Maple Banana Toasted Almond Quinoa

by Marla on August 30, 2012 · 42 comments

Maple Banana Toasted Almond Quinoa | FamilyFreshCooking.com #glutenfree

Do I need to twist your arm to convince you that you need Maple Banana Toasted Almond Quinoa in your life? I think not.

Quinoa has been trendy for quite some time but it’s very obvious that this seed (often mistaken to be a grain) is here to stay. We love it savory, sweet and everything in between.

Quinoa for breakfast? Yes please!

Maple Banana Toasted Almond Quinoa | FamilyFreshCooking.com #glutenfree

I love it so much I practically dove into the bowl to photograph it.

Please don’t forget butter or ghee in this recipe. They are both very tasty ~ you should all ready know.

Maple Banana Toasted Almond Quinoa | FamilyFreshCooking.com #glutenfree

Be sure to toast your almonds because there is nothing quite like roasted/toasted nuts. Do you call it roasted or toasted? I tend to use those words interchangeably and I am not sure if that is correct.

If you know otherwise please correct me. OK? I love learning new things.

Maple Banana Toasted Almond Quinoa | FamilyFreshCooking.com #glutenfree

Besides adding lots of flavor ~ when you roast nuts they get really crunchy.

The contrast of the soft quinoa, creamy banana, butter and pure maple syrup with those crunchy nuts is a total party.

Maple Banana Toasted Almond Quinoa | FamilyFreshCooking.com #glutenfree

Maple Banana Toasted Almond Quinoa | FamilyFreshCooking.com #glutenfree

If you want to be a little extra decadent and fabulous you could brown your butter first. You could also top this breakfast with some Homemade Whipped Cream or Vegan Coconut Whipped Cream.

You don’t have to ~ but you would sure like it if you did! I wish I had a photo of that for you….

Next time.

Maple Banana Toasted Almond Quinoa | FamilyFreshCooking.com #glutenfree

What are some of your favorite quinoa recipes? Do you like it sweet or savory or both like me?

Maple Banana Toasted Almond Quinoa

Rating: 51

Prep Time: 2 minutes

Cook Time: 20 minutes

Total Time: 22 minutes

Yield: 1 serving (simple adjust ingredients to suit your needs)

Maple Banana Toasted Almond Quinoa

• 1 cup (200 grams) dry Quinoa, cook according to package directions
  • pinch of fine Sea Salt
  • Ground Cinnamon to taste
  • 20 grams Roasted Almonds
  • 1 ripe Banana, 1/2 sliced and 1/2 mashed
  • pat of Butter or Ghee
  • splash of [pure Maple Syrup (we love full flavor Grade B)

Roast Almonds
  • Take a big batch of almonds. Spread them on a cookie sheet in a single layer. Roast in the oven at 350 degrees F for about 10 minutes. They should be lightly browned and fragrant. Be careful that they don't burn. You can chop them up after you roast them.
  • Quinoa
  • Cook quinoa until light and fluffy. Melt butter in a small skillet. For each serving combine 3/4 cups cooked quinoa with the rest of the ingredients (excluding maple syrup) in the skillet until hot. Top with some more nuts, banana slices and maple syrup.
  • Notes
  • You will have plenty of quinoa for a few breakfasts or anything else you need it for.
Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

Breakfast Quinoa Recipe Links

1 Amy Tong August 30, 2012 at 9:47 pm

Oh my, what a wonderful breakfast to start the day! I’m SOLD! No need to convince me and I’m jumping all in. ;) Always love and enjoy your healthy and scrumptious meal ideas.

2 Averie @ Averie Cooks August 30, 2012 at 10:35 pm

I’m not a breakfast person but you make me rethink that with this little ensemble! And the flavors of maple and banana, mmmm, bet that smells divine!

3 Marla August 30, 2012 at 10:52 pm

Averie, I love the term “little ensemble” I need to start using that more often. Funny, I thought you were a breakfast kinda gal!

4 Rosa August 30, 2012 at 11:09 pm

Deliciously healthy! I’d have this for lunch or supper as I’m really not a breakfast person…

5 Marla August 31, 2012 at 6:28 am

Thanks Rosa! Agreed ~ a great lunch, dinner or mid day snack :)

6 Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar August 31, 2012 at 3:58 am

This looks like the perfect breakfast for back to school! Love it Marla!

7 Marla August 31, 2012 at 6:28 am

Katrina, this would make a fabulous + delicious welcome to anyone’s breakfast. Perfect for back to school! Great for those long hikes + ski trips too!

8 Michelle @ Eat Move Balance August 31, 2012 at 4:42 am

If I ever break my addiction to oatbran in the morning, this would be why. I love quinoa but I always use it in savory dishes. This looks delicious!

9 Marla August 31, 2012 at 6:27 am

Michelle, I love oat bran too ~ though I dare you to break out. Even just one day! You will be pleased :)

10 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit August 31, 2012 at 4:58 am

Yummy! I love my quinoa, and this looks fabulous!

11 Maria August 31, 2012 at 7:00 am

Fabulous breakfast!

12 Esi August 31, 2012 at 7:00 am

I love breakfast quinoa. Such a great alternative to oatmeal.

13 Alyssa | Queen of Quinoa August 31, 2012 at 7:33 am

I LOVE quinoa for breakfast!! This looks so delicious. Healthy, but still warm and comforting. Yum!

14 Marla August 31, 2012 at 9:45 am

Yes Alyssa!! The good thing is one can add as much or as little of the ingredients they wish. This breakfast will taste great no matter what!

15 Teawench August 31, 2012 at 7:47 am

I’ve been trying to ‘make’ myself like quinoa for the longest time & I’ve decided that I don’t like it savory, but I do ok when it’s sweet. I have a coconut banana breakfast quinoa from another blog (gasp!) that I like. I’ve never been a fan of maple but I’ll still give this a try. I’m slowly re-trying things I haven’t liked in the past and finding my palate has changed.

16 Marla August 31, 2012 at 9:44 am

That is awesome!! Glad you found another breakfast quinoa you like too :) You can easily swap out the maple syrup with agave, honey or vanilla stevia drops. Though I hope your taste buds learn to love maple too. Hey, you never know – right?! Have a great long weekend :)

17 susan August 31, 2012 at 8:12 am

I love eating quinoa for breakfast. I am loving all of the components of the hot cereal. Have a great weekend, Marla!

18 Marla August 31, 2012 at 9:41 am

Susan, isn’t it a nice alternative for hot cereals? My heart will forever have a place for oatmeal too :)

19 Laura (Tutti Dolci) August 31, 2012 at 9:18 am

I love the maple with banana here, a perfect breakfast!

20 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers August 31, 2012 at 2:48 pm

I love quinoa for breakfast!!! I like to make a batch of it and throw it in a jar with yogurt and fresh fruit. I love your breakfast recipe! This is one I am going to try for sure!!

21 Jeanette August 31, 2012 at 6:26 pm

I love quinoa for breakfast, in soups, salads and pilafs – great idea for breakfast Marla!

22 Allison [Girl's Guide to Social Media] August 31, 2012 at 8:09 pm

Looks fantastic! I am not a big fan of quinoa, what would be a good alternative?

23 Minnie(@thelady8home) September 1, 2012 at 4:01 am

Awesome. This sounds so delicious.

24 Cookin' Canuck September 1, 2012 at 1:40 pm

I still have to try quinoa as a breakfast grain. This maple banana version looks like just the way to try it!

25 Jacey September 1, 2012 at 3:52 pm

Wow! I’m a huge fan of quinoa, but haven’t quite been able to bring myself to eat it as a “breakfast” or sweet treat. This recipe has changed my mind! I think this will have to be on the menu tomorrow. It looks and sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing it.

26 jillian @ foodfilledlife.com September 1, 2012 at 4:52 pm

My family and I love quinoa, but have never made a breakfast out of it. We rotate between oatmeal, muesli, granola, and eggs on the weekdays. Thank you for sharing this yummy recipe, I will be adding quinoa to our breakfast rotation.

27 Kathy Steger September 2, 2012 at 12:13 pm

Your photography is so beautiful

28 Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. September 3, 2012 at 5:00 am

I love quinoa for breakfast! So pretty

29 Jackie @ Domestic Fits September 3, 2012 at 9:54 am

I love so much quinoa, I’ve never had a breakfast version. I HAVE to try this.

30 Marla September 3, 2012 at 7:46 pm

Jackie, you sure do need to try this. You will love quinoa for breakfast!

31 HeatherChristo September 4, 2012 at 7:34 am

Marla! You might have to be my queen of breakfast grains! You always find a new and healthy way to enjoy the first meal of the day!

32 Marie September 4, 2012 at 10:35 am

Hello Marla! I’ve been an avid follower of yours because I found your blog very helpful and inspiring. I would like to pass the One Lovely Blog Award to you. You can check out the details here if you accept :) http://i-brownbag.blogspot.com/2012/09/one-lovely-blog-very-inspiring-blogger.html. Thanks!!

33 Marla September 4, 2012 at 2:17 pm

Thanks so much Marie!! So kind of you :)

34 Kitchen Belleicious September 4, 2012 at 11:52 am

they look simple divine!

35 Gerry @ Foodness Gracious September 4, 2012 at 11:12 pm

This just oozes healthy breakfast! I love all of it and toasted nuts are my favorite when added to any food..I would never have thought about this,
Great post.

36 Sue @ Diets September 5, 2012 at 9:45 am

I love quinoa it is the perfect food substitute for cereal, pasta or rice. Quinoa is high in protein unlike most carbs so quinoa will help you reduce your carb intake and increase your daily protein intake and quinoa is very nutritious so you can not go wrong adding it to your daily diet.

37 Marla September 5, 2012 at 3:00 pm

I agree Sue. I also love how energetic I feel after quinoa for breakfast!

38 Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles September 5, 2012 at 11:02 am

No, you definitely do not need to twist my arm. This looks like an awesome breakfast!!

39 Kristina Vanni September 6, 2012 at 12:38 pm

What a great way to bring in some extra protein by incorporating quinoa. I love a good oatmeal or granola and this is such a fun alternative.

40 luv what you do September 13, 2012 at 6:39 pm

Wow, that looks delicicious…perfect for the cool fall mornings. I love using quinoa for creative meals!

41 Kelly Senyei (Just a Taste) September 14, 2012 at 8:07 am

I absolutely love quinoa for breakfast, lunch or dinner, and I usually default to berries/honey for breakfast, so I cannot wait to try this version. YUM!

42 Jamie March 18, 2013 at 2:57 pm

Does this refrigerate and reheat well?