We can all agree that grilled cheese is like the best thing ever, right? I mean who do you know that doesn’t love it? From the moment little ones can chew their food they are hooked on this sammie. Grilled cheese is the ultimate comfort food that has crunch and oozy gooey melted, glorious cheese!
Did you think I would let you down for National Grilled Cheese Month? No way!
What makes mine gourmet? Read on to find out…
Have you ever had marinated mozzarella cheese? You can make it easily yourself by drenching mozzarella (or any cheese really) in your favorite Italian vinaigrette dressing.
You can also give it a soak in some lemon juice, olive oil and fresh herbs.
Add a few splashes of hot sauce if you wish.
The bread I use here is a crusty little number with some raisins and nuts in it. It tastes great toasted.
The sweetness from the raisins add a nice balance to the salty cheese…
Don’t forget some sliced cherry tomatoes too.
All of that greatness makes the usual grilled cheese a little bit gourmet!
You can also serve your grilled cheese with a fresh green salad…
Add some fresh herbs for even more flavor. We love thyme in ours.
A Rustic Roasted Tomato Basil Soup is the perfect partner too!
I lived on this combo when I was in Telluride. Soaking in the glory of the fall foliage last October…
You can use one slice of bread or two.
I enjoy mine open faced. My kids and hubs like the 2 slices of bread…
What is your favorite grilled cheese recipe? Here are a few of our favorites to check out…
Check out my Happy Post dedicated to this for more.
- Apple Pie Grilled Cheese (love that sweet + savory combo!)
- Classic Bacon and Cheddar
- Egg Battered Grilled Cheese
- Pumpkin Ricotta Stuffed French Toast/Grilled Cheese
- Strawberry Mozzarella
How will you be celebrating National Grilled Cheese Month?
- your favorite crusty Bread (we love whole grain with nuts and raisins)
- a little extra virgin Olive Oil
- a few slices Marinated Mozzarella (either purchase at the store or make your own)
- a few pinches fresh Herbs such as Thyme, Rosemary, Marjoram, Italian Parsley, Cilantro, Basil
- thinly sliced Cherry Tomatoes
- Cracked Black Pepper
- 12 ounces fresh water-packed Mozzarella Cheese, drained, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices or bite sized cubes
- 1/2 cup extra virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup White Wine Vinegar
- splash of Lemon Juice
- a few tablespoons fresh Herbs
- 1 Garlic Clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon Red Onion, minced
- Cracked Black Pepper
- a splash of Hot Sauce
- a few tablespoons Chopped Capers
- Combine all ingredients and soak mozzarella for 60 minutes at room temperature or soak overnight in the refrigerator.
- Brush olive oil on each side of the bread. Top with a few slices of marinated cheese, cherry tomatoes, herbs and pepper. Grill in the toaster, oven or on the stovetop. Serve with a side salad and soup.
More Recipes to Try
- Four Cheese Grilled Pimento Cheese with Bacon Evil Shenanigans
- Grilled Goat Cheese and Roasted Red Pepper Pesto Sandwich Closet Cooking
- Grilled Fontina, Mushroom and Sage Sandwiches There’s a Newf in my Soup!
- Grilled Ham, Pepperoni and Italian Cheese Sandwich The Cooking Photographer
- Tomato Pesto Grilled Cheese with Smoked Mozzarella Northwest Seasonal