Sweet Potato “Anytime” Cookies – Vegan

by Marla on December 28, 2012 · 42 comments

Sweet Potato Cookies | Gluten Free Recipe on FamilyFreshCooking.com

You must be thinking “What the heck is an anytime cookie?” I have posted various healthy breakfasts disguised as cakes and cookies pretty often. I wanted to make it clear to you ~  the fact that all of those recipes should be enjoyed anytime at all.

Got it? Great!! Let’s bake some anytime cookies that are a perfect way to start and end the day.

*We are currently having some technical issues with our recipe plug-in. Stay tuned ~ we are repairing.

Sweet Potato Cookies | Gluten Free Recipe on FamilyFreshCooking.com

If you are pondering what these taste like they are kinda like a very tender oatmeal cookie….

That’s what my daughter said. She is cinnamon, spice and everything nice & so are these.

Sweet Potato Cookies | Gluten Free Recipe on FamilyFreshCooking.com

A few years a go I posted these Sweet Potato Chocolate Chip Cookies which were quite the hit ~ with my son and you guys.

If you want a sneaky peek as to where my photography skills started I suggest you take a look at that post.

Sweet Potato Cookies | Gluten Free Recipe on FamilyFreshCooking.com

My iPhone was my only camera option back then.

Oh how things have changed around here!

Sweet Potato Cookies | Gluten Free Recipe on FamilyFreshCooking.com

These sweet potato cookies are quite different from my 2009 recipe though.

These are gluten free, vegan, made with oat flour and are also free of refined sugar (that is powdered maple sugar I sprinkled on top.)

Don’t worry ~ all of my healthful changes still bake up a dang tasty cookie.

Sweet Potato Cookies | Gluten Free Recipe on FamilyFreshCooking.com

Do you ever bake with sweet potatoes? It lends itself to a very tender crumb.

If your New Year’s resolutions have anything to do with healthy eating & your diet, then these whole grain anytime cookies need to be added to your recipe box.

Sweet Potato Cookies | Gluten Free Recipe on FamilyFreshCooking.com

Sweet Potato Anytime Cookies – Vegan

Rating: 51

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook Time: 1 hour, 7 minutes

Total Time: 1 hour, 12 minutes

Yield: 12 cookies

Sweet Potato Anytime Cookies – Vegan

Roasted Sweet Potato
  • Preheat oven to 400 F with the rack in the middle. Clean sweet potato and pierce several times with a fork or knife. Bake about 45 minutes or until soft. Let cool. peel off skin and mash.
  • Cookies
  • Preheat oven to 350 F with the rack in the middle. Prepare a cookie sheet with parchment or a Silpat liner. Whisk together dry ingredients, place in the bowl of a stand mixer. Combine wet ingredients, add to mixer and beat on low speed until you have a batter.
  • Place heaping spoonfuls of batter onto the cookie sheet. Bake for about 20-22 minutes until cookies are golden brown and crumbly. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.

Sweet Potato Cookie Recipe Links

1 Heather (Heather's Dish) December 28, 2012 at 8:55 am

Any cookie that’s meant for any time? PLEASE!

2 Kate@Diethood December 28, 2012 at 9:19 am

Ahhh the photos… swoon… Gorgeous!
Will be back for the recipe! :-)

3 Liz @ The Lemon Bowl December 28, 2012 at 9:23 am

These are gorgeous cookies!!! I need to look out for that maple powder..

4 Rosa December 28, 2012 at 9:28 am

Wonderful! Those cookies must be delicious.

5 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers December 28, 2012 at 9:30 am

Marla, You need to fix your ZipList plug in. Your recipe is not showing, by the way the cookies look amazing! Can’t wait to get the recipe!!

6 Marla December 28, 2012 at 12:36 pm

Thanks Jennifer, we upgraded Wordpress and now have this Ziplist glitch. Working on it. Stay tuned…..

7 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers December 28, 2012 at 5:17 pm

Hi Marla, Same thing happened to me when I upgraded my Wordpress. Go here https://gist.github.com/b17ad8275286c4ae5d32 for info for temporary fix. I got this in an e-mail from Ziplist. It worked. But I upgraded my plug in and now it works. No codes needed! Good luck!!! – Jen

8 Marla December 29, 2012 at 2:53 am

Thanks so much Jennifer! So did you get your hands on something more that a temporary fix??

9 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers December 29, 2012 at 10:11 am

Good morning! Go to your plug in to see if there is an upgrade. There was one to mine a couple of weeks ago, about 2 days after the upgrade for wordpress and that fixed the problem. I’m surprised it wasn’t sent to you. I hate to say this, and honestly I would be afraid to do this but maybe uninstall your plug in and then re-install it? I have no clue what will happen with past posts? So I recommend checking for the upgrade! By the way the recipe looks amazing! I’m going to make these today or tomorrow!! I have a ton of sweet potatoes that are screaming to be a cookie!! :)

10 Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. December 28, 2012 at 9:53 am

great looking girl! Happy new year!

11 Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies December 28, 2012 at 11:41 am

These are just lovely! Sweet potato ANYTHING is a favorite of mine. And yay for another blogger who started out with an iPhone. I swear I am a better photographer because of it!

12 HeatherChristo December 28, 2012 at 12:15 pm

These would be very convenient breakfast cookies! They look great Marla! (love them against that blue backdrop)

13 leanne@ healthful pursuit December 28, 2012 at 1:15 pm

I’m totally behind the anytime cookie. I often make myself small batch of cookies that have limited sugars and garbage just so I can feel like I’m treating myself. Can’t wait until your recipe plugin is up and running (ah! What a nightmare!) so I can check out what ingredients you chose to use!

14 Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar December 28, 2012 at 2:47 pm

Swooooon! These sound lovely!

15 Averie @ Averie Cooks December 28, 2012 at 2:57 pm

They look perfect and although the recipe issue (Grrr!!) isn’t fun with Ziplist, it will soon be sorted out..just what you needed, right!

And your photos from 3 years ago – I clicked over just because you said that but honestly, even your ‘then’ photos are still more than fine. Your ‘now’ photos belong in Bon Appetit!

16 Marla December 29, 2012 at 2:54 am

Thanks so much Averie!! To think we have been pals since we started these blogs ~ who would have thought they would take over our lives ;)

17 Laura (Tutti Dolci) December 28, 2012 at 4:46 pm

I’m all about an “anytime” cookie – these look fab!

18 susan December 28, 2012 at 6:49 pm

Sweet Potato Cookies – now that is a first. Looks good.

19 Sanjeeta kk December 28, 2012 at 9:52 pm

What gorgeous pictures Marla! Love sweet potato desserts and anything baked with it..and these cookies are gonna become a favorite for sure. Have a happy New year.

20 Marla December 29, 2012 at 2:54 am

Thanks so much Sanjeeta! Happy New Year to you too :)

21 Joanne December 29, 2012 at 4:30 am

Any cookie that contains sweet potato sounds like an anytime cookie to me! Love that these are healthy AND delicious.

22 Marla December 29, 2012 at 5:23 am

Thanks Joanne! Hope you are ding well my friend :)

23 Marta @ What should I eat for breakfast today December 29, 2012 at 6:24 am

I eat everything for breakfast, lately I had spaghetti, but maybe because I got up at 2 pm. And “anytime cookies” sounds like my kind of cookies, hahaha.

24 Brooke @ Food Woolf December 29, 2012 at 1:45 pm

How cool! I never would have thought to put sweet potatoes in cookies! I love eating sweet potatoes any time, so why not in a cookie form?!!
thanks!
B

25 The Healthy Apple December 29, 2012 at 4:36 pm

LOVE LOVE LOVE these, Marla! Beautiful; such a great post and love this recipe. Happy Holidays. Miss you tons. xoox

26 Marla December 30, 2012 at 2:29 am

Thanks so much Miss Amie!! Hope you are well my friend :)

27 Shaina December 30, 2012 at 12:46 pm

Gorgeous cookies, Marla!

28 Carrie @ Bakeaholic Mama January 2, 2013 at 5:45 am

These look AMAZING! I am always looking for a vegan cookie for my nephew with a dairy/egg allergy. Pinning these! Also, thanks so much for linking to my Sweet Potato cookies!

29 Gomo January 12, 2013 at 1:11 pm

These look awesome Marla! I love sweet potatoes in just about everything. I’m loving your site too! :) Thank you so much for the link to my sweet potato cookies!

30 Katie February 3, 2013 at 9:04 am

Made these today. They are so good and the house smells amazing. I am not gluten free so I subbed the oat flour with 1 C almond four and 1 C regular. I like the almond flour in it! Also used 2-3 T of maple syrup instead of stevia drops. Turned out great!

31 Marla February 3, 2013 at 9:13 am

Hi Katie! Your adaptations sound wonderful. I will try too:)

32 Micheline May 21, 2013 at 12:30 am

These look amazing but wondering if I could swap the oat flour for rice flour or corn flour or something else not gluten filled but also healthy? Gluten free oats and almonds are expensive and difficult to get here in beijing, unless you are rolling in it! Any help out be much appreciated! Thanks

33 Michelle July 29, 2013 at 9:41 pm

I made a half recipe and used 1/3 cup sorghum flour with 2/3 cup sweet rice flour. I thought the texture/taste was great (with the caveat that I’m pretty obsessed with sweet rice).

34 Erin @ Meaningful Eats December 13, 2013 at 4:16 pm

These look delicious!!

35 Crista December 19, 2013 at 6:08 am

i love this recipe… and all the gorgeous photos! xox

36 Marla December 19, 2013 at 7:52 am

Thanks so much Crista!

37 Marla December 29, 2012 at 10:16 am

Thanks! I just hacked in that short code. Is the plug in upgrade code something you can email me or is it specific to your blog???
I hope you have a chance to try these cookies this weekend Jennifer :)