Looking for some cool, healthy, summer sips? Have you ever tried a lassi? I know you have had plenty of milkshakes. This chilly, creamy, sweet drink is your favorite milkshake with some saffron sass thrown in.
Lassi’s are common in India, Malaysia and plenty of beautiful regions that I need to visit some day. Sweet versions include fruit, saffron and yogurt.
For now I will sip mine poolside here in USA ~ Join me for some lassi milkshakes and let’s dream about far away, exotic parts of the globe…
Banana and mango are the perfect fruity pairing.
This shake is perfect for summer entertaining or as a energetic pre or post workout snack. To give it an energy boost I added our favorite plain kefir from Green Valley Organics. Do you remember when I went to visit the beautiful organic goat farm in northern California?
OMG ~ I totally wanted to take home a baby goat from Redwood Hill Farm. Wouldn’t you?
I learned so much on that visit. Redwood Hill Farm and Creamery are 100% solar powered. It is family-owned (we met the fun Bice family that owns and live on the farm.) The farm is certified humane and all products are non GMO. There are no preservatives, and no artificial coloring in the products.
Tempting for body, mind and soul.
Have you ever had kefir?
It is great in so many recipes ~ basically it is a gluten free/low glycemic yogurt drink that is rich in probiotics, vitamins, minerals and complete proteins. Redwood Hill Farm has goat milk versions and Green Valley Organics has lactose free cows milk versions. Both companies are owned by the Bice family. You can go with sugar free plain like I did or try a flavor like Blueberry Pomegranate Acai.
Small organic farms like this thrill all the senses…
By the way, you can also freeze this milkshake and bring it to work, school or on your favorite hike.
Let it sit out a bit so you can sip it with a straw if you do this. You can’t sip a big ice block.
What is your favorite way to use kefir? What is your favorite kind of shake?
- 2 Mangoes, remove skin & cubed (yields about 10 ounces of sauce)
- pinch of Saffron
- 2 tablespoons Water
- 4 ounces chilled Mango Saffron Sauce
- 1 frozen Banana
- 4 ounces plain Kefir
- 4 ounces unsweetened, light [Coconut Milkhttp://astore.amazon.com/familyfreshcooking-20/detail/B002FJU0KO]
- 6 ounces Ice
- 1 dropper full Vanilla Stevia Drops, adjust according to taste
- Bring mango, saffron and water to a boil. Partially cover and simmer about 6 minutes. Purée mango in a blender. Let the sauce chill in the fridge before making your milkshakes.
- Blend everything up in a blender. Sip and enjoy!
- If you are following a vegan diet you can substitute almond milk or extra coconut milk to replace the kefir.
FamilyFreshCooking.com disclosure: I am working with Green Valley Organics and Redwood Hill Farm on a series of blog posts. Thoughts, opinions and the photos are entirely my own. I hope you enjoy learning about these great brands as much as I enjoy sharing them with you!