dessert/snack will be perfect for spring and summer picnics and parties too.

Strawberries get superbly sweet when heat is applied. They taste kind of like a liquid fruit roll up. Actually if you baked these for waaaayy longer you would end up with fruit leather/roll ups.

For now we will stick with parfaits. I suggest you try these strawberries with your oatmeal too. They make a nice spreadable jam as well. Smear some on your buttered toast.

For my vegan friends use a vegan soy or coconut yogurt. I would never want to leave you out of all this fun!

Have you ever roasted strawberries? Have I now convinced you that this is a mandatory thing to do?

Citrus Roasted Strawberry Parfaits

• Serve With
  • Thick Greek Yogurt
  • Whipped Cream
  • Ice Cream
  • Frozen Yogurt
  • Oatmeal

• Pre heat oven to 375 degrees F with the rack in the middle. Mix orange juice with coconut oil and salt. Toss with strawberries. Lay strawberries on a baking sheet in a single layer. Bake for about 30 minutes. Berries should be syrupy and very soft, almost jam like.
  • Serve with thick Greek yogurt or enjoy by the spoonful! Top parfaits with orange zest and some shredded coconut.
  • Notes
  • Strawberries get really sweet when you roast them. If needed you can sprinkle some stevia, or add a drizzle of honey or maple syrup to them when they are done baking.

Strawberry Recipes on Family Fresh Cooking (see even more on my Recipes Page)

Roasted Strawberry Recipe Links

1 Lauren @ Lawfully Wedded Wife March 4, 2012 at 9:07 pm

These photos are absolutely breathtaking Marla!!! The colors and the lighting and….oh my…I just feel like I’m being transported to a very happy place by looking at them. I will definitely try strawberries this way!

2 Marla March 5, 2012 at 5:28 am

Great Lauren + thank you so much. Glad to hear I helped transport you to a very happy place. That’s my goal around here :)

3 Kris March 4, 2012 at 9:29 pm

*sigh* for so many years, I did not like strawberries. I know, I know… trust me, each summer I definitely attempt to make up for lost time.

I LOVE roasting strawberries! this looks beautifully fresh and perfect!

4 Marla March 5, 2012 at 5:26 am

Kris, glad to hear your taste buds allow you now to enjoy the wonderment of strawberries! Isn’t roasting the best??!!

5 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga March 4, 2012 at 9:41 pm

I’ve never roasted fruit like this…must try!

they look gorgeous! I baked with strawberries today, too. But mine looks no where near as pretty as this :)

6 Marla March 5, 2012 at 5:28 am

Averie, you gotta try the roast! Looking forward to seeing you later in the week :)

7 Rosa March 4, 2012 at 10:37 pm

Lovely parfaits! So fresh and surely extremely divine tasting. I’m looking forward to eating the first strawberries of the season.

Cheers and happy Monday,

Rosa xx

8 Marla March 5, 2012 at 5:29 am

Rosa, I bet you are ready for the bounties of Spring. Will be there before you know it girl!

9 Rosa March 6, 2012 at 1:30 am

I am definitely ready for them!!!! ;-)

10 Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella March 5, 2012 at 12:25 am

Those roasted strawberries look absolutely amazing Marla! Gorgeous recipe! :D

11 Jennifer (Delicieux) March 5, 2012 at 2:45 am

Wow this looks divine! Those photos make me want to grab a spoon and dive right in. I love roasted strawberries and have been roasting them for a while. They are absolutely fantastic. My favourite roasted strawberry recipe would have to be roasted strawberry ice cream.

Thanks for including my roasted strawberry cheesecake recipe in your links!

12 Marla March 5, 2012 at 5:34 am

Jennifer, roasted strawberry ice cream sounds amazing! Must try that. Your cheesecake recipe is fun too!

13 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit March 5, 2012 at 3:45 am

Roasted strawberries? What is this you speak of?! Sounds amazing. I’ve honestly never thought of roasting them before. I bet it’d be great in a strawberry shortcake type of dessert, too!

14 Marla March 5, 2012 at 5:35 am

Leanne, they would be great in a strawberry shortcake recipe. So very true! Girl, you gotta try roasting them soon, K?!

15 Erin @ Brownie Bites March 5, 2012 at 5:11 am

I have never had a roasted strawberry – wow. I bet that is tasty!

16 Ben March 5, 2012 at 6:07 am

Oh that looks so good! I’ve been seeing a lot of strawberries in the markets in Mexico lately, spring is just around the corner. and I’m definitely making this.

17 Sally @ Spontaneous Hausfrau March 5, 2012 at 6:15 am

That tray of roasted strawberries is so superbly beautiful that, yes, you have indeed convinced me that I need to roast up a batch. Just stunning.

18 Cookbook Queen March 5, 2012 at 6:23 am

Marla, you make everything look so so beautiful!!

Can’t WAIT to roast some of the strawberries in my freezer :)

19 Jenny Flake March 5, 2012 at 6:30 am

Gorgeous as ever Marla!! xoxo

20 Erin March 5, 2012 at 6:34 am

Yes! I love roasted fruit. In fact I just had roasted banana pancakes over the weekend. I love that it brings out a little extra sweetness!

21 Antonia @ healthinspirations March 5, 2012 at 7:04 am

I have never roasted strawberries but it sounds like I missed out on a lot of flavor! I will have to try this as soon as I can find good looking strawberries…ah, can’t wait for the summer!

22 Heather (Heather's Dish) March 5, 2012 at 7:14 am

i can’t wait to find good berries out here…it’s been too long and i would LOVE to make this!

23 Katie {EpicureanMom.com} March 5, 2012 at 7:31 am

I love roasted strawberries! Roasting fruits and veggies really bring out all the natural sweetness! This parfait sounds so delightful!

24 Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking March 5, 2012 at 7:55 am

These parfaits are so lovely, Marla, and super simple. I’d love to try these for myself! Your photos makes them seem so irresistible. Keep up the great work, girl!

25 Cassie March 5, 2012 at 8:23 am

I am in love with these, Marla. Absolutely gorgeous!

26 Rachel @ Baked by Rachel March 5, 2012 at 8:47 am

Oh you’re killing me! We don’t get good juicy strawberries here until June-ish.

27 Kristina Vanni March 5, 2012 at 9:46 am

This looks delicious. I can’t wait to taste the flavor of the strawberries after applying your heat technique! This is the perfect recipe for the brink of Spring!

28 Maria March 5, 2012 at 9:49 am

I love roasted strawberries! Beautiful parfaits!

29 Helene Dsouza I Masala Herb March 5, 2012 at 10:25 am

Hi Marla!

Looks yumm, I wish I could have some now, very tempting! Love yourklicks too!

30 Angie March 5, 2012 at 10:50 am

Marla, this is so gorgeous! Who needs whip cream or icecream when u have thick, delicious Greek yogurt. I have never thought of roasting strawberries. This looks sooooo good! Roasted veggies have such a sweet yummy flavor, the strawberries must be divine. Love it!

31 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers March 5, 2012 at 11:17 am

Wow, this looks delish! I never thought of roasting strawberries, love that!! I am such a strawberry fan, I swear I can eat my weight in strawberries! In the summer I go through a case a week!

32 HeatherChristo March 5, 2012 at 12:02 pm

just gorgeous! I bet that the roasting really amps up the flavor too!

33 Deliciously Organic March 5, 2012 at 12:09 pm

I love everything about this recipe. Yum!

34 Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. March 5, 2012 at 12:22 pm

so pretty! I could dive in and take a bite

35 Esi March 5, 2012 at 3:06 pm

Love roasted strawberries!

36 Heidi @ Food Doodles March 5, 2012 at 4:01 pm

Beautiful!! Love your pictures as always. And I totally agree about roasted strawberries. Amazing! :)

37 susan March 5, 2012 at 6:13 pm

So loving this, Marla! Roasted fruit – I could so get addicted to this. Also loving the pix! All the way around delicious!!

38 Amanda March 5, 2012 at 6:47 pm

Beautiful pictures and what a wonderful recipe!!

39 Jennifer | Mother Thyme March 5, 2012 at 6:58 pm

These parfaits are amazing! We are never without a few pints of strawberries in our house. I have never tried roasted strawberries but I will be very soon! Thank you for the inspiration and a delicious recipe!

40 Allison [Girl's Guide to Social Media] March 5, 2012 at 7:23 pm

In all honesty, I have never thought of roasting strawberries or any other berry. Now, I am so inspired. This is great, Marla! Thanks for the nudge to roast strawberries.

41 sophia March 5, 2012 at 9:22 pm

I don’t think I’ve tried roasted strawberries…roasted peaches though, yes! i’ll bet these will work with many other fruits too…like figs!

42 Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen March 6, 2012 at 3:48 am

Well I already have the coconut oil and greek yogurt so now I guess I need to start working on roasting some strawberries!

43 Marla March 6, 2012 at 9:50 am

Sylvie, sounds like you are all set! Go for it girl :)

44 Shawna @ CheekyChicFamily March 6, 2012 at 6:24 am

I have a hard time getting to the roasting because by the time I get to it the kids have already eaten the strawberries! They’re sneaky I tell ya!

45 Marla March 6, 2012 at 8:46 am

Shawna, you must sneak some back & roast them!

46 TidyMom March 6, 2012 at 6:52 am

I’ve been on such a fresh fruit kick lately! these look amazing Marla!

47 Saya March 6, 2012 at 3:16 pm

Wow – the look divinely delish! Thanks for the great idea… for super sweet and luscious strawberries I will definitely be giving this a go xo

48 Kankana March 6, 2012 at 4:48 pm

That would make my morning breakfast so delicious!

49 MikeVFMK March 7, 2012 at 2:39 pm

Lovely recipe and photos, Marla! Love parfaits and this looks so fresh and vibrant. Roasted strawberries?! ‘Nuff said!

50 Val March 8, 2012 at 8:54 am

I adore roasted strawberries. This recipe is divine!

51 Jeanette March 8, 2012 at 2:53 pm

I love the idea of roasting strawberries – I’ve roasted grapes before but never strawberries. Roasting definitely brings out the sweetness in fruits and vegetables.

52 Natalie @ Cooking for My Kids March 9, 2012 at 7:10 am

This parfait looks like absolute perfection. I truly cannot wait to try it.

53 Lorie March 15, 2012 at 1:29 pm

This looks just lovely. I am pinning it. :)

54 Cookie + Kate March 19, 2012 at 9:20 pm

Roasted strawberries?! I can’t wait to try it!

55 Susan April 22, 2012 at 11:34 pm

It looks just amazing. What more can I say? I can nearly taste the strawberries just by looking at these photos.

56 Barbara @ Barbara Bakes August 3, 2012 at 7:00 am

I haven’t roasted strawberries but you’ve convinced me to try. Beautiful pictures!

57 Emily August 15, 2012 at 4:37 pm

I’m on a tight budget…can I use something other than coconut oil, or will it ruin the taste? Thanks! They look delish. :)

58 Marla August 15, 2012 at 5:13 pm

Hi Emily, you will probably do just fine roasting the strawberries in a neutral flavored oil, like canola. The coconut oil is a better flavor though, remember one jar will last a really long time :)

59 Emily February 15, 2013 at 7:31 pm

Hi,
Do these keep well overnight? I’m making a large breakfast for around 30 people but like to do as much prep work the night before as I can, and would love to make this! Been eyeing this recipe for months :) Thanks so much