Views of the Valley Floor | Telluride, CO.

by Marla on February 7, 2013 · 14 comments

Fun! Travel to Telluride, CO | The Valley Floor | FamilyFreshCooking.com

If there is somethin’ I love about my hometown of Telluride is the great BIG welcome you get when you arrive. Yesterday I went out to photograph this old building which sits waiting at the edge of the Valley Floor.

Every day I pass by it. We give each other a nod hello. I will photograph it many times. In all different lighting conditions. It fascinates me.

I am a light chaser ~ this old barn reminds me that each day is filled with prayer, gratitude, lightness and JOY. It stands strong and reminds me to do the same.

Fun! Travel to Telluride, CO | Majestic Box Canyon | FamilyFreshCooking.com

Before you enter the majestic box canyon you pass by the Valley Floor on your right hand side.

You will see elk grazing, deer prancing and birds soaring.

Fun! Travel to Telluride, CO | The Valley Floor | FamilyFreshCooking.com

This land lies in a deer, elk and Canada lynx migration corridor…it is the home to endangered species (Southwestern Willow Flycatcher) and a host of amphibians, resident and migrating birds, fish, mammals, insects and plants.

Neat huh!

Visit Telluride | Winter | FamilyFreshCooking.com

Prayer flags flap & wave in the wind…

Fun! Travel to Telluride, CO | The Valley Floor | FamilyFreshCooking.com

The Valley Floor is 570 acres of land that was placed on the list of “America’s 11 Most Endangered Historic Places” in 2000.

It was formerly the hunting and camping ground for the Ute Indians. It then became the site of San Miguel City mining and dairy farms.

Fun! Travel to Telluride, CO | The Valley Floor | FamilyFreshCooking.com

Through the years this special land has been stressed by a local land owner who wanted to develop homes on this open space.

Thankfully the land is to remain free…

Today the land is under a conservation easement to be preserved as open space in perpetuity. Thank goodness.

Fun! Travel to Telluride, CO | The Valley Floor | FamilyFreshCooking.com

In 2002, a citizen driven ordinance was presented to the voters of Telluride. It asked the Telluride Town Council to pursue eminent domain. This is a government’s right to acquire private property for “public use” for “just compensation,” also known as condemnation. You can read more about this history at ValleyFloor.org.

The delicate ecosystem has also been threatened by mining impacts (though studies show it has maintained it’s biological integrity.)

Fun! Travel to Telluride, CO | The Valley Floor | FamilyFreshCooking.com

Running through the Valley Floor is an aquatic ecosystem that filters and purifies our San Miguel River.

It is also a storage area to supply the river during the low runoff periods of fall and winter; and it mitigates down-valley flooding.

Fun! Travel to Telluride, CO | The Valley Floor | FamilyFreshCooking.com

I love capturing the little things ~ weeds, grass, frozen flowers and snow this time of year.

Wildlife always thrills.

As does old wood and fencing.

Fun! Travel to Telluride, CO | The Valley Floor | FamilyFreshCooking.com

In the winter you can cross country ski and hike on this precious land.

There are even moonlight ski parties here. With bowlfuls of steamy soup to enjoy with friends. I will join this party soon.

Fun! Travel to Telluride, CO | The Valley Floor | FamilyFreshCooking.com

In the summer the mountain biking here is fun, adventurous and great for any level.

To live in such natural beauty is a blessing. One I am thankful every minute of every day.

Fun! Travel to Telluride, CO | The Valley Floor | FamilyFreshCooking.com

What place of natural beauty inspires you?

Related Links

1 Rosa February 7, 2013 at 6:07 am

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing your lovely clicks with us. I particularly like the one of the deer.

2 Marla February 7, 2013 at 6:27 am

Thanks Rosa!! Those deer are everywhere :)

3 Julie February 7, 2013 at 9:05 am

Marla….it’s a shame you don’t appreciate where you live….lol:)
So beautiful! Love the barn! How have your children and husband adjusted to the move? Off to make some soup. I live in CT and we are about get a blizzard….Yipee…love it!

4 Marla February 7, 2013 at 9:59 am

Yay! Love the idea of a blizzard, My hubs and kids have adjusted very well. Thanks for asking :) Enjoy that soup your makin’

5 Averie @ Averie Cooks February 7, 2013 at 9:37 am

Marla this is a stunning post and in some ways reminds me of a post you did 6 mos or so of just a barn and landscapes. I love the message here and the inspirational quality of the natural beauty. I have been meaning to ask you how you’re settling in…and clearly…just fine :)

6 Marla February 7, 2013 at 9:58 am

Averie, funny you say that. I posted about Old Barn in Victor, Idaho about 2 months ago. Felt very similar to write this post. These old buildings really move me. Bring me to my knees actually. There will be lots of posts like this down the road….Yes, friend. Happy and settled. I just ignore all the full boxes we have left ;)

7 Carla @ Carlas Confections February 7, 2013 at 9:50 am

So incredibly beautiful! Your photos are such inspiration!

8 Marla February 7, 2013 at 10:00 am

Thank you for such kind words Carla :)

9 Heather ODell February 7, 2013 at 10:11 am

I am not a winter person, even though I live in northern Indiana, but you make me want to be. I want to move there too. So beautiful!

10 Toni | Boulder Locavore February 7, 2013 at 1:16 pm

We love visiting Telluride and its so great to see your view of it. Your eye is drawn to many of the same elements I usually am. Love the old buildings so rich with a past about which we can only wonder….

11 Marina {YummyMummyKitchen.com} February 7, 2013 at 10:20 pm

Okay I’m ready to hop on a plane to Telluride! I loved this post, Marla. So well written and photographed. I would love to see the wildlife there.

12 Marla February 8, 2013 at 3:39 am

Thank you Marina! Means a lot to hear from you girl. You would LOVE it here!

13 Andrea February 11, 2013 at 1:25 pm

Breathtaking photos Marla. Telluride looks so beautiful. I am on the brink of making the decision to move to Colorado, but am still harboring some fear of moving far away. What was it like for you and your family to make the decision to move to a different state? I don’t have a family to bring with me, so I know it’s probably much different, but what gave you that final push to make the decision to just do it?
Thanks:)

14 Patti M. February 27, 2013 at 9:29 am

How blessed you are to live in such a beautiful place! ❤