I have been wanting to post this tomato recipe forever! Believe it or not these photos were taken late last summer.
Then fall hit, life sped ahead and heirloom tomatoes were no longer in season. Now however they are back in full force. These tomatoes are baked not fried, but are reminiscent of really good comfort food.
Roasting the tomatoes with almond meal makes these perfect for salad toppers ~ also great as a hearty, healthy side dish. Perfect for folks on a grain free, Paleo diet.
I love the look of these tomatoes so much I had to include them in my photography portfolio.
I savor all of their silly lumps, bumps and beautiful coloring…they are the perfect food supermodels.
But then again I guess supermodels don’t want any lumps and bumps…
They make me smile.
Almond Roasted Heirloom Tomatoes are baked not fried.
Breaded without traditional flour breading (blanched almond meal) …they are not fried green tomatoes. Though they taste as great. Without the fried part.
Be sure to top with some fresh herbs.
What are your favorite recipes that use tomatoes? Do you grow them in your garden?
- 4 Heirloom Tomatoes, slice into 1/4 inch rounds
- 1/2 cup blanched Almond Meal
- pinch of Garlic Salt
- a few pinches dried Herbs: parsley, basil, thyme, rosemary (your choice)
- Cracked Black Pepper
- Smoked Paprika
- Olive Oil spray
- Fresh Herbs for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F with the rack in the middle. In a bowl whisk together the almond meal with garlic salt, dried herbs, pepper smoked paprika. Dip both sides of the tomato slices in the flour mixture. Place tomatoes on a lined cookie sheet in a single layer. Spray with some olive oil. Bake about 30 minutes or until slightly browned and crispy. You can flip 1/2 way through cooking time if desired. Spray again with the oil if you do this.
Baked Tomato Recipe Links
- Baked Eggs in Tomato Cups The Curvy Carrot
- Baked Eggy Tomatoes Nami Nami
- Baked Tomatoes with Quinoa and Corn Pink Parsley
- Mini Baked Provencal Tomatoes The Comfort of Cooking
- Pasta with Baked Tomato Sauce Circle B Kitchen