Almond Roasted Heirloom Tomatoes

by Marla on August 10, 2012 · 36 comments

Baked-Tomatoes-Marla-Meridith-IMG_5294

I have been wanting to post this tomato recipe forever! Believe it or not these photos were taken late last summer.

Then fall hit, life sped ahead and heirloom tomatoes were no longer in season. Now however they are back in full force. These tomatoes are baked not fried, but are reminiscent of really good comfort food.

Roasting the tomatoes with almond meal makes these perfect for  salad toppers ~ also great as a hearty, healthy side dish. Perfect for folks on a grain free, Paleo diet.

Baked-Tomatoes-Marla-Meridith-IMG_5264
I love the look of these tomatoes so much I had to include them in my photography portfolio.

I savor all of their silly lumps, bumps and beautiful coloring…they are the perfect food supermodels.

But then again I guess supermodels don’t want any lumps and bumps…

Baked-Tomatoes-Marla-Meridith-IMG_5308

They make me smile.

Baked-Tomatoes-Marla-Meridith-IMG_5271

Baked-Tomatoes-Marla-Meridith-IMG_5281

Almond Roasted Heirloom Tomatoes are baked not fried.

Breaded without traditional flour breading (blanched almond meal) …they are not fried green tomatoes. Though they taste as great. Without the fried part.

Be sure to top with some fresh herbs.

Herbs-Marla-Meridith-IMG_1220

What are your favorite recipes that use tomatoes? Do you grow them in your garden?

Baked-Tomatoes-Marla-Meridith-IMG_5289

Almond Roasted Heirloom Tomatoes

Rating: 51

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook Time: 30 minutes

Total Time: 35 minutes

Yield: 2-4 servings

Almond Roasted Heirloom Tomatoes

• 4 Heirloom Tomatoes, slice into 1/4 inch rounds
  • 1/2 cup blanched Almond Meal
  • pinch of Garlic Salt
  • a few pinches dried Herbs: parsley, basil, thyme, rosemary (your choice)
  • Cracked Black Pepper
  • Smoked Paprika
  • Olive Oil spray
  • Fresh Herbs for garnish

• Preheat oven to 375 degrees F with the rack in the middle. In a bowl whisk together the almond meal with garlic salt, dried herbs, pepper smoked paprika. Dip both sides of the tomato slices in the flour mixture. Place tomatoes on a lined cookie sheet in a single layer. Spray with some olive oil. Bake about 30 minutes or until slightly browned and crispy. You can flip 1/2 way through cooking time if desired. Spray again with the oil if you do this.
Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

Baked Tomato Recipe Links

1 Rosa August 10, 2012 at 6:03 am

Lovely clicks and recipe! I can’t wait to get my new cooker in order to bake again…

Rosa xx

2 Averie @ Averie Cooks August 10, 2012 at 6:14 am

gorgeous tomatoes AND I am in.love.with that green surface!! etsy, ebay or a local find? Ive been having some luck on ebay and etsy, almost too much luck :) but it’s nice to see things in person and really examine what you’re getting before just clicking to purchase :)

3 Marla August 10, 2012 at 3:30 pm

Averie, I actually got that table at an antiques store in the OC. I flipped out when I found it and for a great price too!

4 Deliciously Organic August 10, 2012 at 7:16 am

What beautiful tomatoes! Such a great simple summer dish!

5 Michelle @ Eat Move Balance August 10, 2012 at 7:29 am

This dish looks awesome–pinning it now. Simple, yet I’m betting the awesome flavor of fresh heirloom tomatoes really shines with the other ingredients. Thanks!

6 Marla August 10, 2012 at 3:31 pm

Michelle, it is a great way to amplify the great flavors of these tomatoes :) Simple is best, especially when you have such wonderful fresh ingredients!

7 Marina {YummyMummyKitchen.com} August 10, 2012 at 7:41 am

This looks delicious and yes, I agree that heirloom tomatoes are perfect supermodels :) Have a great weekend!

8 Marla August 10, 2012 at 4:29 pm

We all seem to agree that these tomatoes are supermodels ~ can you imagine what supermodels would think ;)

9 HeatherChristo August 10, 2012 at 8:25 am

just love heirloom tomatoes- they are indeed the supermodels of the summer vegetables!

10 Marla August 10, 2012 at 4:28 pm

Glad you agree Heather!

11 Kirsten@ My Kitchen in the Rockies August 10, 2012 at 9:05 am

Great pictures, Marla. I am glad you posted them this year for us to enjoy. I totally agree, Heirloom tomatoes are star models. They are so naturally beautiful.
I like the idea to bread them with almond flour.
Enjoy your weekend.
Kirsten

12 Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy August 10, 2012 at 9:30 am

oh my gosh YUMMMM those seriously look SO good!

13 Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. August 10, 2012 at 9:37 am

These look amazing! So creative

14 Faith August 10, 2012 at 9:38 am

Wow, does this look good! I love the unique use of almond meal here. Your photos blew me away, Marla — they’re breathtaking!

15 Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet August 10, 2012 at 11:37 am

I love heirloom tomatoes! I am so happy these are baked as I never had a successful batch of the fried kind. Gorgeous pics!

16 Allison [Girl's Guide to Social Media] August 10, 2012 at 12:18 pm

I have no idea where time has gone either. Next week, we’ll be half way through August. Ekkk!

This recipe looks great. I would probably add some goat cheese or buffalo mozza!

17 Marla August 10, 2012 at 2:00 pm

Allison, I love the idea of adding the mozzarella or some kind of cheese!

18 Bonnie K August 10, 2012 at 1:51 pm

Beautiful and yummy!

19 susan August 10, 2012 at 2:25 pm

I love the idea of this dish, Marla. It truly would be the perfect side dish!

20 Laura (Tutti Dolci) August 10, 2012 at 8:58 pm

These tomatoes are gorgeous! Love the idea, pinnned!

21 Toni @ Boulder Locavore August 11, 2012 at 1:40 am

I’m so glad you did post this recipe Marla! Like you I love the look of these and all heirloom tomatoes! And you’ve captured them so beautifully in your photos. This dish sounds so unique and perfect to highlight the great flavor of freshly ripe tomatoes.

22 Sweetsugarbelle August 11, 2012 at 1:44 am

They look delicious, Marla!!!

23 Katrina August 11, 2012 at 5:22 am

Mmm these sound super tasty! I love tomatoes as a side any time of day!

24 Kalyn August 11, 2012 at 9:03 am

What a brilliant idea!

25 Minnie(@thelady8home) August 12, 2012 at 7:16 am

Awesome!!!! The photographs also are superb.

26 Barbara | Creative Culinary August 12, 2012 at 3:53 pm

I make a tomato pie in the summer that is pretty much crust, tomatoes and crumbs…so this is right up my alley. The almond sounds unique…I must try it!

27 Bree August 13, 2012 at 9:51 am

Looks delicious and great pictures too!

28 Jeanette August 13, 2012 at 12:21 pm

Marla – these tomatoes are gorgeous – you have really captured their beauty! What a great way to enjoy these beauties,

29 Kiran @ KiranTarun.com August 14, 2012 at 12:13 pm

LOVE the styling of delicious heirloom tomatoes. I don’t want summer to escape!!! :D

30 Esi August 15, 2012 at 5:27 am

I’m so obsessed with roasted tomatoes right now.

31 Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction August 16, 2012 at 5:44 pm

These tomatoes look amazing! And, I happen to have a garden that is just bursting with tomatoes at the moment. Love that you used almond meal… It’s a fun twist!

32 Meg @ Beard and Bonnet September 8, 2012 at 6:35 am

These look amazing! I saw them when you posted them last month but, I just found them again on Tastespotting and they made my mouth water. I think I am going to try and bake up a batch of these beauties this weekend. Hope you enjoyed your trip to Alaska!

33 Marla September 8, 2012 at 8:43 am

Thanks Meg!! Hope you get to try these tomatoes this weekend. Alaska was fabulous!

34 bette b. December 6, 2013 at 7:45 pm

This is not an evaluation of your reciepe it is about heir tomatoes alone.Heirlooms are over rated and contain to much water. After all these years of growing my own tomatoes(55yrs) the old tried and true crop is the best.Heirlooms have too much water(not due to over watering).Mushy,very very thin skinned,to difficult to blanche plus over priced/over rated. At this point even the CAMPARI TOMATOS have more flavor…I choose for cooking in the winter, San Marzano fire roasted tomatoes in a can,they have a rich flavorful more robust taste,close to the ones i can and freeze myself.Actually,I can no more since I have a choice of quality canned San Marzanos.ThankYou, B.B.

35 Marla December 7, 2013 at 5:42 am

Thanks for your opinion!

36 Tara July 16, 2014 at 4:07 pm

These are very yummy and gluten free! Thanks!