Maple Cinnamon Cranberry Sauce

by Marla on November 4, 2012 · 39 comments

I have decided to give pumpkin a break (OK, not true.) I have also decided it’s time to let cranberries shine! How much do you love tart little cranberries? They are easily sweetened with maple syrup, honey, brown sugar, stevia or agave…your choice!

This is a basic recipe for a simple sweet tangy cranberry sauce that’ll knock your socks off!

*By the way pop over to enter my BlendTec Blender + Twister Jar giveaway ($620.00 value)!

Maple Cranberry Cinnamon Sauce | recipe on FamilyFreshCooking.com © MarlaMeridith.com There are really no excuses to not make homemade cranberry sauce.

After all ~ real food is simple to prepare…it shines without much effort.

This will take you a whopping 10 minutes from prep to finish.

Do you love cranberries too? FamilyFreshCooking.com © MarlaMeridith.com

All you need to do is put the cranberries in a pan with a splash of water and some maple syrup. Add a few pinches of cinnamon or a cinnamon stick.

Bring it to a boil and listen as the cranberries pop and sizzle.

A delight for the eyes, ears and tastebuds!

Cranberry Sauce Yogurt Parfaits | recipe on FamilyFreshCooking.com © MarlaMeridith.com

The sauce thickens as it cooks. I suggest making a Big Batch at a time. It goes quickly.

Think outside the box with your cranberry sauce.

It is excellent as a pancake topping and layered in creamy yogurt parfaits

Or just eat it as a snack with a spoon.

Do you have a favorite recipe for cranberry sauce? Do you go basic or add all kinds of bells and whistles?

For more Thanksgiving ideas check out Tidy Mom’s 20 Great Ideas for the Thanksgiving Table.

Maple Cinnamon Cranberry Sauce

Rating: 51

Prep Time: 1 minute

Cook Time: 9 minutes

Total Time: 10 minutes

Yield: 2 cups (16 ounces)

Serving Size: 1/4 - 1/2 cup

Maple Cinnamon Cranberry Sauce

• 16 ounces (454 g) fresh Cranberries
  • 1/2 cup (100 ml) Maple Syrup
  • 1/4 cup (50 ml) Water
  • a few pinches of ground Cinnamon or a Cinnamon Stick

• Bring all ingredients to a boil in a saucepan over medium high heat. Reduce to a simmer and cook until the sauce thickens about 6 minutes. Stir frequently. If using, remove the cinnamon stick before serving. For chunky cranberry sauce leave as is. To make it smooth, puree in a blender.
Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

Cranberry Sauce Recipe Links

1 Rosa November 5, 2012 at 5:38 am

Delicious! I love making cranberry sauce. Thanfully, we can find them fresh here…

2 Marla November 5, 2012 at 5:46 am

Thanks Rosa, a great thing they are easy to find in beautiful Switzerland. I was obsessed with all of the ruby red currants when I was there :)

3 HeatherChristo November 5, 2012 at 5:59 am

Very pretty sauce Marla! I should eat more cranberries!

4 Marla November 6, 2012 at 5:18 am

Heather, cranberries are our favorite little berry this time of year ~ make a big batch of sauce. Bet it will surprise you how much you guys enjoy it!

5 Faith November 5, 2012 at 6:27 am

Thanks for the link Marla! Glad you enjoyed it, I need to cook up a batch myself!

6 Jean (lemons and anchovies) November 5, 2012 at 6:53 am

I haven’t thought to use cranberry sauce with yogurt–brilliant idea! Can’t wait to start using cranberries this season.

7 Marla November 6, 2012 at 5:18 am

Jean, this is something that you will crave ~ I promise :)

8 Lucy November 5, 2012 at 9:07 am

I love cooking with cranberries – I am going to try your recipe but substitute orange juice for the water – this brings flavor, sweetness and liquid.

9 Marla November 6, 2012 at 5:19 am

Lucy, I have done that as well. LOVE that citrus flavor with the tart/acidic cranberries. Apple juice is great too!

10 cathy @ Noble Pig November 5, 2012 at 9:18 am

Homemade Cranberry Sauce is the only way to go and this sounds amazing! I love trying a new recipe every year.

11 Marla November 6, 2012 at 5:20 am

Cathy, I am always on the hunt for new cranberry sauce recipes. If you have any to share with us feel free to leave them in the comments below.

12 susan November 5, 2012 at 9:32 am

so simple, so yummy, and such a gorgeous shade of red!

13 Marla November 6, 2012 at 5:21 am

Susan, i know it ~ the red is amazing! Love the way it blends with the white yogurt too. My favorite shade of pink :)

14 Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. November 5, 2012 at 9:39 am

so pretty Marla! Breathtaking

15 Marla November 6, 2012 at 5:21 am

Thanks Alison!

16 Averie @ Averie Cooks November 5, 2012 at 10:42 am

Love a good homemade cranberry sauce. Why on earth would people buy them when they are so easy and fast to make! I made one last year with mango, cranberries, ginger, cinnamon…still thinking about it :) Yours is gorgeous!

17 Marla November 6, 2012 at 5:21 am

Averie, the mango is a GREAT idea. One I must try asap. Bet you made that in Aruba??

18 Deliciously Organic November 5, 2012 at 11:36 am

This looks like a great addition to the Thanksgiving table. I usually go pretty simple, just cranberries and a bit of sweetness.

19 Marla November 6, 2012 at 5:22 am

Carrie, I love your passion for simple, whole food, organic ingredients!

20 Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking November 5, 2012 at 1:40 pm

As a New England girl, this recipe warms me to the bone! I love cranberry sauce and this is a perfectly easy recipe for making it from scratch. I always grate a little orange zest in mine… “lightens” it up a little and really makes the cranberry’s natural flavor sing!

21 Marla November 6, 2012 at 5:23 am

Georgia, I agree! Love the color and bright flavor the orange zest adds to cranberry sauce! The flavors make me crave my roots back east too :)

22 Karen @ low-carb diet November 6, 2012 at 7:20 am

I love cranberry sauce, the sweet and sour taste. Great recipe and great photos!

23 Andrea November 6, 2012 at 8:19 am

I am excited to start using cranberries again! I think I will be trying this recipe for sure!

24 Angelina November 6, 2012 at 9:56 am

WOW!! What a treat! Not only the cranberry sauce but also finding your beautiful and delicious looking blog. I have been eyeballing the cranberries at our local whole foods market but haven’t been sure as to what to do with them. Now, I know. :) I am looking forward to following along with you. ( found you via pinterest )
Have a great week,
Angelina

25 TidyMom November 11, 2012 at 5:35 am

This looks fabulous Marla!
Thanks for linking up! I featured your post in my wrap up http://tidymom.net/2012/thanksgiving-table-ideas/
Have a great rest of the weekend!

26 Marla November 11, 2012 at 5:40 am

Awesome Cheryl. Thank you very much ~ I just spent a good amount of time over there checking out your favorites. So many great Thanksgiving ideas!

27 Meagan Marion November 21, 2012 at 11:50 am

Love your vibrant pictures of this recipe! Add a little cream cheese and it makes a delicious spread on crackers.

28 Annie B November 29, 2013 at 10:00 am

Delicious and simple. The touch of maple flavoring makes it special. Just what I’m looking for in a recipe. Thank you!

29 Amy October 6, 2014 at 4:59 am

If I wanted to make a batch with the cranberries I just got on sale and can it…. would I need to add anything to it or just make it as usual and then do a water bath?