The past few weeks I’ve been posting recipes including all of my fall cravings. Apple, cranberry, pumpkin & sweet potato show up often. Now I have this amazing Maple Cheddar Skillet Cornbread for you to try!
Do you adore cornbread? It doesn’t take long at all to bake & it looks so rustic and fun in the skillet ~ don’t ya think?
Cornbread is super tasty comfort food.
You don’t have to save it just for the cooler weather months though.
It is also heavenly to take on hikes and picnics. It is also amazing aprés ski food.
I was sure to make this one gluten free so everyone could indulge.
Be sure you have some homemade cranberry sauce handy as a dip.
Ever since I gazed upon my friend Teresa’s post Cornbread 101: How to Make Perfect Cornbread I knew I had to make some myself!
By the way, have I ever told you how much I love Miss Teresa ~ you have got to check out her FUN filled blog Blooming on Bainbridge.
T’s is a classic take with southern charm ~ mine is lightened up a bit. I tend to do that kind of thing.
I am so excited about my Vegan Cranberry Whipped Cream. I had to slather it all over this cornbread. You might need to do this too.
Do you have a favorite cornbread recipe?
Do you go traditional or do you add any secret ingredients to your cornbread? I dare you to share….
- 1 1/2 cups (250 g) fine ground Cornmeal
- 3/4 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine Sea Salt
- 2 large Eggs, whisked
- 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) plain lowfat Kefir
- 3/4 cup (150 ml) pure Maple Syrup
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup grated Cheddar Cheese (divided in half)
- 2 tablespoons Coconut Oil
- Put the coconut oil in a cast iron skillet and preheat oven to 425 F with skillet on middle rack. Let the oven heat up with the so the skillet can heat with it. Whisk together all of the dry ingredients. Combine the wet ingredients in a separate bowl, with 1/4 cup of the grated cheddar cheese. Combine the wet and dry ingredients.
- Carefully remove the skillet from the oven with a mitt. Swirl the coconut oil inside the pan to coat it. Carefully pour the cornbread batter into the pan, it will sizzle and splatter a bit. Top with the remainder of the cheddar cheese. Bake for about 20-25 minutes until a toothpick comes out virtually crumb free & the top is golden brown.
- This cornbread is not too sweet, if you would like it sweeter you can use 1/2 to 1 dropper full of Vanilla Stevia Drops.
Cornbread Recipe Links
- Bacon Cornbread Food o’ del Mundo
- Basque Country Cornbread Lemons and Anchovies
- Buttermilk Skillet Cornbread Full Circle Foodie
- Cornbread 101: How to Make Perfect Cornbread Blooming on Bainbrige
- Heirloom Tomato Cornbread with Cheddar Cheese Adventures in Cooking
- Skillet Cornbread with Dried Cranberries & Sage Joy of Kosher