Homemade Raspberry Applesauce

by Marla on July 24, 2012 · 66 comments

Homemade Raspberry Applesauce on Family Fresh Cooking blog IMG 8471

Can we talk about something delightfully simple? How does Homemade Raspberry Applesauce sound? Simple fruity flavors combine to razzle dazzle your tastebuds with joy!

Sinfully sweet with nothing added but sun ripened raspberries and plump, juicy apples…

Fruitful!
Homemade Raspberry Applesauce on Family Fresh Cooking blog IMG 8484

When I first started Family Fresh Cooking I had never made homemade applesauce.

I know that sounds kind freaky, being that a cooking/lifestyle  blog has become my foull time job.

Homemade applesauce is easy, delicious and a great starting point for so many other recipes. I love to dip my Stuffed French Toast in it too.

Homemade Raspberry Applesauce on Family Fresh Cooking blog IMG 8468

These days you can usually find some saucy creation in our fridge and freezer. I love to experiment with all different fruity combos, herbal and spicy seasonings.

These infusions are aromatic and can be fun flavor twists. Try my Cherry Earl Grey Applesauce ~ a simple elegant recipe.

Homemade Raspberry Applesauce on Family Fresh Cooking blog IMG 8481

The great news is you really cannot go wrong.

Homemade Raspberry Applesauce on Family Fresh Cooking blog IMG 8461

The other great news is this is perfect for Project LunchBox too. Pack some homemade applesauce in your kids lunchbox, for camp or school. You can freeze it in little to-go containers. It then doubles as an ice pack and a healthy sweet treat.

By the time lunch or snack time rolls around your frozen applesauce becomes and icy or super chilled treat.

Homemade Raspberry Applesauce on Family Fresh Cooking blog IMG 8476

Do you ever make homemade applesauce? If so what do you like to add to yours?

Homemade Raspberry Applesauce on Family Fresh Cooking blog IMG 8487

Homemade Raspberry Applesauce

Rating: 51

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook Time: 30 minutes

Total Time: 35 minutes

Yield: 8-10 servings

Serving Size: 1/2 cup (4 ounces)

Homemade Raspberry Applesauce

• 6 Apples, cored, cut into chunky pieces
  • 10 ounces fresh or frozen Raspberries
  • 3/4 cup Water
  • splash of Lemon Juice
  • a few pinches ground Cinnamon, Ginger or any spice you like
  • Optional
  • Natural Sweetener to taste if needed

• Bring all ingredients to a boil in a large saucepan. Reduce to a simmer, partially cover the pot and cook for 25-30 minutes until the fruit is nice and tender, Carefully transfer fruit sauce to a blender or food processor. Purée until well combined. Serve warm or chilled.
  • Notes
  • I do not remove the apple skins. They add great nutrients, flavor and fiber.
  • Use your favorite apple variety for homemade applesauce. We love Pink Lady, Granny Smith, Gala and Honey Crisp apples. A combo is great too.
  • Add your favorite natural sweetener to taste of needed. This will depend on the overall sweetness of your fruit.
Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

Applesauce Recipe Links

1 Averie @ Averie Cooks July 24, 2012 at 7:31 pm

Fresh raspberries are a total delicacy and this applesauce, well, you’d win lots of blue ribbons at the fair with it – and stunning!!! images (as usual)

2 Marla July 24, 2012 at 7:37 pm

Blue ribbons? For reals? OK then, I will need to find a county fair to bring my applesauce to. Thanks for your sweetness! xo

3 Heather (Heather's Dish) July 24, 2012 at 7:54 pm

PRETTIEST.
APPLESAUCE.
EVER!

4 Marla July 24, 2012 at 8:00 pm

Awwww, thank you Heather!

5 Jeanette July 24, 2012 at 8:51 pm

Fresh raspberries are my favorite – gorgeous applesauce Marla!

6 Rosa July 24, 2012 at 11:13 pm

A wonderful combination! Divine.

7 katie @KatieDid July 25, 2012 at 4:13 am

I made a chai tea vanilla applesauce this past fall, it was amazing. Nothing, nothing compares to homemade applesauce.

8 Marla July 25, 2012 at 4:54 am

I agree with you Katie ~ makes you never want to purchase the jars at the store. Soooooo easy, tasty, healthy and it makes your house smell amazing! Chai tea vanilla is one of my favorites as well!

9 bridget {bake at 350} July 25, 2012 at 6:37 am

Marla….this is GORGEOUS!!!

10 Maria July 25, 2012 at 6:42 am

so pretty Marla! I am sure Caleb would love it too:)

11 Deborah July 25, 2012 at 6:42 am

We go through a ton of applesauce – both of my kids love it! And I know that they would love the addition of raspberries. Sounds delightful!

12 Meghan July 25, 2012 at 7:18 am

Raspberry apple sauce sounds and looks divine! The raspberries add such a beautiful pop of color and summer! Gorgeous photos Marla!

13 Stephanie July 25, 2012 at 9:09 am

I’ve never made homemade applesauce either. This looks way too simple to not give it a try!

14 Marla July 25, 2012 at 11:17 am

Stephanie, homemade applesauce is beyond simple and the best part is you can make giant quantities at one go. Refrigerate some and freeze the rest :)

15 Sommer@ASpicyPerspective July 25, 2012 at 9:34 am

That, my dear, is a GREAT idea! We love homemade applesauce. Why not add berries?

16 Marla July 25, 2012 at 11:16 am

Sommer, berries rule my world. They need to be added to everything ;)

17 Teawench July 25, 2012 at 9:56 am

Yay! Another applesauce recipe! They’re my favorite part of your blog.

18 Marla July 25, 2012 at 11:15 am

Thank you!! I love that you are a great fan of my applesauce recipes :) I’ll come up with some more soon!

19 Jessica@AKitchenAddiction July 25, 2012 at 10:02 am

I love homemade applesauce! This raspberry variation is perfect!

20 Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. July 25, 2012 at 12:07 pm

oh yumminess! Love this Marla so creative

21 Marla July 25, 2012 at 12:35 pm

Thanks Alison!!!

22 Jen @ Savory Simple July 25, 2012 at 12:40 pm

Beautiful photos! This is such a great update on applesauce.

23 Yelena July 25, 2012 at 1:28 pm

Beautiful color, amazing recipe! Thank you-))

24 Kiran @ KiranTarun.com July 25, 2012 at 1:44 pm

DELICIOUS! Pinned :)
xo

25 Rikki July 25, 2012 at 3:31 pm

I’ve never actually made homemade applesauce- bad right? haha. But I love my grandma’s homemade applesauce, store bought can’t beat it. I was just thinking today about how excited I am for raspberry picking coming up. They are my absolute favorite fruit. This looks so good!

26 Andrea DiGeronimo July 25, 2012 at 6:02 pm

WOW, SSSOOOOO BEAUTIFUL!!!!

What came first the raspberry applesauce or the beautiful napkins/prints? They look like a match made in heaven, as does the apple & raspberry sauce combo!

We might be visiting CA in October. Possibly around the 13th. Depends on the date of a possible post wedding reception for Jill & Neil.

Love to you and the family!

27 Marla July 25, 2012 at 7:10 pm

Andrea, that is so exciting!!!! October 13th would be a perfect time to visit. No travel plans scheduled for me at that time. Yet. Let’s chat so we can figure out a plan.

The Liberty print and raspberries all kinda happened together ;) Glad you likey!!

28 Minnie(@thelady8home) July 26, 2012 at 2:19 am

Lovely and sounds really delicious. Loved your photographs. The fresh raspberries, feel like picking up one and put in my mouth haha. Thanks for sharing.

29 Joanne July 26, 2012 at 4:57 am

What a fabulous idea! Raspberries always tend to get moldy in my hands VERY quickly. I love this way to use them before that happens!

30 Lucy lean July 26, 2012 at 7:30 am

Love the colors jumping off the screen in the post – the raspberries against the Liberty print are so vibrant. Big applesauce fan and especially like the idea of using frozen in a lunch box for a mid day slushy!

31 susan July 26, 2012 at 8:35 am

that’s gorgeous, Marla. All of it is fab. Love the little jars!

32 Nancy@acommunaltable July 26, 2012 at 1:57 pm

A brilliant idea Marla – I love recipes like this that are so versatile!!!

33 carolinaheartstrings July 26, 2012 at 4:13 pm

That looks so delicious! Cannot wait to give it a try. A new family favorite!

34 HeatherChristo July 26, 2012 at 4:29 pm

Delicious and Healthy!!

35 Brooke @ Food Woolf July 26, 2012 at 9:48 pm

What a sweet (no fat!) treat!

36 Allison [Girl's Guide to Social Media] July 27, 2012 at 4:46 am

I love how easy this is!! Maybe I’ll make a batch this weekend. :)

37 Kristen July 27, 2012 at 9:21 am

What a great idea, Marla! And beautiful pictures too.

38 Sue {munchkin munchies} July 27, 2012 at 10:17 am

I am going to an apple farm next week and you can bet I will be making this applesauce:) Thanks! Such stunning photos, as usual.

39 Anna July 27, 2012 at 1:31 pm

Your food photos are wonderful- very simple and appetizing! TI makes your recipes look even better!

40 kristen duke photography July 28, 2012 at 10:53 am

I just found your blog via this post, and your photography is STUNNING! As a portrait photographer turned blogger of all things, I want so badly to be a better food photographer–it’s tough to make food look good! Your book is currently in my amazon shopping cart, I’m hoping to learn some things to help me in this area! I’m also changing my families eating habits to eat better, so excited as I peruse all over your recipes, and I’ve added your wonderfully colorful pinterest to my reads as well. Anxious to “get to know you better” via these social mediums;)

41 Kristi Rimkus July 29, 2012 at 7:59 pm

What a terrific use for this summer’s raspberries. They spoil so quickly that I usually have to freeze them in order not to waste them. I would never have thought to combine them in an applesauce. The flavors would pair well together.

42 Kristina Vanni July 29, 2012 at 9:34 pm

So simple and delicious! What a great way to celebrate summer!

43 aida mollenkamp July 30, 2012 at 4:53 pm

What a tasty applesauce, Marla!

44 Kare @ Kitchen Treaty & The Hazel Bloom August 3, 2012 at 8:32 am

This is gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous (and sounds so divine)! Loving the ideas for applesauce mix-ins (and dipping french toast into it – genius). I usually drive over the mountains in September or early October to retrieve a big, huge box of fresh apples from Eastern Washington, then I spend a day making a big ol’ batch of the stuff to can. Though the most fancy I get is throwing a few Asian pears into the mix.

I’m inspired to try a few new things this year. Thanks for that – and thanks also for the link to my applesauce pancakes!

45 Erin @ Texanerin Baking August 14, 2012 at 11:37 am

Oh my goodness. This is amazing! I’ve made strawberry applesauce before but I love raspberries even more so I have to make this! I’ll give it a try tomorrow. :) Love that it’s sweetener free and your pictures are absolutely amazing! So bright and cheery.

46 Erin @ Texanerin Baking August 15, 2012 at 12:55 pm

This is delicious! I used really tart apples and sour frozen raspberries, doubled it, or something like that, and had to add 1/4 cup honey. So little sweetener for 3 1/4 pounds of fruit. Sounds good to me! And it’s a beautiful color. WAY prettier than the strawberry applesauce I made a few months ago. :) Thanks for the recipe!

47 Marla August 15, 2012 at 3:26 pm

Awesome Erin…so happy to hear you had such great success! You are right, not much honey to make so much fruit sweet. Love that!

48 Jen August 23, 2012 at 2:49 pm

Such beautiful pictures! And I do like the combination of apples with raspberries. Nicely done!

49 Cynthia September 24, 2012 at 9:42 pm

My raspberries, unfortunately, had gone bad quickly, so I haven’t tried it with them. But, this recipe was forgiving! A friend that tried it said I could make a fortune selling it, that it was better than any applesauce he’d tried. I told him I couldn’t take credit! Hahaha Thanks for a wonderful treat that our family just loves.

50 cenessia September 12, 2013 at 11:34 am

can you use strawberries in place of the raspberries

51 Marla September 12, 2013 at 2:08 pm

Sure!! You can also do a search for my strawberry applesauce :)

52 Gina K October 2, 2013 at 10:22 am

I made this recipe a couple days ago and am blown away by how fantastic it tastes! I did have to add a little bit of sugar because I used apples that were given to me from a friend’s apple tree, and they’re a tart variety. But I wanted to find a way to combine the fresh raspberries I picked on Monday, and the apples that were given to us…what a great recipe to have tried! I decided to can my batch though…and I HWB’d in pint jars for 20 minutes. Now we have some to enjoy through the winter!
Thanks so much for sharing your recipe!

53 Amber August 24, 2014 at 1:00 pm

This was amazing! I never liked store bought applesauce, but this is much much better than that crap. I put a few extra raspberries in it, along with a pinch of cinnamon and some maple syrup. Thanks for the easy recipe!