Roasted Banana Chai Baked Oatmeal

by Marla on January 21, 2013 · 55 comments

Roasted Banana Chai Oatmeal | Vegan & Gluten Free Recipe | FamilyFreshCooking.com

I have been on a breakfast binge so to speak. Last week I posted 5o Amazing Oatmeal Recipes which you guys swooned over. Since we all love oatmeal so much I figured why not share a new oat recipe today!

I dig chai tea and I figured it would be a delicious flavoring to add to oatmeal ~ you have gotta try this asap…

I adore bananas as do my kiddos.

Roasting fruits and vegetables adds so much flavor. The heat brings out a natural sweetness and amplified flavor. It is worth the extra time it takes.

The natural sugars are pronounced and caramelization happens.

This recipe is vegan and gluten free in case you are wondering.

Baked oatmeal is awesome because you get to make a large amount of healthy food that that is perfect to grab when you are in a time crunch.

Not sure about you but I am always in a time crunch these days…

Maybe it has something to do with a ski resort outside my front door.

Telluride, Colorado | Winter | FamilyFreshCooking.com

The sunrises here in Telluride are spectacular ~ a fun way to wake up and enjoy oatmeal and a steamy cup of coffee.

Top your oats with raisins, almonds and creamy coconut milk.

The chai tea is steeped in almond and coconut milk….it adds the perfect spiced flavor to this dish.

For some guilt free decadence top with some Vegan Coconut Whipped Cream.

Enjoy this comforting, healthy and balanced way to start the day!

Roasted Banana Chai Oatmeal

Rating: 51

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes

Total Time: 1 hour, 25 minutes

Yield: 8 servings

Roasted Banana Chai Oatmeal

Roasted Bananas
  • Pre heat oven to 375 F with the rack in the middle. Toss banana slices with coconut oil, spread on a lined baking pan in a single layer, Bake for 30 minutes until bananas are sizzling, browned and caramelized.
  • Oatmeal
  • Bring almond milk and coconut milk to a boil with the cinnamon stick. Remove from heat, add the tea bags and steep for 10 minutes. Carefully squeeze the tea bags against the edge of the pan with a wooden spoon to release all the flavor. Be careful not to break them. Remove the tea bags and cinnamon stick.
  • Reduce oven to 350 F. Mash 1/2 of the bananas with a few spoonfuls of the hot milk until you have a paste. In a large bowl combine the hot milk with the mashed bananas,oats, salt and baking powder. Transfer oatmeal to a 3 quart sprayed casserole dish. Top with extra roasted bananas and cover loosely with foil. Bake about 45 minutes. Remove foil last 5 minutes of baking.
  • Top with roasted almonds and raisins. Serve with some coconut milk or almond milk and maple syrup. For some guilt free decadence top with some Vegan Whipped Cream
Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

Oatmeal Recipe Links

1 Jenny Flake January 21, 2013 at 6:08 am

What a knock out breakfast Marla! Bet it makes the house smell like a dream :)

2 Julie @ Table for Two January 21, 2013 at 6:09 am

Roasting bananas – now that is something I’ve never done before but so brilliant. I’m sure it brings out all the bananas’ flavors and I love the sugary crust on the outside. This oatmeal is just perfect for breakfast or a snack!

3 Dianna @ The Kitchen Prep January 21, 2013 at 6:22 am

Chai Tea is one of my favorite guilt-free indulgences these days… I also bought some Caramel Apple Tea yesterday that I bet would make a good adaptation! I will definitely be trying out this recipe, thanks for sharing. :)

4 Kevin (Closet Cooking) January 21, 2013 at 6:31 am

This would be so good to wake up to in the morning! I like the sound of roasting the bananas!

5 Rosa January 21, 2013 at 6:35 am

A wonderful recipe! That is something I wouldn’t mind eating for lunch too.

6 Sommer@ASpicyPerspective January 21, 2013 at 6:38 am

I’d love to wake up every morning at your house!

7 Lori @ RecipeGirl January 21, 2013 at 6:49 am

Are you seriously still there? Did you really move there? This isn’t a dream? :) I hope it has been fabulous so far!!

8 Lisa - Garnish with Lemon January 21, 2013 at 6:54 am

Thanks so much for the link back! This recipe sounds fabulous! Can’t wait to try it…roasted bananas? Yum!

9 Kathy Steger @FoodWineThyme January 21, 2013 at 7:35 am

Ohhhhhh, I love caramelized bananas. Reminds me of banana’s foster. And what a great idea to add chai tea to the oatmeal. I bet the spice of chai and cinnamon work great with caramelized bananas.

10 Marla January 21, 2013 at 10:00 am

Hi Kathy – bananas foster is such treat cause of those caramelized bananas. This can be the healthy version :)

11 Megan January 21, 2013 at 7:39 am

It’s frigid here in Seattle – like everywhere else – and I need something to warm me from the inside out! This is just the ticket – beautiful Marla, as usual. :)

12 Marla January 21, 2013 at 9:58 am

Thanks Megan….hope you get to try it soon :)

13 Marta @ What should I eat for breakfast today January 21, 2013 at 8:08 am

I love oatmeal fro breakfast and I’ll try this one for sure. Actually hopefully I’ll manage to try all the 5o recipes this year as well :)

14 Marla January 21, 2013 at 9:57 am

Marta, I need to try all 50 recipes too!

15 Marian (Sweetopia) January 21, 2013 at 8:14 am

I’ll bet this tastes heavenly and has that smooth yet satisfying crunchy texture. Looks so good!

16 Aimee @ Simple Bites January 21, 2013 at 8:39 am

I am making this as soon as possible, Marla. And that mountain view? Amazing.

17 naomi January 21, 2013 at 9:01 am

Okay, I don’t need more persuasion-looks delish! Great pictures too, Marla!

18 Marla January 21, 2013 at 9:47 am

Ha! I love being able to easily persuade ;)

19 Jessica January 21, 2013 at 10:01 am

Oh yes, please! You and I are on the same wavelength with all the banana love!

20 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit January 21, 2013 at 10:21 am

Ah, you make me miss the mountains every time I visit your blog. So beautiful. Are you still planning on going to Alberta this Winter?
Great minds think alike because I just posted a chai recipe today, too!

21 Marla January 21, 2013 at 12:18 pm

Leanne, I will head over to check out your recipe now. No Alberta ~ these mountains are keeping me well entertained!

22 Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar January 21, 2013 at 10:31 am

This looks delightful! I love the chai flavour in this especially! So unique :)

23 Jessica@AKitchenAddiction January 21, 2013 at 10:43 am

This is my kind of breakfast! I love adding roasted bananas to my oatmeal!

24 Denise Browning@From Brazil To You January 21, 2013 at 10:45 am

Hi, Marla! Baked oatmeal is something new for me. I’ll have to try this one- I love bananas and chai plus the oatmeal looks like a pie. It likes to have dessert for breakfast. Looove it!!!!

25 fabiola@notjustbaked January 21, 2013 at 10:56 am

This is my kind of oatmeal. I have been on a breakfast binge lately as well. I just made granola and baked oatmeal in the same day. Now I will be making this! It looks amazing.

26 Marla January 21, 2013 at 12:15 pm

Fabiola ~ sounds like you have been very productive in the kitchen. Love it!

27 Laura (Tutti Dolci) January 21, 2013 at 10:57 am

This looks like the best oatmeal ever, I love the roasted bananas!

28 Marla January 21, 2013 at 12:15 pm

Why thank you Laura!

29 kirsten@FarmFreshFeasts January 21, 2013 at 11:18 am

Gorgeous photos. I’m dreaming up a different type of pizza with roasted bananas instead of the fresh ones I usually use.

Thanks for a new oatmeal twist!

30 Marla January 21, 2013 at 12:09 pm

Pizza?? Nice idea ~ gotta try that over here too sometime!

31 Carla @ Carlas Confections January 21, 2013 at 11:20 am

Yum! I love the roasted bananas! They look so pretty, and then extra bananas on top :) So perfect! I cant wait to try this

32 Marla January 21, 2013 at 12:09 pm

Carla, isn’t is awesome how GREAT roasted bananas are??? Heavenly!

33 Maria January 21, 2013 at 12:06 pm

What a great breakfast! Love roasted bananas!

34 Teawench January 21, 2013 at 12:28 pm

Holy cats this sounds awesome! I have a ton of chai tea. I don’t like to drink it but I love to cook & bake with it.

35 Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} January 21, 2013 at 12:43 pm

I’m sipping on Chai green tea as I type this. :-) What a fabulous-looking oatmeal, Marla!

36 Averie @ Averie Cooks January 21, 2013 at 1:31 pm

Love the flavors of chai! Have been having chai tea in the evenings lately – caffeine free and love the flavors. This oatmeal is perfect!

37 Julie January 21, 2013 at 4:21 pm

What a beautiful oatmeal! I love roasted bananas – and I love chai equally as much… I’ll have to add this to my list of recipes to try!

38 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers January 21, 2013 at 5:38 pm

Awesome recipe! Your combination is so creative! I love it!!!!!

39 megan @ whatmegansmaking January 22, 2013 at 4:16 am

oh my goodness – this looks wonderful! I never thought to roast bananas, and I certainly never thought to make chai flavored oatmeal – I love it!!

40 Elizabeth Cowie January 22, 2013 at 10:54 am

Just plain brilliant! I cannot wait to give it a try!

41 HeatherChristo January 22, 2013 at 1:33 pm

This sounds so great Marla- I also love hearing the tid-bits about your new life in the mountains :)

42 Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies January 23, 2013 at 2:52 pm

I do a chai, banana & oatmeal smoothie sometimes and it is one of my favorites, so I know I would love this too–it looks amazing!

43 Erika @ The Hopeless Housewife January 23, 2013 at 6:56 pm

I could eat this everyday for breakfast!

44 Amy @Foodie4Healing January 24, 2013 at 7:59 pm

Sounds delicious! Can’t wait to try it.

45 Rebecca January 26, 2013 at 6:19 am

Thank you for such a delicious comforting breakfast! Just made it this morning for my family and we all loved it! Perfect for a cold winter morning!

46 Marla January 26, 2013 at 9:03 am

Rebecca, thank you so much for stopping by to share this great news. I’m happy you guys got to try this oatmeal & enjoyed it :)

47 Kristen February 4, 2013 at 8:45 am

LOVE t-ride!! I have family there and visit a few times a year!! Thanks for the oatmeal bake!! Question-we’re currently oat free…what would you use as a substitute? Quinoa ??

48 Marla February 4, 2013 at 9:17 am

Kristen, I did not test this with quinoa ~ but I always LOVE it. Go ahead and give it a whirl.

49 Mona March 3, 2013 at 11:40 am

Hi, I recently started following you after finding some of your recipes on Pinterest. I have been making a recipe similar to the “enhanced” oatmeal recipe here: http://www.savvyvegetarian.com/vegetarian-recipes/basic-oatmeal.php for a while. So when I saw these recipes I decided to switch it up a bit. Besides some recipes you shared from other people, I have made the pear and saffron baked oatmeal and just made this one today. Both were delicious. I think the oats I used were “quick-cooking” because I don’t have the “old-fashioned kind” (I usually use steel-cut). For this one I did not have tea bags so I put a couple of teaspoons each of tea-less masala blend and loose-leaf assam tea into a tea filter and used that. Not sure if I used enough but I was pleased with the end result. The roasted bananas were also fantastic. I have skipped the stevia on both occasions because you don’t seem to indicate where in the process it goes in. I have recently purchased a bottle of stevia drops and have yet to use it. I don’t like things too sweet anyway and a bit of maple syrup is fine. Could you make more steel-cut oat recipes? I have a huge bucket of that as I ordered a 12-kilo bag a while back… Thanks for the delicious recipes!

50 4K June 9, 2013 at 9:03 pm

This looks fabulous! I can’t wait to try it. I did notice that you mentioned it as gluten free. For those who are not aware, oats are not gluten-free unless they say so on the package, because otherwise they are contaminated by flour in the processing facility. Just a heads up!

51 Kate July 18, 2013 at 12:18 pm

This looks solo good! Could you please tell me how many stevia packets would equal your 2 full droppers of the liquid stevia? The conversion chart said about 6? I want to be sure it is sweet enough for my tastes. Thank you”

52 Marla July 18, 2013 at 3:30 pm

Hi Kate…all depends which brand you are working with and how sweet you like your oatmeal. I say go less & you can always add more per serving.

53 Katie October 2, 2014 at 10:04 am