Vegan Whipped Cream – Vanilla, Chocolate, Coffee, Mocha

by Marla on June 11, 2012 · 76 comments

Vegan Coconut Whipped Cream {vanilla, mocha, coffee & chocolate flavors} | recipe on FamilyFreshCooking.com

Did you know that you can make homemade whipped cream out of coconut milk?! Oh yes you can and it might just be one of the best things you will ever taste.

In your lifetime….

Especially when you can make it in so many tempting flavors. Why have just vanilla ( though vanilla is amazing! ) when you can have naturally flavored chocolate, coffee and mocha too?

The sky is the limit here. Try some berry flavored creams too. ‘Tis the season!

*You can also see my recipe for Homemade Whipped Cream: Vanilla, Chocolate, Strawberry

I have been dreaming about making this vegan coconut cream for a while now. I first saw this recipe on one of my favorite vegan blogs ~ Healthy Happy Life

I often refer to Kathy’s coconut whip in my recipes. I figured it was time to post this genius creation!

Let’s take a closer look at my 4 flavors, shall we?

There is really nothing to it. You put a few cans of full fat coconut milk (don’t use the light kind or it won’t whip) in the fridge overnight. You scoop out the thick creamy part. Then you whip it all up in in your mixer. Sweeten the whole batch, divide into portions and whisk in your flavorings.

Now that is easy huh!

I pair this coconut cream with everything! You can enjoy it in my  Gluten Free Banana Cream Pie. You will crave it on your Extra Crumbly Plum Crisp and crumbles as well. My Vegan Chocolate Banana Scones would taste amazing dipped in this cream too!

Pipe onto cakes, muffins or cupcakes or just eat it by the spoonful!

I love it with Coconut Blueberry Oatmeal, stirred into Homemade Skinny Frappucciono’s and Skinny Chocolate Lover’s Milkshakes. Try some on a stack of Gluten Free Blueberry Pancakes or a dollop on Tutti Fruitti Stuffed French Toast.

You can also use this as coffee creamers. Really the sky is the limit!

This recipe is great for folks on Paleo, gluten free, sugar free and dairy free diets.

Have you ever made coconut whipped cream? If so what are some other flavors to try?

Vegan Whipped Cream – Chocolate, Vanilla, Coffee, Mocha

• Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
  • Coffee
  • instant Coffee or Espresso powder
  • Mocha
  • Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
  • instant Coffee or Espresso powder

• Chill coconut milk in the cans overnight. Open the cans without shaking them and carefully scoop out the thick, creamy part. Add this thick cream to your mixer bowl. With the whip attachment, start on medium speed and increase to high. Whip for about 5 minutes until you have thick whipped peaks. Sweeten to taste.
  • For Flavored Cream - divide cream into portions. I used a small hand whisk to combine the flavorings.
  • Chocolate
  • Whisk in unsweetened cocoa powder.
  • Coffee
  • Whisk in instant coffee or instant espresso powder.
  • Mocha
  • Whisk in unsweetened cocoa powder and instant coffee.
  • Cinnamon
  • Whisk in ground cinnamon.
  • Notes
  • You can also sweeten with powdered sugar, honey, maple or agave while whipping.
  • You will have some coconut water left over, you can store this in your refrigerator to use in smoothies and shakes.
Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

Vegan Whipped Cream Recipe Links

1 Noelle (@singerinkitchen) June 11, 2012 at 8:34 am

delicious!!!

2 Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free June 11, 2012 at 8:38 am

I always keep a jar of coconut milk in the fridge because I LOVE making coconut milk whipped cream. It is the best!!! so tasty and so easy. I’ve made vanilla, strawberry, chocolate, and cinnamon cream before…but I love the idea of coffee!

3 Marla June 11, 2012 at 4:49 pm

Alex, isn’t this whipped cream the best?! We will always have some on hand in the fridge from now on :)

4 Rosa June 11, 2012 at 8:42 am

I didn’t know one could whip coconut cream. A lovely post and great clicks.

5 Marla June 11, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Rosa ~ yes you can and you must! Someday :)

6 Katrina June 11, 2012 at 8:45 am

This looks so awesome! I want all of the flavours in a bowl! haha

7 Marla June 11, 2012 at 4:51 pm

Katrina, thats the way to do it!!

8 Sommer@ASpicyPerspective June 11, 2012 at 9:20 am

Marla, you are the hero of the day! I didn’t know this was possible.

9 Averie @ Averie Cooks June 11, 2012 at 9:23 am

Gorgeous. The recipes themselves (love coconut milk) and have never whipped it quite to that frothy state. But the photos…truly every shoot just looks better than the last. Love the old planks and yes, I can tell they are really actually vintage and not made to look vintage. I need to shop where you shop :)

10 Marla June 11, 2012 at 4:19 pm

Averie, YOU would LOVE this coconut whipped cream!!! I mean lick off the spoon GREATNESS!! The “old planks” is actually a recent vintage table score ~ I flipped when I saw it tucked + hidden in the corner of a local antiques store. I mean doesn’t everyone want an OLD FARM TABLE??? Yes, you and I should go prop shopping some day soon. xo

11 Courtney @ Bake.Eat.Repeat. June 11, 2012 at 9:54 am

Wow! Who knew? This is absolutely lovely…and such a great way to glam up a vegan dessert!

12 Marla June 11, 2012 at 4:06 pm

Hi Courtney ~ I love the whole idea of GLAM!!! + Dessert!

13 Maria June 11, 2012 at 10:15 am

Oh yum!!

14 Jen @ Savory Simple June 11, 2012 at 10:36 am

Wow, I had NO idea you could whip coconut milk!!! Thank you so much!

15 Cassie (bake your day) June 11, 2012 at 11:19 am

Marla, I had no idea that you can make whipped cream from coconut milk, fabulous find today. Great photos too!

16 angie June 11, 2012 at 2:59 pm

coconut milk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! who knew. love it. coconut cream pie and coconut milk whipped cream its a dream come true
i am in canada. kristine (your biggest canadian fan) and i are going to whip up a little coconut whipped cream for our pancakes tomorrow morning, the kids will love it! us too!!

17 Kristina Vanni June 11, 2012 at 3:38 pm

What a great idea and great recipe to have on hand. I love this new and fresh take on whipped cream!

18 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers June 11, 2012 at 8:37 pm

I’ve seen this popping around the blog world, I love it!! I’m going to try it out! Thanks Marla! I love all of the flavors you made!

19 Allison [Girl's Guide to Social Media] June 11, 2012 at 9:28 pm

I had no idea you could make whipped cream from coconut milk. Thanks for the inspiration!

20 Sanjeeta kk June 12, 2012 at 2:37 am

My..my what gorgeous clicks, Marla..from where do you get such pretty vibrant and colorful napkins?

21 Marla June 12, 2012 at 6:13 am

Hi Sanjeeta, that is actually swatches of Amy Butler fabric :) She is so talented!

22 chinmayie @ love food eat June 12, 2012 at 3:32 am

I have been thinking about the possibility of whipped coconut milk into thick cream for a long time now. I never tried it and never even searched if it exist online. Thank you for making my life easier ;)

23 Marla June 12, 2012 at 6:13 am

I am soooooo happy I just made you life easier!! The search is over :)

24 Catherine June 12, 2012 at 6:58 am

I am thrilled to have this recipe! I have been looking for an alternative to a milk based whipped cream. Just in time for summer and all the fruity goodness coming our way!

25 Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. June 12, 2012 at 7:35 am

very fun and creative! I’ll have to give these a try

26 teresa June 12, 2012 at 8:50 am

This is dreamy!
Your pictures are amazing Marla!
You seriously need to conduct photography FOOD styling workshops!
Where on earth did you get that piece of distressed red/pink wood!
Love it all!
Bright and CHEERY just like YOU!
xo

27 Rachel Cooks June 12, 2012 at 11:19 am

So fun and easy!

28 Kitchen Belleicious June 12, 2012 at 6:37 pm

to die for! Period!

29 Marina {YummyMummyKitchen.com} June 12, 2012 at 8:59 pm

I know this is rude but I’m going to say it anyway…. I just want to lick all those bowls clean! Amazing, Marla! And I love that backdrop!

30 Marla June 13, 2012 at 5:53 am

Ha!! When I first started reading this comment I thought spam Miss Marina, those words took me by surprise!! You crack me up girl :)

31 Faith June 13, 2012 at 5:27 am

I LOVE coconut whipped cream! It’s delicious eaten as-is, but it’s also insanely good on top of coffee or a shake for a real treat! Can’t wait to try your mocha flavor, Marla!

32 Marla June 13, 2012 at 5:52 am

Faith, I LOVE it with my hot coffee and milkshakes too!

33 Rikki June 14, 2012 at 9:16 am

Oh my gosh Marla, this looks amazing! That mocha one has my name written all over it. I bet it would be so delicious on a chocolate milkshake. MUST try this!

34 Marla June 14, 2012 at 5:07 pm

Rikki, the mocha is great pom everything and amazing for coffee junkies! Hope you can try some soon, great idea to put a few dollops on your chocolate milkshake!

35 Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen June 14, 2012 at 5:16 pm

Mmmm….now I need to bake something to put all these yummy whipped creams on!

36 Jeanette June 16, 2012 at 7:00 am

Gorgeous Marla – love all the flavors!

37 Loretta June 16, 2012 at 7:32 am

I’m confused and maybe a little dense. I didn’t know there was such a thing as unsweetened cocoa powder and cocoa powder. Is that a typo, or just me being ignorant?

38 Marla June 16, 2012 at 7:36 am

Hi Loretta, I have to make the differentiation between the two. Sometimes people think that cocoa powder is regular hot cocoa mix with all the sugar and other ingredients.

39 Loretta June 16, 2012 at 9:50 am

Thanks for the quick reply. After I posted my question, I saw that in one spot it said to use unsweetened cocoa powder and espresso powder/instant coffee and in another it said unsweetened cocoa powder and cocoa powder. Thus the confusion…

40 DessertForTwo June 16, 2012 at 7:48 am

How fun! I’ve got to try this! Thanks for sharing :)

41 EA-The Spicy RD June 18, 2012 at 7:32 pm

I just made some {gluten-free} strawberry shortcakes last night with regular old fashioned whipped cream, but I’d love to give this vegan version a try. Such gorgeous whipped cream!!

42 Alyssa (Down_To_Earth) June 20, 2012 at 6:23 pm

Oh man, I will be eating this every day for the rest of my life. :)

43 Marla June 20, 2012 at 7:26 pm

Awesome! I think that is a great plan!!

44 Jes Nava June 26, 2012 at 2:49 pm

Looks amazing! Can’t wait to try it. Once whipped, what is the nutritional information? Thx

45 Rosie @ Sweetapolita July 1, 2012 at 4:06 am

Marla, this looks like fluffy clouds of coconut bliss! I sincerely can’t wait to try this and to incorporate it into some of my desserts–and I love that it’s vegan. Gorgeous photos too! xo

46 Jocelyn August 9, 2012 at 5:58 pm

I finally tried this and am in heaven. Made the cinnamon, chocolate, and vanilla (real vanilla beans) and they were all delicious. Will be using this recipe regularly thank you!!!

47 Marla August 10, 2012 at 3:57 am

Yay!! I am soooo glad you tried this!! I always have a batch ready to go in the fridge. Addicted to this stuff. I must try some with the vanilla bean too :)

48 Margaret August 10, 2012 at 3:15 am

I’m curious, does it taste like coconut? I don’t care for coconut’s flavor, so I always shy away from coconut milk. But I agree, beautiful pictures!

49 Marla August 10, 2012 at 3:55 am

Yes it does taste like coconut :)

50 Katie September 26, 2012 at 7:51 pm

Got online specifically to find a healthy alternative to the traditional sugar-laden frosting…voila! So excited to try different flavors and in different things…how does it hold up?…say if I made some to use in coffee…does it keep to use the following day as well, or get blah like the real deal does

51 Marla September 26, 2012 at 8:29 pm

Katie, you are totally in LUCK with this whipped cream. Mine stays perfect for many days….it actually thickens up in the fridge. Does not need to be re-whipped at all. You can decorate with it too. If you need it to soften up a bit take it out of the fridge a little bit ahead to warm up. Enjoy! I am thrilled that you found my blog and this recipe.

52 Cherylyn Robinson October 2, 2012 at 1:42 pm

I’m soooo happy that i’ve found this recipe. I HATE vegan synthetic cream, so i haven’t had any cream for such a long time. I will be making this at the weekend and using it to fill a chocolate birthday cake. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

53 Brooke November 6, 2012 at 5:36 am

Hi. I tried this and it didn’t whip at all. I used fresh coconut milk that I had chilled overnight in the fridge. But I spooned the cream off the top and don’t understand why it didn’t whip up. Any ideas? Thanks.

54 Lisa November 22, 2012 at 1:45 pm

I tried this also and it didn’t whip? Any tips or suggestions to make it come out right?
Thanks!

55 Marla November 22, 2012 at 2:10 pm

It needs to be chilled overnight & full fat coconut milk. Make sure you poured off the water that separated as well.

56 Steph December 16, 2012 at 1:26 pm

I made some chocolate this morning and it was amazing!!! I love your recipes! My kids have allergies so sometimes things get boring for them so I’m always on the look out for things they can have. Thank you!

57 Catherine January 10, 2013 at 10:49 pm

Hello, This is so incredibly interesting and can’t wait to try it. Can I ask what brand of coconut milk you used for this recipe? I have 2 different cans, one can, Golden Star is approx 22g of fat, while another can, Coco Lopez Coconut Cream is approx 6g of fat. Thank you!!

58 Marla January 11, 2013 at 2:14 am

Hi Catherine, you need the real think and fatty stuff ~ go with the Golden Star (22g) thanks!

59 Liz @ The Lemon Bowl February 8, 2013 at 9:07 am

I can not wait to try this!!

60 Christina D April 8, 2013 at 8:29 pm

Not only am I new to your site, I am new to the gluten free, wheat free, corn free, dairy free world! (and quite overwhelmed by it) Just wanted to say thank you for giving me a recipe that is incredibly simple and so delicious! I am looking forward to looking through the rest of your site!

61 Marla April 9, 2013 at 5:37 am

Welcome Christina! So glad you found Family Fresh Cooking as well. Enjoy this whipped cream recipe ~ one of my all time favorites!

62 Jenn April 20, 2013 at 2:36 pm

I hope this doesn’t sound like a stupid question, but i’m slowly trying to ween myself off of dairy products & i was wondering if i could use plain whipped coconut cream to replace yogurt for my smoothies?

Will it still give my smoothies that creamy texture?

LOVE this idea & your blog btw!

63 Marla April 20, 2013 at 2:59 pm

Hi Jenn! Thanks for your comment. I love this whipped cream in my smoothies & shakes. A little goes a long way too!

64 Kim May 6, 2013 at 5:00 pm

Hi. Does the whipped coconut cream store well? Can I make it the night before I need it? Thanks!

65 Marla May 6, 2013 at 7:59 pm

Absolutely! I should store well for a few days.

66 Jennifer May 8, 2013 at 8:12 am

Can you make these into icecream? I would love a big bowl of chocolate, peanut butter icecream but I’m staying away from dairy.
I’m going to make the vanilla for my gluten free dairy free carrot pie.

67 Ana September 23, 2013 at 6:06 pm

will this work in a trifle or will it wilt and get watery? I am trying to make a vegan pumpkin trifle with a vegan pumpkin bread and I’m going to try and make some vegan pudding of some sort too.

68 Marla September 24, 2013 at 5:48 am

Great question….I’m not really sure. Perhaps make some mini trifles & test first? Would be sooooo tasty!

69 Melissa November 3, 2013 at 6:14 pm

correction?

Mocha
Whisk in unsweetened cocoa powder and cocoa powder.
instant espresso?

70 Marla November 3, 2013 at 6:44 pm

Thanks so much I made the change :)

71 Esther March 22, 2014 at 5:50 pm

Can I use coconut cream in baking like potato scallops? Will the potatoes end up tasting like coconut? Thank you.

72 Marla March 22, 2014 at 6:35 pm

This whipped cream is more for sweets & desserts. I would not use it in scallop potatoes ~ it does taste like coconut.