Old Barn in Victor, Idaho

by Marla on November 27, 2012 · 32 comments

Old Barn in Victor, Idaho on FamilyFreshCooking.com © MarlaMeridith.com

Sometimes we need to simplify. Distract our mind from daily distractions.

This was one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. Time stood still here. This old barn took my breath away.

I hope you enjoy a brief break from food today…

Old Barn in Victor, Idaho on FamilyFreshCooking.com © MarlaMeridith.com

Look don’t touch I kept reminding myself.

Old Barn in Victor, Idaho on FamilyFreshCooking.com © MarlaMeridith.com

There was so much beauty everywhere…

Old Barn in Victor, Idaho on FamilyFreshCooking.com © MarlaMeridith.com

I even felt a bit guilty to take a peek inside.

Old Barn in Victor, Idaho on FamilyFreshCooking.com © MarlaMeridith.com

I did not want to disturb the peace.

Old Barn in Victor, Idaho on FamilyFreshCooking.com © MarlaMeridith.com

I did not want to see anything that was not meant to be seen.

Old Barn in Victor, Idaho on FamilyFreshCooking.com © MarlaMeridith.com

This barn has stood the test of time.

Weather (snow, rain, heat, ice, storms) and great use by the farm that once worked this land.

Old Barn in Victor, Idaho on FamilyFreshCooking.com © MarlaMeridith.com

Now it is a beautiful golf resort & spa. A place for people like us to unwind.

Feel the cool breeze.

To Laugh. Love,  Live & create new memories…

The barn stands guard…

Old Barn in Victor, Idaho on FamilyFreshCooking.com © MarlaMeridith.com

I will never forget the feeling of that scratchy tall grass nipping at my legs.

It tickled and poked all at once.

Old Barn in Victor, Idaho on FamilyFreshCooking.com © MarlaMeridith.com

It made the whole experience to be alone out there more real…or maybe even surreal.

Old Barn in Victor, Idaho on FamilyFreshCooking.com © MarlaMeridith.com

I am thankful they left this barn and I hope to see it again when I return someday.

Old Barn in Victor, Idaho on FamilyFreshCooking.com © MarlaMeridith.com

What happy place brings you deep comfort and joy?

1 Grace @ FoodFitnessFreshAir November 27, 2012 at 6:09 am

Beautiful! This almost has a summery feel. Warming up my cool, rainy morning here in Philly.

2 Marla November 27, 2012 at 6:12 am

Grace, this was shot late September. It was perfect fall weather. The sun was bright and the leaves were changing….absolutely gorgeous! Glad this could warm up your dreary day ;)

3 Rosa November 27, 2012 at 6:25 am

A beautiful barn! Those pictures are gorgeous. I love such places…

4 Marla November 27, 2012 at 6:31 am

Ha! Rosa, you were on my mind the whole time I was editing these photos. Totally your kinda thing ;)

5 Sommer@ASpicyPerspective November 27, 2012 at 6:28 am

I love barns. They make me long for a simpler time. …But I’m sure it that time, people didn’t think life was so simple. (It’s the holidays talking.)

6 Marla November 27, 2012 at 6:31 am

Sommer, I crave simple these days. Only happens for seconds at a time ;)

7 Diana@Spain in Iowa November 27, 2012 at 8:51 am

Those pastures and hills. It makes me want to run through it with my hands in the air! Just beautiful, Marla!

8 Alice November 27, 2012 at 9:58 am

What a gorgeous barn!!!! I’m so glad it was not torn down and replaced with metal barns like so many are now days. Thanks for sharing these lovely photos!

9 Marla November 27, 2012 at 10:16 am

Hi Alice! So glad I could share these photos with you all today. I have been wanting to ever since I was there :)

10 Misty November 27, 2012 at 10:00 am

WE really do have some of the best barns, here in Idaho. I did a series on them a few years back. I thought they were beautiful before, but since then, my love and appreciation has quadrupled.

11 Marla November 27, 2012 at 10:15 am

I can see how that love can quadruple Misty. I would love to take a barn tour of Idaho. We saw a few amazing ones on our press trip ~ but I had the time to get up close and personal with this one. Did you post your photo series anywhere?

12 Lori Jones November 27, 2012 at 10:15 am

WOW!!! What a great find!! It has stood the test of time!!! And may it have many more to come! Thanks for sharing . I just love old barns!

13 Marla November 27, 2012 at 12:15 pm

I really hope it does have many more years left in it’s life too Lori!

14 Averie @ Averie Cooks November 27, 2012 at 10:15 am

Of all the travel posts that you’ve done, you’ve shot some really ‘majestic’ scenes, some real jaw-droppers. Mountains, oceans, sweeping vistas, but this, this…this may be your best work ever. The rustic simplicity and of the ability to make a barn and this setting look jaw-dropping good is true art. Bravo!

15 Marla November 27, 2012 at 12:16 pm

Averie, it is really interesting to hear you say this. Out of all the shoots I have done this one really took my breath away, It was the perfect crisp fall morning. I was wide awake, with a coffee buzz and nothing in the world could take away the magic…nothing.

16 Tasha November 27, 2012 at 10:18 am

LOVE your photos! What a beauty. There used to be an old barn in my area for years, but last winter, it finally fell apart. It was so sad for me, because that barn had memories. (some friends used to own it, but after they sold the land, it went into disrepair….)

17 Marla November 27, 2012 at 12:19 pm

Tasha, that is so sad :( I often wonder if they have to do anything to keep something like this alive and well….

18 Meg November 27, 2012 at 10:27 am

Oh Marla, these images are stunning! I love driving through the small towns here in the South and seeing the old barns out in the pastures. There is just something about them that make me feel at home. Thanks for sharing these pictures and your special moment.

19 Marla November 27, 2012 at 12:21 pm

Awwww, thank you Meg ~ glad I could bring back your happy memories too. The old barns are such a foundation to our past. So many drive by without looking. Thankfully we know to stop & smile :)

20 Suzanne November 27, 2012 at 10:49 am

This makes me miss Idaho even more, it really is gorgeous there. I grew up there and love it. I’m hoping to move back in a year or two.

21 Marla November 27, 2012 at 12:22 pm

Suzanne you are very lucky. Idaho is a place I hope to go back to again and again. So much to see, great people & great potatoes ;) Best of luck on your move back!

22 Andrea Stock November 27, 2012 at 11:06 am

Thanks for taking a break from food. I loved scrolling through the pictures as if on a journey. Such a peaceful break from my work day. I love your pictures Marla and I’m so glad I found your website. Your pictures inspire me.

23 Marla November 27, 2012 at 12:24 pm

Andrea, your comment is so important to me. Think I will present these photo offerings from time to time. You all really seem to like the diversion :) I am glad you found my blog too!

24 Kristina November 27, 2012 at 12:17 pm

this is stunning, and makes me sit still and just… be. I can almost imagine the sounds and scents and the feel here… thank you for sharing!

25 Gabriela {What Liberty Ate} November 28, 2012 at 6:24 am

Such breath taking photographs! This kind of photos make me so calm and almost bring in front, a strange, nice feeling as you would be there. Fields of grass, wheat or poppies always make me feel I’m in a safe and wonderful place.

26 HeatherChristo November 28, 2012 at 6:38 am

Marla- this is so touching to me. Besides that fact that your pictures are so beautiful they are also nostalgic. My late grandfather used to travel across the country photographing barns and then making paintings from them. Very sentimental.

27 TidyMom November 28, 2012 at 10:57 am

gorgeous! I love old barns

28 sippitysup November 28, 2012 at 4:00 pm

I so wish I’d made that walk to the barn. What was I doing? Napping? Silly me… GREG

29 Marla November 28, 2012 at 4:02 pm

Dunno Greg. But you certainly missed out ;)

30 Deliciously Organic November 29, 2012 at 12:42 pm

So beautiful!

31 Jean (lemons and anchovies) November 30, 2012 at 7:05 am

There is an old red barn that stands just off the road on the way to the coast near where I live. I have always loved it. It’s still a functioning barn and it’s been painted and repainted several times over the years–the same barn red. I love it. It stands with dignity and a stark contrast against the rest of nearby Silicon Valley.

Beautiful images.

32 Sarah | The Cyclist's Wife March 13, 2013 at 10:12 am

I know this barn! I missed this post on the first go-round but just spotted it after seeing your red barn photos. We spend summers in Island Park, ID and this barn is on our way to Jackson. I too, love old barns. Great photos, thanks for giving me a smile this morning!