Oh boy did I have fun making these! Who knew that baking a big batch of potatoes could be so fun.
Smashing Perfect Baked Potatoes with the back of a chefs knife is entertainment at it’s finest….not to mention these taste amazing!
Have you ever smashed potatoes?
If not, now you must…..
If you have smashed then you share a connection with me in the secret thrill of smashing……
There are various methods to do this ~ I use the flat side of a chefs knife.
I mentioned on Facebook how much I LOVE my job. The fact that I get to take the simplest of foods ~ the potato~ and make it sexy.
I love to transform a simple character & turn it into a colorful piece…oh I love my job!
I used Yukon Gold potatoes for this. They are the perfect size….and great for kid hands.
Should they choose to eat with their hands. I like to snack on these straight out of the fridge.
With my hands.
Better yet right out of the oven when the cheese is all hot and melted. If you do that then please use a knife & fork so you don’t hurt your hands.
- 3 pounds Yukon Gold Potatoes, cleaned and dried (use your favorite potato variety)
- Olive Oil, Coconut OIl, Ghee or Butter
- Garlic Salt
- Black Pepper
- Smoked Paprika
- a few ounces shaved Parmesan Cheese
- fresh herbs such as Parsley, Thyme, Rosemary. Your choice.
- Sour Cream
- Pre heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Scrub your potatoes with cool water and a soft brush, pat dry. Pierce with a fork or knife several times (this will help release the steam that builds up inside the potato as it cooks.) You need to do this so it doesn't explode in your oven. Rub potatoes liberally with oil/butter. Season all sides with garlic salt, pepper and smoked paprika. Lay them on a sheet pan of baking dish. Bake for about 45-60 minutes (depends on the size of your potatoes) The skin should pierce easily with a fork and the potato insides soft and fluffy.
- Set the broiler to low heat. Let the potatoes cool a bit and transfer them to a work surface. With the flat edge of a knife pressed up against the potato give it a firm push until the potato smashes.
- Top each smashed potato with some parmesan cheese. Finish with fresh herbs and smoked paprika.
- Serve with sour cream, butter, chili, you name it!
Smashed Potato Recipes
- Buttery Smashed Tiny Potatoes Williams Kitchen
- Crispy Smashed Potatoes Mamavation
- Duck Fat Smashed Potatoes No Recipes
- Grilled Smashed Potatoes love u madly
- Smashed Potatoes with Garlic, Dill & Smoked Paprika Cooking Melangery