Really great things can happen when there is an abundance of one ingredient on hand. I had cooked up a great big batch of barley and only needed a small amount for a lunch box recipe. Immediately I went into breakfast mode and came up with this super tasty breakfast bake!
Do you ever have barley for breakfast? If not you must! Let’s explore this fun grain together….don’t forget to grab those blackberries too!
If you don’t have fresh blackberries on hand you can use some frozen ones. If you don’t have any blackberries feel free to use raspberries, blueberries or strawberries instead. You can use any fruit really.
Don’t be shy…
I topped each bowl with a little bit of unsweetened coconut milk and a little stevia powder.
Some dried fruit too…
Barley is a fun grain for any time of the day.
I love it’s hearty whole grain flavor and the way it pops in your mouth. It is a nice twist instead of oatmeal. Though we still love up our favorite oatmeal many times a week.
Breakfast bakes and casseroles are great to have handy….pull them out of the fridge for mornings when you want a healthy homemade meal. Heat up individual portions. This is much better for you then most options found outside the some.
Much better for you than packages or pre-sweetened sugary quick oats…
What sort of breakfasts do you like to have on hand for busy days?
What kind of fruit do you think you will try in your barley breakfast bake?
- 3 cups cooked Barley, cook according to package directions
- 2 large Eggs, whisked
- 1/2 teaspoon ground Cinnamon
- pinch of Sea Salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
- Vanilla Stevia Drops, 1 full dropper
- 1/4 cup toasted, slivered Almonds
- 1 cup fresh or thawed frozen Blackberries, divide portion in half
- Pre heat oven to 350 degrees F with the rack in the middle. Spray a 8X8" bake safe casserole dish with cooking spray. Cut blackberries in half. Combine all of the ingredients gently folding in 1/2 cup of the blackberries last. Top the barley bake with the other 1/2 cup of sliced blackberries. Bake for about 1/2 hour until the barley is set. Serve with any of the following: cream, coconut milk, yogurt, almond milk, honey, maple syrup dried fruit or nuts.
- Feel free to use milk, goats milk, soy milk, unsweetened coconut or any other milk if you do not have almond milk on hand.
Barley Recipe Links
- 3 Grain Breakfast Bake Naurally Ella
- 3 Grain Breakfast with 3 Fresh Fruit Anja’s Food 4 Thought
- Baked Pearl Barley Porridge Scandi Foodie
- Banana Barley Flour Muffins Arctic Garden Studio
- Blackberry Barley Muffins Omnivorous
- Soy Barley Porridge with Umeboshi Scandi Foodie