“Porridge” oh how I love thee. I have never actually used the word porridge on Family Fresh Cooking. Such a comforting word…it’s got a cold weather, huggy, rustic food kinda vibe. Perhaps it’s the Goldilocks and the Three Bears thing ~ bears and people love that porridge. Do you think theirs is made with oats or quinoa?
Probably not quinoa…
Quinoa is really popular with you guys and I love it too…. my Acorn Squash Breakfast Quinoa is perfect for the morning bite or any time of day.
This is a nice alternative to oatmeal that you gotta try asap…I do love my oatmeal too of course.
This seed (quinoa) is plentiful in health and flavor, takes hardly any effort to cook and happily accepts all kinds of sweet and savory pairings.
Use any kinds of dried fruits and nuts you have. In this recipe I used pecans, apples, sunflower seeds and raisins.
Acorn squash adds texture variation and great flavor. You can also use butternut or even pumpkin (I know how much we all obsess over pumpkin!)
Once fall hits I bake a few squash per week. Sometimes I enjoy it simply with butter, cinnamon and maple syrup…other times I use it into recipes.
This meal is gluten free and grain free. One size fits most.
- 1 Acorn Squash (you will use 1 cup diced)
- 1/2 cup dry Quinoa
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1/2 cup light unsweetened Coconut Milk
- pinch of Sea Salt
- 1/4 cup roasted Sunflower Seeds
- 1/4 cup chopped Nuts (Pecans or Walnuts are my favorite)
- 1 tablespoon Ghee or Butter
- 2 tablespoons virgin Coconut Oil
- 1 tablespoon Maple Syrup (sweeten to taste)
- 1/4 cup dried Figs, diced
- 1/4 cup Raisins
- 1 cup diced Apple
- Pre heat oven to 425 degrees F with the rack in the middle. Pierce acorn squash several times with a sharp knife. Bake it for about 45 minutes or until soft and cooked through. Let cool a bit. Cut in half, scoop out seeds. Dice flesh into small pieces.
- Combine quinoa with water and coconut milk. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer until all of the liquid is absorbed (about 20 minutes.) Stir in the rest of the ingredients and serve hot.
Breakfast Quinoa Recipe Links
- Apple Pie Quinoa Breakfast Casserole Healthful Pursuit
- Breakfast Quinoa with Cinnamon-Roasted Fruit The Curvy Carrot
- Crunchy Quinoa Granola Two Peas and Their Pod
Fruit and Egg Quinoa Breakfast Parfaits Family Fresh Cooking
- Maple-Pecan Quinoa Porridge Momtastic
- Steel Cut Oats, Quinoa and Amaranth Porridge Merci Mama