You know what I love most about roasted beets? Their versatility and unique sweet/earthy flavor. I enjoy that they are the perfect stand alone side dish or awesome tossed into your favorite salad. They add a nice flavor and healthful twist to shakes and smoothies too…
I am going to keep things brief today as I am bopping all around Telluride enjoying inspiring movies, talks and gallery walks at MountainFilm 2012.
Telluride is as charming as always and I can’t wait to be here all summer long.
Back to beets….I roasted these with a splash of freshly squeezed orange juice and my favorite oil these days, unrefined coconut oil. Be sure to roast your beets until they are well softened. They are not as fun to bite into when too firm. Besides, all of their natural sweetness presents itself when they get lots of time in the oven.
The simple quality of the recipe shows you how few ingredients need to go into something for perfection. You will see these beets show up in a lot of my upcoming recipes so stay tuned!
How do you like to prepare beets?
- 1 bunch of Beets, cleaned, peeled and chopped into quarters
- 1 tablespoon fresh Orange Juice
- 1 tablespoon melted Unrefined Coconut Oil
- a few pinches of fine Sea Salt
- Orange Zest
- a splash of nutty oil (Walnut, Hazelnut, Pistachio or more Coconut Oil) to finish
- Pre heat oven to 400 degrees F with the rack in the middle. Toss beets with oil, orange juice and sea salt. Arrange in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet sheet or casserole dish. Roast 20 minutes and flip beets over so they roast evenly. Roast an additional 20-25 minutes until beets are tender. Garnish with some orange zest before serving.
- Roast a few bunches of beets at a time. They last a while in the fridge. Add enough oil and orange juice so they are glistening.
Roasted Beets Recipe Links
- Cucumber Cups with Roasted Beets and Yogurt Dressing Project Foodie
- Herbed Goat Cheese Tarts with Roasted Beets My Photo Journal
- Roasted Beets with Champagne Vinegar Nourished Network
- Roasted Beets with Poblano, Red Onion and Lime Kitchen Konfidence
- Sesame Roasted Beets and Greens For the Love of Food
- Spicy Roasted Golden Beets For the Love of Food