Coconut Cream Pie with Chocolate Ganache

by Marla on October 29, 2012 · 44 comments

Coconut Cream Pie with Chocolate Ganache | Recipe on FamilyFreshCooking.com #vegan

This had to happen. It was inevitable. With all of the vegan coconut whipped cream I have been whipping up lately pie had to happen.

Have you ever made homemade chocolate ganache? It is very simple and something you need to do asap…

Between the coconut whipped cream and the chocolate ganache you might have a hard time actually making the pie.

This pie could not be simpler to prepare ~ the issue lies in how much self control you have with your spoon.

You might alternately swap between spoonfuls of whipped cream and ganache while you are waiting for the crust to cool.

For that very reason you might want to make a double batch of each.

Gluten free, Paleo and people on grain free diets can eat this pie too. Your welcome. So can the vegan folks.

Nut lovers you are in luck too!

Are you going to be making a bunch of pies for Thanksgiving or holiday parties? Along with the tried and true pumpkin and pecan pie you should really make this cream pie.

The great thing about this whipped cream is it tends to stay really sturdy even at room temperature.

This all depends on how thick your coconut milk is to begin with. Experiment with different brands as they vary greatly. Trader Joe’s full fat coconut milk has been the thickest I have used so far.

The almond crust in this my favorite.

I use it in most of my tarts and pies. Banana Creamy Pie and Very Cherry Tart are two you should check out.

What is your favorite kind of pie? Will you be baking any for the holidays?

Coconut Cream Pie with Chocolate Ganache

Rating: 51

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 40 minutes

Total Time: 50 minutes

Yield: 6-8 servings

Coconut Cream Pie with Chocolate Ganache

Chocolate Ganache
  • Melt chocolate in a double boiler or in the microwave. Bring coconut milk to a boil in a saucepan. Transfer the coconut milk to a heat safe bowl. Combine the chocolate and coconut milk until smooth.
  • Crust
  • Pre heat the oven to 350 F with the rack in the middle. In a bowl whisk together the almond flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Break apart any lumps. Add the oil and water, combine with a spoon. Put the dough on a work surface. Knead the dough until well combined with your hands. Press dough into a 9 inch tart pan. Be sure to press it all the way up the sides and evenly throughout the pan.
  • Put tart on a baking sheet and bake it for 10 minutes. Continue to brown the crust by broiling under low heat for 5 minutes or until desired color is achieved. Remove crust from the oven and let cool completely.
  • Cream Filling
  • Chill coconut milk in the cans overnight. Open the cans without shaking them and carefully scoop out the thick, creamy part. Add this thick cream to your mixer bowl. With the whip attachment, start on medium speed and increase to high. Whip for about 5 minutes until you have thick whipped peaks. Sweeten to taste.
  • Assembly
  • Cover the bottom of the cooled tart crust with ganache (about 1/4-1/2 inch) Chill in the fridge for about 15 minutes until it firms up. Layer scoops of whipped cream over the ganache. Top tart with with coconut flake. Spoon or pipe the remainder of the ganache over the tart to decorate.
  • Keep chilled until serving. You can make this one day before your event.
  • Notes
  • The almond crust is not sweet, I love the contrast in flavor between the sweet cream and the more savory crust. If you want a touch of sweetness add some Vanilla Stevia drops, honey, maple syrup or agave to taste when you are making the dough.
Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

Coconut Cream Pie Recipe Links

1 DessertForTwo October 29, 2012 at 6:10 am

Yum! I’ve been wanting to try coconut whipped cream and I’ve been hoarding cans of TJ coconut milk for just that reason!
Thanks for the linkup :)

2 Marla October 29, 2012 at 12:08 pm

You are so welcome!! Your mini pies look amazing :) Can I come over to borrow some of your coconut milk stash. I am always running out lately!

3 Maria October 29, 2012 at 6:25 am

I want a piece!

4 Heather (Heather's Dish) October 29, 2012 at 6:26 am

THIS. YES.

5 Heidi @foodiecrush October 29, 2012 at 6:27 am

I’ve been studying up on the Paleo lifestyle thanks to a new client and I must say that I’m intrigued. Are you following the diet now too? This is like German Chocolate Cake in a pie, my favorite flavor combos. And leave it to TJ’s to have the best coconut milk.

6 Marla October 29, 2012 at 12:16 pm

Heidi, I don’t follow any “diets” per se. I am big into portion control and whole foods. I have no intention of eliminating grains from my diet. I label recipes so the folks who are looking for tags and labels can find them easily. The great news is, this pie tastes as good if not better than heavier ones and when you are done with a slice you feel energized :) XO

7 Rosa October 29, 2012 at 6:29 am

Divine looking and sounding! That pie is wonderful.

8 TidyMom October 29, 2012 at 6:46 am

This looks fabulous Marla!! I just picked out my pie recipe yesterday for this years Love the Pie party and I was planning to bake mine in a tart pan as well!

9 Marla October 29, 2012 at 12:25 pm

Cheryl , I am soooooo excited for your BIG Pie Party. Count me in on the FUN!

10 Kathryn October 29, 2012 at 7:25 am

This sounds so incredibly delicious Marla and, as ever, stunning pictures!

11 Marla October 29, 2012 at 12:25 pm

Thanks so much Kathryn!!

12 Barbara @ Barbara Bakes October 29, 2012 at 8:35 am

What a fun, healthy version of coconut cream pie!

13 Marla October 29, 2012 at 12:26 pm

Thanks Barbara! Hopefully you can try some soon :)

14 Averie @ Averie Cooks October 29, 2012 at 9:18 am

Marla this is just stunning!

Okay this part in your post “Trader Joe’s full fat coconut milk has been the thickest I have used so far….” My store only sells light, which is in a green can. Now recently in the last 3-6 mos they’ve started carrying a coconut cream. It’s in a brown can that looks like a coconut shell. I have bought it but havent cracked the can.

I love that this is stable at room temps and holds up and love the crust!

Thanks for the linky love, too :)

15 Marla October 29, 2012 at 12:31 pm

Hi Averie, you have got to tap into that TJ’s full fat coconut milk. That stuff is thick!! If you find you cannot whip it good add some of the coconut water back into it while you whip to soften things up. Love your coconut smoothie recipe!

16 susan October 29, 2012 at 9:45 am

Coconut cream pie was one of my dad’s favorites and it’s mine, too! Love the addition of coconut milk in your ganache.

17 Marla October 29, 2012 at 12:32 pm

Thanks Susan! wonder if my dad likes coconut…I need to ask him!

18 Alice October 29, 2012 at 10:46 am

This sounds yummy! I normally don’t like anything with shredded coconut, but this one uses the milk. I might have to give it a try.

19 Tammy October 29, 2012 at 12:30 pm

Could this be done in a 9 inch pie plate instead of a tart pan? Also, could you give an approx. of how much sugar (stevia) and vanilla extract to use for an average person’s sweet tooth? Thank you.

20 Marla October 29, 2012 at 12:34 pm

Hi Tammy, sure you can use the pie plate. That should work out great. Start with a few tablespoons of sugar and add to suit you :)

21 Marla October 29, 2012 at 12:34 pm

Alice, you can easily keep the coconut cream and ditch the flake. Won’t change a thing at all :)

22 Kammie @ Sensual Appeal October 29, 2012 at 12:37 pm

This pie looks STUNNING! Ahh… Love it :)

23 Marla October 29, 2012 at 12:58 pm

Thanks so much Kammie!

24 Andrea October 29, 2012 at 1:58 pm

Looks absolutely delicious!

25 Faith October 29, 2012 at 3:17 pm

Such a beautiful pie, Marla — and I love the flavors in there!

26 Christin@FortMillSCLiving October 29, 2012 at 3:56 pm

Oh My! I need to make that! Chocolate and coconut heaven. Love your pictures.

27 HeatherChristo October 29, 2012 at 4:02 pm

I obsess over coconut- so obviously this pie is going to be no exception! Just gorgeous!

28 Andrea DiGeronimo October 29, 2012 at 5:55 pm

Wow, oh my! Looks so delic! xxoo

29 Loretta | A Finn In The Kitchen October 29, 2012 at 5:58 pm

Part of me wishes I HAD to make 50 pies so I wouldn’t have to leave anything out! This looks delicious.

30 Amy Tong October 29, 2012 at 9:14 pm

What a beautiful pie and it’s so easy to prepare. I love having a layer of chocolate ganache on my pie or tart too! ;) What a nice way to use those coconut whipped cream! Can’t wait to make this.

31 carrian October 30, 2012 at 2:19 pm

I’ll take a whole pie!

32 Donna October 30, 2012 at 3:24 pm

HOW did you know that coconut cream is my all-time fave pie??? MUst try yours.

33 Rachel Cooks October 31, 2012 at 5:51 am

This looks fantastic, Marla!

34 Jean (lemons and anchovies) November 5, 2012 at 6:51 am

I love, love the sound of this pie. Will have to try this for the holidays. :)

35 Culinary Collage November 6, 2012 at 8:24 am

This looks amazing and I’m sure it tastes out of this world. I love coconut and chocolate……..get combination. BTW your pics are lovely!

36 Tom November 8, 2012 at 11:16 am

I’m not familar with cans of coconut. You say scoop out the thick creamy part. Is there something else in the can that you don’t want to use ? Please help

37 Dawn February 4, 2013 at 10:08 am

Hi Tom, not to intrude on your question but this is actually a liquid, and cream forms and is mixed with the juice so by turning the can upside down the liquid absorbs some with that cream. If you just use the whole can you will get the liquid part and it won’t whip up. Hope that helps. Once you scoop out the cream you will see some of the remaining juice to see what I mean :)

38 Dawn February 4, 2013 at 10:11 am

Hi Marla, I just made this yesterday and I used coconut oil in place of the sunflower/canola. It came out amazing however the crust stayed but not 100% so I am thinking maybe next time trying one of your suggestions. Not that the coconut didn’t work just not sure if I should use less to make it hold better. Also on top I burnt up some of the flakes with just a pink of no sald butter in my saucepan and then topped with shredded chocolate chips. This is amazing. I am going to make a white chocolate version for my mom for Valentine’s Day as she is allergic to chocolate. Thanks for the amazing recipe!

39 Rachel February 15, 2013 at 7:38 am

Came across your blog after searching “coconut cream tart paleo” (take THAT, Google!) and I’m so glad I did. Will be making an early spring version of this with pomegranate juice swirled in and the top streaked with unsweetened chocolate.

40 Marla February 20, 2013 at 4:00 am

I am so happy Google pulled this recipe up for you Rachel ~ enjoy! Love the idea of the pomegranate!

41 Rachel February 19, 2013 at 6:26 pm

Also, the directions mention pumpkin pie spice but it’s not in the ingredients…

42 Marla February 20, 2013 at 3:59 am

Thanks for that edit Rachel ~ I removed the PPS from the directions. I often use that spice in this crust.

43 Sasha February 24, 2013 at 3:08 am

I was serfing the net and fortuned to find your web-site. Thanks for this excellent recipe… Can’t wait to try it))

44 Darcy July 15, 2013 at 4:48 pm

Marla,

I have to tell you that this recipe has saved me! Not only have you created many core recipes from this one recipe (chocolate ganache, almond crust – I use TJs coconut oil as my fat in the crust) but you have made one of the most delicious pies that I can turn into anything I want! Last night I made my 4th edition of this pie, serving it as a raspberry/banana pie topped with coconut cream. With my zillions of food issues (grains, dairy, etc) this way I can make the most of my treats. And that ganache is da bomb! I use it alone (when I’m craving chocolate) or dip berries in it like fondue, or even use it in a mocha! Thank you so much for your creativity!