Homemade Whipped Cream! Vanilla, Chocolate & Strawberry

by Marla on March 21, 2012 · 92 comments

Homemade Whipped Cream! Vanilla, Chocolate & Strawberry | recipe on FamilyFreshCooking.com

Around here we adore whipped cream. Fluffy pillows of heavenly delight. Although I create light & healthy recipes, I use dollops of slightly sweetened whipped cream often. A little goes a long way. We add it to our oatmeal in the morning. We enjoy it on our pies, parfaits, cakes, shakes and cupcakes. We are not scared of real fat, that is what satisfies our bellies, minds and tastebuds. When enjoyed with mindful portion control there is no reason why real cream can’t be a skinny food.

One confession: I did not like whipped cream at all as a kid. Despised it. That is not the case with my kids…

*You can also see my recipe for Vegan Coconut Whipped Cream: Vanilla, Mocha, Coffee, Chocolate

They love it more than anything. They would bathe in it if they could. Basically they do bathe in it when they lick the whisk.

Another confession: Back before I started this blog. Before I had kids I did not know how to make homemade whipped cream. Quite frankly it scared me. That is scary that it scared me isn’t it?

I was fearful of the kitchen way back when. I hardly even cooked. Now all I do is cook. And style food. And photograph it…

A lot of you might be wondering “Why is Marla posting how to make whipped cream?” “Don’t we all know how to dump a bottle of heavy cream into a KitchenAid mixer and let it whisk until the liquid turns into a whip?” I really did not always know how to do this. Odd I know. Thank goodness my kitchen skills have improved over the years, otherwise this blog would not exist.

I bet a handful of you might have Googled “How to make homemade whipped cream” and you ended up here. That is great! Now you have no excuses at all.

I like to whip our cream for a while. Until it is almost butter. This way I can put the cream in a piping bag and the cream holds its shape when I decorate cakes and stuff.

If you whip it for a shorter burst then your cream is more silky and floppy. Just a preference really. Do what you like best. Just keep a good eye when whipping, once those fat globules get a lot of action your smooth cream turns to butter quickly! For dipping fruit you might like it lighter and fluffier (less whipping time.)

Some creams have more butter fat (the fatty portion of milk) than others. For instance this Cream Top Whipping Cream by Straus Family Creamery is one of our favorites. It has a richer flavor and higher butterfat content then some other heavy creams. It also has a slightly yellow/buttery color. Those cows must graze some beautiful pastures!

Just so you know the folks at the Creamery have no idea I am talking about them. They have no idea their cream is my muse here….

Always be sure your use heavy cream for homemade whipped cream. You need at least 30% butterfat to make sure the fat combines with the air from the whisk. This is what turns the liquid into the cream. Half and half won’t work. So don’t try to whip that OK?

Not only do I share basic vanilla whipped cream here, but also strawberry and chocolate so everyone is happy. Neapolitan whipped cream!

Just do me one favor…adjust ingredients according to your own tastes.

If you are sugar free like me go vanilla stevia drops to sweeten.

For vanilla cream use pure vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste.

For chocolate cream: use cocoa powder or melted chocolate to taste. Your choice whether dark, milk or white chocolate.

For the strawberry I mashed up hot strawberries, let ‘em cool and mixed them into the cream. You could use any fruity preserves too. Flavor your cream with flavored extracts if you wish.

Some folks like to add a boozy touch, Creme de Menthe and Bailey’s Irish Cream are yummy. So is Amaretto. Since the alcohol is not cooked out you won’t want to serve that cream to the kids.

Just have fun.

Don’t over think it. Fake whipped cream in squirt bottles is not nearly as fun…

Let’s whip it shall we?

Are you a whipped cream purist? Do you like to add unique flavorings to yours? If so what are they?

Homemade Whipped Cream: Vanilla, Chocolate & Strawberry

Rating: 51

Prep Time: 3 minutes

Total Time: 3 minutes

Yield: about 24 ounces whipped cream

Homemade Whipped Cream: Vanilla, Chocolate & Strawberry

• Pour chilled whipping cream into the bowl of a stand mixer. Starting on a medium low speed with the whip attachment, whip a minute or so until the cream starts to thicken. Add any flavoring and some sweetener. Increase speed to high and whip until the desired thickness is achieved. Taste whipped cream and adjust sweetness and flavorings to taste. Serve chilled.
  • Notes
  • When adding melted chocolate or warmed mashed fruit make sure they are at room temperature so they don't melt your whipped cream.
  • You can either whip the flavors into the cream while on the machine or fold in afterwards with a soft spatula.
  • Whipped cream is great as a filling for layer cake. It also makes a nice frosting on the outside of a cake. To get a smooth surface run some boiling water over an offest spatula, dry the spatula and gently smooth the top of the cream.

Whipped Cream Recipe Links

1 Caroline @ chocolate & carrots March 21, 2012 at 9:59 am

Yum! I love making whipped cream…well, I don’t like it very much (I’m weird), but I love that my husband’s eyes light up when I tell him that I’ve made some. He’ll eat it on anything. I’ve never thought to flavor it other than vanilla, though! Love!!!

2 Marla March 21, 2012 at 11:48 am

Caroline, amazing how peoples eyes light up with homemade whipped cream! Try some flavors out on your hubs. He is either a purist or not ;)

3 Amy Tong March 21, 2012 at 9:59 am

What a beautiful post, as always. Thanks for sharing your story. I would have never guess that something related to cooking/kitchen scares you. :) You’re such a talented and creative chef….and always inspiring. I love making my own whipped cream for the same reason as yours. I love chocolate whipped cream the most….real dark chocolate is the best! :P

4 Marla March 21, 2012 at 11:48 am

Thanks so much Amy! There are still many things in the kitchen that intimidate me. Thankfully none of which are as simple as homemade whipped cream. Then again maybe they are….
I am with you on the dark chocolate :)

5 Angie March 18, 2013 at 1:31 pm

What do you use fot the dark chocolate frosting powder or a bar melted

6 Julie March 21, 2012 at 10:17 am

Marla,

I just found your blog a week ago and have visited several times since. I’m laughing because I actually google searched “how to make whipped cream” yesterday! One day before your posting. You are right, so simple and delicious – yet the thought is intimidating to a first timer. I will be making it often. My kids are like yours, they love it on everything including their noses. I added vanilla and agave nectar to mine. Yum!

7 Marla March 21, 2012 at 11:45 am

Julie, that is totally funny. See? Lots of folks do that. Now hopefully they will all come over here to learn how. You and your kids will be thrilled with the outcome!

8 Rachel @ Baked by Rachel March 21, 2012 at 10:22 am

I’ll admit I’ve never made whipped cream but I really have no excuse for why except that we love squirting it out from the can. Definitely going to whip some up the next time we’re in the mood for it. :)

9 Marla March 21, 2012 at 11:44 am

Rachel, thanks for your honesty! Funny how a lot of us shy away from it at first. You gotta try soon. OK?!

10 Rosa March 21, 2012 at 10:28 am

Real whipped cream is heavenly! I have never bought those squirt bottles… Yuck.

11 Marla March 21, 2012 at 11:44 am

Rosa, me neither. Why bother?

12 Grishma @ZaikaZabardast March 21, 2012 at 7:48 pm

Well..I absolutely agree with both of you :) Store bought whipped cream sucks big time..You are right Marla, why bother? BTW loved the idea of using mashed bananas/mangoes :)

13 Averie @ Averie Cooks March 21, 2012 at 10:59 am

Can I just have a HUGE bowl of that with my DVR and the Bravo re-runs I want to catch up on and maybe a cookbook to read, in bed with it? yes, thanks :)

14 Marla March 21, 2012 at 11:43 am

Averie, YES & YES!!! Large bowl of whipped cream + Bravo catch up time. Sounds like the perfect day!

15 Cassie March 21, 2012 at 12:03 pm

I love homemade whipped cream. That’s the only way I’ll eat it!

16 Deliciously Organic March 21, 2012 at 12:14 pm

I LOVE whipped cream. Nothing is more decadent then starting my day with whipped cream in my coffee. I prefer a little maple syrup in mine for sweetness. Yum!

17 TidyMom March 21, 2012 at 12:45 pm

I LOVE homemade whipped cream!
a while back I made strawberry to fill chocolate cupcakes, and it was THE BEST!!

18 Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking March 21, 2012 at 12:54 pm

Haha! That whisk is nearly the size of your precious boy’s head! What a great idea to flavor whipped cream… I never thought to do it, maybe because I’m nervous about messing with the purity of the plain whipped cream. Yours looks fantastic though! Thanks for the inspiration to try something new!

19 Lucy March 21, 2012 at 1:10 pm

love whipped cream – with a little Champagne cognac – and some powdered sugar. x

20 amy lamson March 21, 2012 at 2:12 pm

Okay, the food looks absolutely amazing, but I have to ask, where did you get the amazing fushia and turquois bowls? They would make anything taste sweeter!
Wonderful blog!

21 Sparkle and Co March 21, 2012 at 2:30 pm

Speechless… I’ll do some for my hubby ;)

22 Lora @cakeduchess March 21, 2012 at 3:06 pm

such pretty photos of something so simple and delicious to make. Your son is precious holding the whisk! I love mine with a touch of vanilla:)

23 Katrina March 21, 2012 at 4:11 pm

Oh boy! I’ll take all three please!

24 Allison [Girl's Guide to Social Media] March 21, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Nothing beats homemade whipped cream. Absolutely a treat!

25 Natalie @ Cooking for My Kids March 21, 2012 at 6:06 pm

I adore homemade whipped cream, and I make it all the time, too. But, I have never made chocolate or strawberry. Now I will, though. You are brilliant!

26 Marla March 21, 2012 at 7:48 pm

Natalie, you gotta try some new flavors. Addictive I tell you!

27 Jersey Girl Cooks March 21, 2012 at 6:59 pm

Love these ideas. I am a whipped cream fanatic. I don’t make it very often because I can eat the whole bowl.

28 Marla March 21, 2012 at 7:51 pm

A common problem my friend. I know certain folks also can’t keep jars of peanut butter in the house for the very same reason.

29 Roxana GreenGirl { A little bit of everything} March 21, 2012 at 7:32 pm

I love making my own whipped cream. We buy milk from a local farm. such a big difference from the store-bough one. And the cream, mmmm so so good!

30 Marla March 21, 2012 at 7:48 pm

Roxana, I really need to find a local farmer to buy milk & eggs from. You are right-such a huge difference!

31 Maria March 21, 2012 at 7:51 pm

Love all of the flavors! I will take a bowl of each:)

32 Rebekah March 21, 2012 at 7:55 pm

Never tried making my own whip cream. I will be making this over the weekend for sure! We like whip cream on our pancakes and waffles instead of syrup at our house. My kids think its more decadent than syrup. I like that it has less sugar!

33 Marla March 21, 2012 at 8:04 pm

Rebekah, whipped cream on pancakes and waffles is dreamy!!

34 Kiran @ KiranTarun.com March 21, 2012 at 8:08 pm

Love this post — something so simple yet informative. I love whipped cream with a touch of rosewater and pistachios. YUMMERS!

35 Marla March 22, 2012 at 4:34 am

Kiran, “rosewater and pistachios?!” Genius & elegant. Must try that!

36 Joanne March 22, 2012 at 4:52 am

My mom always used to decorate our birthday cakes with homemade whipped cream…and it really is the best! I love these fun flavor alternatives!

37 shelly (cookies and cups) March 22, 2012 at 5:16 am

Oh lord have mercy! This is the perfect post…my husband could skip dessert altogether and only eat whipped cream :) I like almost-butter whipped cream too :)

38 Rachel @ Not Rachael Ray (soon to be Rachel Cooks) March 22, 2012 at 5:39 am

Whipped cream is the best! I love it with cinnamon on top of pumpkin pie….mmmmmm.

39 Erin @ Brownie Bites March 22, 2012 at 6:10 am

The photos in this post are just lovely! There is certainly nothing wrong with real fat.

40 Sommer@ASpicyPerspective March 22, 2012 at 6:44 am

Well, who could ever turn this down?!?

41 Lauren from Lauren's Latest March 22, 2012 at 7:31 am

There is nothing better than fresh whipped cream!

42 Melissa March 22, 2012 at 10:24 am

Beautiful- I love it! I could bathe in homemade whipped cream, too! It’s so decadent and comforting at the same time :)

43 Amanda March 22, 2012 at 10:38 am

Beautiful!!! I love a great organic homemade whipped topping… love all your versions of it!!

44 Angie March 22, 2012 at 11:21 am

Yummy Treat no guilt! I want a big fat dollop on my coffee right now. Where do you find those gorgeous bowls and plates? So pretty!!!

45 Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. March 22, 2012 at 11:26 am

Too fabulous for words!

46 Brooke @ Food Woolf March 22, 2012 at 12:19 pm

Looks like you weren’t kidding about your kids loving whipped cream! What a great culinary tradition to have at home.

47 Andrea March 22, 2012 at 12:59 pm

I love homemade whipped cream! I always use my hand mixer, I’ve never thought of using the kitchen aid.. HA I’m definately going to have to do that next time. Have you tried cinnamon whipped cream? Love that! Going to be trying your yummy versions next.

48 Nisha March 22, 2012 at 3:07 pm

I haven’t tried making whipped cream at home yet; I always end up using the heavy cream for everything else. Been purchasing the Land o’Lakes brand, but now I’m thinking next time I’ll search for this Straus Family one – just for those lovely bottles :D
Looks like you made a LOT of cream. How do you store it and how many days does it keep well?

49 Charissa March 22, 2012 at 5:59 pm

Whipped cream is probably one of my biggest weaknesses…like ever. Right up there with chocolate.

50 Sara{OneTribeGourmet} March 22, 2012 at 7:30 pm

Wow homemade whipped cream…you had me at “cream”…I’m drooling! :)

51 Alyssa (Down_To_Earth) March 23, 2012 at 3:24 am

This is so fun! When I was a kid, I dreamed of having my own apartment and being able to eat whole cans of squirt whipped cream (because I was a grown-up and could do what I wanted) . . .now that I have my own place and (I guess I’m a grown-up), I’d much rather have this :) Thanks, Marla!

52 Sanjeeta kk March 23, 2012 at 3:52 am

Wow..this is clear food 3x, Marla :) Love..love your pictures!

53 brandi March 23, 2012 at 7:38 am

we have a local dairy, and their heavy cream tastes like ice cream. it’s incredible!

i love the idea of a strawberry whipped cream – so fun for spring!

54 Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) March 23, 2012 at 10:39 am

I’m with you, I whip my whipping cream a lot – the thicker the better! These look so delicious, makes me want to go make some right now. Something I don’t make often enough even though it really is so simple.

55 Tomi March 23, 2012 at 1:46 pm

I have to have that bowl! Where oh where did you get it?

56 angie March 23, 2012 at 2:44 pm

Wow, how beautiful and delicious does that cream look. Your pics are beyond gorgeous.

57 Marla March 23, 2012 at 5:36 pm

Thanks Angie. Photographing whipped cream was a treat in many ways!

58 Krista March 25, 2012 at 8:50 am

I just love this idea of flavoring whipped cream!!! I’ve used vanilla before but never thought to use other flavors. Thank you for inspiring me!

59 sweetsugarbelle March 26, 2012 at 3:38 pm

This is HEAVEN!

60 Straus Family Creamery March 26, 2012 at 5:03 pm

Hi there, Thanks for the wonderful post – we love that our products are your muse! The buttery color of our cream comes from the high levels of beta-carotene that naturally occurs in the sweet coastal grasses our cows eat. This is typical for the Sonoma and Marin County region of Northern California where all of our cows graze. ~ Helen.

61 Baker Street March 29, 2012 at 12:47 am

Homemade whipped cream sounds heavenly Marla! I’m going to try the strawberry soon.

62 quiescentmind March 29, 2012 at 9:40 am

I love whipped cream.

63 Kristina Vanni March 31, 2012 at 9:12 am

What a great extra touch! Great recipe to have on hand. Thanks for sharing!

64 Jen Laceda April 22, 2012 at 11:51 pm

hi, there! just found your blog through Pinterest and Google image search :) I’m Jen, and I’m a busy (and exhausted) mother of 3 slash food blogger slash blog reader slash stylist and photographer wanna-be! love, love, love the look and the friendly feel of your blog! i’ll be lurking around :)

65 Myranda May 6, 2012 at 11:25 am

How do you store and how many days does it keep?

66 Marla May 6, 2012 at 12:44 pm

Store in a airtight container for a few days.

67 amy marantino May 9, 2012 at 10:12 am

i want to try making the strawberry version

68 Sue {munchkin munchies} June 11, 2012 at 3:02 pm

I love to whip up the real deal, but have never experimented with flavors!?! Time to change that status! Thanks for the whipped cream refresher course and the inspiration:)

69 Marla June 11, 2012 at 4:53 pm

Sue, I love the real deal too! Both are now favorites over here :)

70 Mary Vrabel June 11, 2012 at 5:11 pm

Hello! Can’t wait to make this! Couldn’t agree more that one of the easiest yet most intimidating things to make! Could one use their blender for this? Thanks and have a great week!

71 Charmaine July 13, 2012 at 10:38 am

How long does it keep in a refrigerator?

72 Marla July 13, 2012 at 1:08 pm

Charmaine, it lasted for quite a few days for us. Should last several days, check out this helpful post on whipped cream storage from The Kitchn

73 Natalie August 16, 2012 at 9:54 am

Can you store this in a refrigerator container until it’s time to put it on your cake or pie and it won’t lose it’s texture? I am planning on using it on some keylime pie slices but I wanted to make sure that the consistency would still be the same. I am so excited!

74 Marla August 16, 2012 at 11:00 am

Hi Natalie, we store ours for a dew days. You might need to re-whip or whisk a bit before you serve though.

75 Farzana December 16, 2012 at 12:58 pm

How much mashed up strawberries did you use? I am thinking about making a vanillia cake with strawberry whipcream frosting for the cake. Just trying to get an idea. 1 cup? 2cup? I just want the whipcream to turn watery and not hold its shape.

76 Hotdogsally January 20, 2013 at 1:04 pm

Please, please, please share where the dishes came from?

77 Phyllis January 22, 2013 at 7:31 pm

homemade whipped cream….looks…sooo…good…oooh–ho-ho-ho this is just SWEeEtLY meeeeean…BTW i dont blame you for being afraid (in the past) just for the THOUGHT of making homemade whip cream …
wud you believe I had this FEAR of making pie crust YES! pie crust…wen i heard how everyone HAD to have this crust ever sooo flaky etc. etc…i was like oooh NO! i aint makin that!!! (as though they asked me to open the closet where the monster CUD be…. lol) and today eud you believe I actually get compliments on a good crust!! hmph! whoodda thunk??

78 Mary Newbury February 2, 2013 at 11:37 am

I am going to try white chocolate

79 Kelli Burau February 12, 2013 at 6:40 pm

Does this turn out if you do not have a stand mixer?

80 Marla February 13, 2013 at 2:51 am

You can probably use a hand mixer.

81 tanya hart March 17, 2013 at 2:42 pm

i am a little behind on getting my Kitchen Aid mixer, we’ve been married almost 13 years with 4 kids and i could’ve really have used it for years, but just got it about 3 weeks ago. i’ve made mashed potatoes, cookies, whipped cream, and am just getting started. i am glad i found your blog, and i know you will give me some great ideas on how to use this fabulous new tool and make many variations of whipped cream. thanks!

82 Mireille March 20, 2013 at 4:29 am

I adore whipped cream as well. Cool Whip always tasted like plastic to me and I never really liked plastic so . . . One way I’ve used whipped cream is to make cream cheese frosting. I find that regular cream cheese frosting is too thick for my tastes and so I mix an 8oz block of light cream cheese into the mixer with 1/2 cup of sugar and beat it until it’s light and fluffy and then I add a cup of heavy whipping cream. The kind I buy is 35%. I mix that in until it has a frosting-like consistency and then sometimes I add flavourings such as chocolate, strawberry or vanilla. This will frost 9″ cake. The recipe can be doubled to frost larger cakes as well. I’ve used this recipe for strawberry shortcakes and people loved it. Thanks for the great blog. Cheers, Mireille

83 Marla March 20, 2013 at 4:52 am

Such a great idea to change up cream cheese frosting!! Thanks Mireille :)

84 Angie @ Big Bear's Wife March 26, 2013 at 12:16 pm

mmm I’m excited to make the chocolate whipped cream! I really need to get one of those whisks attachments!

85 Lori jones March 26, 2013 at 2:21 pm

Oh what about lemon zest or just lemon juice???(flavor)

86 Marla March 26, 2013 at 2:34 pm

That would be amazing!!! Go for it :)

87 BreAnna May 16, 2013 at 2:45 pm

Hi Marla!

As simple as whipped cream is I have been intimidated by it until reading your blog post. so thank you! Sometimes I use Starbucks vanilla syrup as a two for one – vanilla & sweetener.
On another completely unrelated note: where did you get that bowl pictured holding whipped cream..the turquoise with a purple & pink flower design on it? It’s charming.

88 Tera May 30, 2013 at 8:48 pm

I LOVE that you’ve come so far in the kitchen after being afraid
at first!!! I buy the food and do the cooking, when I do make or buy the unhealthy stuff its gone in a blink of an eye. I to try to express the importance of portion control,I cant seem to get through!! Your blog is an inspiration & I cant wait to try everything!! I LOVE your decor and the country yet chic feel!! I hope you end up with your own bakery or for my sake (selling your photo’s,they would be a beautiful addition to my decor and I bet atleast 5 other woman I know would LOVE THEM as well!)if you do sell your photo’s Id love to find out more!! Thank you for the recipes!!

89 Chris June 4, 2013 at 3:47 am

For flavoring I’ve always used SF Jello or Pudding mixes. Maybe a teaspoon or two depending on amount of whipped cream I’m making. The mix blends in nicely.

90 Reagan July 1, 2013 at 9:16 pm

Try putting a cup of dry brownie mix into it! Delish :)

91 Tomi March 29, 2014 at 8:06 am

Finally, I found the answer to my question and several others. The bowl can be found at http://www.laylagrayce.com/Products/Rose-Blue-Salad-Bowl__PIP51003002.aspx

Gorgeous!