I have been reading about vegan ice creams made from coconut milk for quite some time. I recently jumped on the bandwagon encouraged by the fabulous Alice Currah from SavorySweetLife.com. In her new cookbook SAVORY SWEET LIFE: 100 Simply Delicious Recipes for Every Family Occasion she has a recipe for Chocolate Cookies ‘n’ Cream “Ice Cream. ”
I gasped and reached for my coconut milk as soon as I flipped the page and saw this recipe.
That there is the book cover. Are those chicken kebabs tempting or what?!
I knew immediatly this ice cream was going to be the recipe I had to try first.
Forgive me. The ice cream you are enjoying is quickly melting. Between a combination of jet lag and 2 little kids reaching for this ice cream I got a bit side tracked.
My Chocolate + Cherry Ice Cream quickly became a float! I was still crazy tasty. Frozen or not. Just sip it with a straw if this happens to you.
I made my usual adaptations ~ instead of Oreo cookies (which sound wonderful by the way) I added fresh summer cherries. And a generous dollop of my Homemade Coconut Whipped Cream (which is vegan too.)
By the way….have I shared how I am obsessed with cherry blossoms? I am.
My version of this ice cream is also sugar free. That will help free up your waistline for summer pool play dates.
Savory Sweet Life is full of recipes that I must try. Not only are Alice’s photographs stunning, but her headnotes and writing style bring you into a world of love, laughter and family fun! She has a friendly writing style that makes you feel like you are welcomed at her table any time.
The book has only been out 2 weeks and you can see all the top notch press it has all ready been receiving.
What gives the Savory Sweet Life cookbook a fun twist is how Alice organizes the recipes and chapters, all based on lifestyle & experiences. Themes such as Sunday Mornings, Block Party, Summer Fun in the Sun, Tween Birthday Bash and Holiday Get-Together showcase memories that can be created around the comfort of cooking at home.
There are lots of great memories to be had over great food…
The book has 100 recipes that are simple to prepare, but have vibrant flavors sure to become family favorites. A few recipes that have particularly caught my eye are:
- Breakfast Pizza
- Dad’s Carrot Cake
- Game-Day Steak Nachos
- Corn Pudding
- Heavenly Almond Pound Cake
- Chop Chop Salad
- Crab Lemon Basil Pasta
- Perfect Scrambled Eggs
- Scalloped Potato Leek Gratin
- Rich Hot Chocolate
By the way, Alice ~ I am writing myself an invitation to your home for breakfast, lunch, dinner & snacks. OK?!
- 2 cans (27 ounces) full fat coconut milk (13.5 oz cans) - unflavored and unsweetened
- 4 tablespoons (20 grams) Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1 cup Cherries (170 grams), pitted and roughly chopped
- 3 full droppers Vanilla Stevia Drops to taste
- pinch of Sea Salt
- Refrigerate coconut milk overnight so the thick cream separates from the coconut water. Prepare your ice cream maker the night before if needed.
- Carefully remove the coconut milk from the fridge, open the cans and pour the thick cream into your blender. Blend with cocoa powder, stevia and sea salt.
- Add mixture to your ice cream maker. Make ice cream according to your manufacturers directions. Fold in cherries the last few minutes of the process or by hand.
- Put ice cream in a covered plastic container and into your freezer. Chill for a few hours and serve.
- Add any toppings you desire. My Vegan Coconut Whipped Cream is awesome on this!
Congrats to entry #8 Marybeth! Stay tuned for more fun giveaways soon.
One lucky reader of Family Fresh Cooking will win a SAVORY SWEET LIFE: 100 Simply Delicious Recipes for Every Family Occasion cookbook
How to Enter…
This giveaway is open until Friday (7/13/2012) 11:59:59 pm CDT . It is open to USA fans of FamilyFreshCooking.com. Please see below how to enter, leave a separate comment for each of the steps listed below. You can leave one comment (entry) or many comments (entries) The choice is yours. If you don’t leave separate comments for each step, the number generator will not count them as separate entries.
Do any or all of the following…
Remember to leave a comment for each thing you do.
- Tell me what your favorite ice cream flavor is.
- Follow my boards on Pinterest
- Pin this post onto your Pinterest boards
- Twitter follow me @MarlaMeridith
- Twitter follow Alice @savorysweetlife
- Tweet this giveaway, being sure to include my Twitter handle (@MarlaMeridith). Here’s a sample tweet you could use or make up your own: Win a Savory Sweet Life cookbook by @savorysweetlife on FamilyFreshCooking.com @MarlaMeridith http://su.pr/4sAXdd #giveaway
- Pick a favorite Family Fresh Cooking Recipe & leave a comment on that post.
- Sign up for my Email or RSS feeds
- Stumble this post & follow @Marla-Meridith on StumbleUpon
- Instagram Follow Me
- Add the Family Fresh Cooking badge into your sidebar or somewhere on your blog
- Share this giveaway in any other creative way you can think up & let me know what that is.
Some Recipes to try from Savory Sweet Life blog
- Chantrelle Mushroom and Kale Pizza
- Chicken Almond Casserole
- Peach Blueberry Coffee Cake
- Roasted Tomato Feta Scones
- Strawberry Almond Stuffed French Toast
FamilyFreshCooking.com disclosure: I was sent a review copy and offered a giveaway copy of this book for you my dear readers. I only review products and books that suit my fancy. The book