Happy Halloween from Telluride & Orange County

by Marla on October 31, 2012 · 28 comments

Happy Halloween from Telluride, CO. & Orange County, CA! FamilyFreshCooking.com

Well the big day is finally here! Can you believe it?! As a lifestyle writers bloggers have been celebrating Halloween for about 60 days…

This is a magical time of year. With crisp fall leaves that crunch under your toes, to all kinds of rustic home cooking (love all that pumpkin!)

Kids have settled into school routines & parents frantically try to get everything done in the precious hours the kids are away from home.

Today let’s celebrate this whimsical holiday of Tricks, Treats and Jack ‘O Lanterns…

Fall Aspen Trees in Telluride, CO | FamilyFreshCooking.com © MarlaMeridith.com

It has been a whirlwind of crazy Hurricane Sandy for folks back east. My family is on Long Island and we also have family in NYC. Our prayers go out to everyone suffering destruction from this natural disaster…

Trick or Treating is the last thing on their minds.

Staying warm, safe and dry is most important.

So much fun at the Pumpkin Patch! FamilyFreshCooking.com © MarlaMeridith.com

I have been traveling a whole lot so I am sharing scenes today from Telluride, Colorado and Orange County, CA.

Halloween in Telluride, Colorado on FamilyFreshCooking.com © MarlaMeridith.com

The people in Telluride really embrace the season. Silly them, I just adore their holiday spirit.

Actually I LOVE their spirit all year long.

Happy Halloween from Telluride, Colorado! FamilyFreshCooking.com © MarlaMeridith.com

Creepy, spooky and fun holiday decorations are everywhere…

Don’t worry, the mountains are there to protect you from any frightful things…

Glorious Fall in Telluride, Colorado! FamilyFreshCooking.com © MarlaMeridith.com

Here in California we take a few yearly trips to the Irvine Regional Park.

Happy Halloween from Telluride, CO. & Orange County, CA! FamilyFreshCooking.com

It is a pretty & happy place.

Irvine Regional Park Railroad for Halloween! on FamilyFreshCooking.com © MarlaMeridith.com

We LOVE Halloween there. You can also see our experience there last year.

My kids love to ride on the train.

Hugh the conductor likes to entertain people who ride the train…

They share many giggles on the mini John Deere tractors.

Having fun on mini John Deere tractors! FamilyFreshCooking.com © MarlaMeridith.com

They also enjoy trying to find each other in the straw maze…

Happy Halloween from Telluride, CO. & Orange County, CA! FamilyFreshCooking.com

Last weekend we hosted a Halloween Pumpkin Carving birthday party for my daughter.

She LOVES adding holiday whimsy to all of her birthday parties!

Halloween Pumpkin Carving Birthday Party on FamilyFreshCooking.com © MarlaMeridith.com

I was crazy in a rush before the party ~

Jack 'o Lantern Halloween Birthday Cake on FamilyFreshCooking.com © MarlaMeridith.com

Thankfully I found this adorable Jack ‘o Lantern cake at Whole Foods!

What are you going to be for Halloween? How about your kids & pets?

Pop on over for a visit! FamilyFreshCooking.com

I might just wear a purple wig…

Purple Wig JOY! on FamilyFreshCooking.com

Be safe and happy out there everyone!

If you all ready have your mind on Thanksgiving (remember I have to think ahead, it’s my job) then have a look at my top recipe picks for Thanksgiving.

Related Posts on FamilyFreshCooking.com

1 Rosa October 31, 2012 at 6:16 am

I’d love to be there now! Telluride is such a beautiful place with mindblowing landscapes.

Happy Halloween (that wig fits you well ;-p)!

2 Marla October 31, 2012 at 6:27 am

Thanks Rosa! Telluride is your kind of place ~ that is for certain. The wig is a keeper ;)

3 HeatherChristo October 31, 2012 at 6:23 am

Marla! What beautiful pictures as always! You perfectly captured the season. I can’t believe how big your kids are getting!

4 Marla October 31, 2012 at 6:28 am

Thanks Heather! I cannot believe how quickly they grow up… we have been having a blast celebrating Halloween constantly. A fun perk to our jobs :)

5 Lucy October 31, 2012 at 9:24 am

OMG love the look – you in the purple wig is a must for the next time I see you – when I venture south to the OC – let’s make it happen. Happy Halloween and Happy Birthday to your beautiful daughter.

6 Marla October 31, 2012 at 9:51 am

Thank so much Lucy!! I will wear the wig for you my dear ;) Wishing you are your cuties a super fun Halloween too!

7 Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts October 31, 2012 at 9:34 am

I love all of your mountain pictures. Perfect backdrop for all the gorgeous fall colors! Happy Halloween!

8 Marla October 31, 2012 at 9:50 am

Erin, those bluebird skies really show off those yellow aspens perfectly! Granted the snow looks pretty great against it too ;)

9 Andrea DiGeronimo October 31, 2012 at 9:49 am

Love the picture of the three of you on the hay at the end! I want that in a frame on my desk. All of the photographs are amazing. So crisp, playful, colorful, & well composed. Happy Birthday sweet, beautiful, little lady! Wish we were there for it!
xxoo

10 Meagan @ Scarletta Bakes October 31, 2012 at 10:31 am

What a gorgeous post – I LOVE all those travel photographs, Marla! Just spectacular… and you in that purple wig?!? Slammin!

11 Marla October 31, 2012 at 12:44 pm

Hi Meagan!! Thanks for stopping by. Glad you like my wig ;)

12 Averie @ Averie Cooks October 31, 2012 at 10:33 am

Love the purple-haired you! so fun!!

Your kids, especially your daughter, she’s growing up so fast, Marla! WOW! She looks so much older all of a sudden. Time just flies.

Hope you and the kids have a great Halloween and glad to hear your family is safe!

13 Marla October 31, 2012 at 12:44 pm

Averie, time is going by way too quickly. Gotta admit I love the age the kiddos are at now more than ever. So much fun to be had. Hope you guys have a super fun night too :)

14 kelley {mountain mama cooks} October 31, 2012 at 10:50 am

Your kids are gorgeous, the cake is adorable and I want to come visit you in Telluride! xoxo

15 Marla October 31, 2012 at 11:16 am

Awwwww, Kelley ~ thank you so much! We would have a BLAST if you guys visited us in Telluride. I bet your kids would love it there too!

16 Diane | An Extraordinary Day October 31, 2012 at 11:51 am

What a cute cake!! Great save!!!
The purple wig is pretty cute! Have fun!!

17 Marla October 31, 2012 at 12:42 pm

Diane, I was so excited when I stumbled upon that cake!! Thank goodness for being at the right place at the right time…

18 Cathy @ Noble Pig October 31, 2012 at 12:21 pm

The kids are so cute and look like they are enjoying life to the fullest!!

19 Marla October 31, 2012 at 12:42 pm

Thanks Cathy! I will remember these special days with them forever. Love that everything is still magical :)

20 Jen @ Savory Simple October 31, 2012 at 3:30 pm

Beautiful photos. Happy Halloween!

21 Loretta | A Finn In The Kitchen October 31, 2012 at 4:35 pm

Those Telluride mountains look amazing! I’ve always been a Midwest girl, (brief stint in FL) so mountains are such a novelty to me!

Happy Halloween! (I, for one, am pretty excited about Thanksgiving…)

22 Allison [Girl's Guide to Social Media] October 31, 2012 at 7:59 pm

Gorgeous gorgeous photos!!! Love the purple wig, too. :)

23 Faith November 1, 2012 at 6:10 am

Aww, Happy Birthday to your little princess, Marla! Hope you all had a wonderful Halloween!

24 Marla November 1, 2012 at 6:14 am

Faith, it is awesome to see you over at Attune foods!! Your book is amazing and I can’t wait to share it with my readers :)

25 Sommer@ASpicyPerspective November 1, 2012 at 6:39 am

Great shots Marla. We are all recovering this morning. ;)

26 Donna November 1, 2012 at 11:39 am

Your fun and whimsical food has inspired me so many times. Thank you!

27 Sue {munchkin munchies} November 1, 2012 at 10:56 pm

Two fun, beautiful places! Looks like your munchkins had a great time, and I LOVE the cute cake you found! BTW, I think purple hair suits you:)

28 susan November 3, 2012 at 11:56 am

It’s so fun to honor family traditions and your family in this very simple but festive way. Happy Holiday’s Marla!