Rainbow Veggie Chicken Soup

by Marla on February 11, 2013 · 40 comments

Rainbow Vegetable Chicken Soup | Recipe on FamilyFreshCooking.com

Apparently I have a thing for rainbows. Two recipes in the past week have been rainbow-y. Last week it was a Roasted Rainbow Carrot Tart (a sweet, delicious tart ~ have you tried it yet?)

Today we eat the colors of the rainbow in a soup chock full of chicken and vegetables!

Rainbow Vegetable Chicken Soup | Recipe on FamilyFreshCooking.com

I make this soup often, especially in the cooler months. It is my dads favorite, so when he comes to visit I’m sure to have a pot bubbling away on the stove.

Whenever I cook this for my parents ~ my dad begs my mom to make soup exactly like this back where they live in NY.

Rainbow Vegetable Chicken Soup | Recipe on FamilyFreshCooking.com

She rolls her eyes and says to my dad “you LOVE my chicken soup ~ but OK ~ Marla send us the recipe.”

This exchange has been going on for about 4 years now. I sense some jealousy but we won’t get into that.

Why has it taken me sooooo long to post this recipe? Quite frankly I just add all the ingredients to a large soup pot, season to taste and never measure anything. It is usually gone that night or by the next day without a chance to photograph it.

Rainbow Vegetable Chicken Soup | Recipe on FamilyFreshCooking.com

Mom, dad and blog pals ~ here it is finally.

The simplest chicken soup you will ever make! Grab as many colorful veggies as you can. No stress. Fuss free.

I like mine with just veggies, chicken and a big hunk of cheese on the side.

Say Cheese! FamilyFreshCooking,com

Rainbow Vegetable Chicken Soup | Recipe on FamilyFreshCooking.com

My kids, hubs and dad like heaps of noodles in theirs.

Have fun with the vegetables you use. Choose your favorites.

Sometimes I use regular potatoes, in this case sweet potatoes. Sometimes spinach, sometimes kale.

Rainbow Vegetable Chicken Soup | Recipe on FamilyFreshCooking.com

Most of the time I use fresh dill, there was none in the store so bright flavored cilantro was a great alternative.

Rainbow Vegetable Chicken Soup | Recipe on FamilyFreshCooking.com

Here in Telluride  food availability can be slim pickins at times, so I need to make quick adaptations to some of my ingredients.

Change is good though right?!

Telluride, CO Winter on FamilyFreshCooking.com

Telluride, CO Winter on FamilyFreshCooking.com

There is nothin’ like coming into a warming bowl of soup after a long day of winters play in the fluffy white snow!

Rainbow Vegetable Chicken Soup | Recipe on FamilyFreshCooking.com

Rainbow Veggie Chicken Soup

Rating: 51

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 30 minutes

Total Time: 40 minutes

Yield: 8 servings

Rainbow Veggie Chicken Soup

• 1 pound Chicken Breast (cut into bite sized pieces)
  • Olive Oil
  • 3 Garlic Cloves, diced
  • 1 Red Onion, chopped
  • 1 Zucchini
  • 1 Sweet Potato
  • 1 bunch Rainbow Carrots
  • 8 cups Low Salt Chicken or Vegetable Broth
  • 1 bunch Kale, tear into pieces remove ribs
  • a few handfuls Cilantro
  • Black Pepper
  • Green Onion, finely sliced

• Trim zucchini and carrots into bite sized pieces. Pierce sweet potato with a sharp knife several times. Microwave 5 minutes to soften. Cut into bite sized pieces. Heat olive oil in a large soup pot over medium high heat. Add garlic & onion, cook about 5 minutes to soften. Add chicken and brown for about 5-6 minutes. Add zucchini, carrots and sweet potato (not kale). Cook another 3 minutes. Add broth to the pot. Bring to a boil, add kale and handful of cilantro. Simmer with a lid for about 20 minutes or until all the veggies are tender. Season with pepper. Top with sliced green onion.
Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

Chicken Vegetable Soup Recipe Links

1 Liz @ The Lemon Bowl February 11, 2013 at 5:40 am

This is my ideal soup!! Add lemon juice, cinnamon, chickpeas and garlic and it’s my family’s version. Right up my alley!

2 Marla February 11, 2013 at 6:09 am

Liz, I love that idea. I think version 2 is coming up – with credit back to you of course :)

3 Rosa February 11, 2013 at 5:43 am

A beautiful and healthy soup! It looks so tasty and colorful.

4 Cassie | Bake Your Day February 11, 2013 at 6:21 am

I love all of the veggies in this – beautiful soup!

5 Marla February 11, 2013 at 8:04 am

Thanks so much Cassie!

6 Julie @ Table for Two February 11, 2013 at 6:30 am

I LOVE how hearty this soup is and I’m really liking your rainbow affair :) it just makes everything so pretty and even more enticing to eat! Gorgeous :)

7 Marla February 11, 2013 at 8:04 am

“Rainbow Affair” LOVE that ;)

8 Sommer@ASpicyPerspective February 11, 2013 at 6:38 am

Love all the color here Marla! So pretty. :)

9 Alissa N February 11, 2013 at 6:49 am

Wow, your photos are breathtaking!!! Holy moley, you are seriously talented. The soup looks amazing and full of super healthy stuff, love it!!

10 Marla February 11, 2013 at 7:55 am

Thanks so much Alissa! Funny this was ~ this soup was giving me a run for the money during the shoot…..

11 Heidi @foodiecrush February 11, 2013 at 6:54 am

Where did you get those gorgeous carrots? The key to good nutrition is a rainbow of colors, this is definitely a cold buster with all of those antioxidants. Beautiful.

12 Marla February 11, 2013 at 7:47 am

Hi Heidi! Great to see you here :) Thankfully I stumbled upon those beauties at the market the other day. Funny ~ I could not find dill, but rainbow carrots were a lovely surprise!

13 HeatherChristo February 11, 2013 at 7:01 am

So much stuff packed into one bowl of soup- I would love for my kids to be eating that soup!

14 Marla February 11, 2013 at 7:44 am

So easy to prepare too Heather! Bet your kiddos would enjoy :)

15 Jenny Flake February 11, 2013 at 7:02 am

Looks like the perfect soup for winter! So pretty too :)

16 Marla February 11, 2013 at 7:40 am

Thanks Miss Jenny!! We kinda live on it these days :)

17 Gaby February 11, 2013 at 8:24 am

love me a good chicken soup!! especially with all those gorgeous veggies!

18 Val in MN February 11, 2013 at 9:25 am

WOW! I love your recipes, but your stories and pics are just as enjoyable. Thank-you!

19 wholesome kids February 11, 2013 at 9:48 am

My son is off skiing today. This looks like a perfect dinner to come home to! (Especially here, where we don’t see the sun very often and could use a bit of color).

20 Averie @ Averie Cooks February 11, 2013 at 10:06 am

Drop dead gorgeous images, Marla! The 2nd pic down/’”we eat the colors of the rainbow” – love that photo and message!

21 kirsten@FarmFreshFeasts February 11, 2013 at 10:16 am

Marla, the photos of your soup are just gorgeous! Kiddos, too! Makes me want to eat a bowl of this soup right away, even though we’re having a tiny heat wave of temps in the 40s today in Ohio.

Thanks!

22 fabiola@notjustbaked February 11, 2013 at 10:44 am

I love the bright colors, all I see is flavorful healthy! That is the way to eat. I will need to give this a go soon. My boyfriend, like you husband and dad, would do extra noodles too. My recent version, I add butternut squash, kale, and quinoa. The quinoa makes it so filling, and healthy. I Love these soups!

23 Laura (Tutti Dolci) February 11, 2013 at 11:36 am

Such a pretty soup, I love the rainbow veggies!

24 Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking February 11, 2013 at 11:39 am

I love the look of this colorful, hearty chicken soup Marla! It looks perfect for warming up this winter. Thanks for sharing!

25 Lana @ Never Enough Thyme February 11, 2013 at 11:53 am

Wouldn’t I love to have a bowl of this for lunch! It’s grey, rainy, and cool here. A day just made for soup.

26 Erika @ The Hopeless Housewife February 11, 2013 at 12:38 pm

Love all of the colors and flavors in this soup, really gorgeous.

27 Marian (Sweetopia) February 11, 2013 at 1:36 pm

I totally agree! There’s nothing like coming home to a warm bowl of delicious soup on a cold, winter’s day! Kinda wishing I had it already made for me. ;-) Will have to try it soon!

28 Reem | Simply Reem February 11, 2013 at 1:53 pm

This is a complete bowl of perfection…
I can literary live on this, I can add may be some boiled noodles or rice and some pepper flakes… God I am already drooling..LOL
Perfect!

29 Andrea DiGeronimo February 11, 2013 at 2:34 pm

Looks Delicious! The fresh ingredients and photography are dynamite. So beautiful.

xxoo, Andrea

30 Jersey girl Cooks February 11, 2013 at 3:00 pm

What a beautiful looking bowl of soup! Cheese on the side is perfect. Adorable pics of the kids too.

31 Marla February 11, 2013 at 5:42 pm

Thanks!! Always gotta have that cheese on the side :)

32 Kankana February 11, 2013 at 10:03 pm

Absolutely loving the burst of color in this post and how can one not enjoy a comforting colorful soup!

33 Jeanette February 12, 2013 at 4:34 am

I love soups with all different vegetables – the more colorful the better. I do the same with stir-fries. Eat the colors of the rainbow – that’s a great way to assemble any meal. Beautiful!

34 Carla @ Carlas Confections February 12, 2013 at 8:53 am

Mmmm, I cant wait to make this soup! I am really digging the kale in there. Im a bit obsessed with kale at the moment :) I especially love how easy it is to throw together! Really looking forward to it! PS, I linked back to a couple of your quinoa posts in my latest post. Really looking forward to making some of those too!

35 Shaina February 12, 2013 at 11:26 am

Gorgeous winter soup, Marla. I love the rainbow carrots.

36 kelley {mountain mama cooks} February 13, 2013 at 10:13 am

This is gorgeous. And I’m with you, no noodles but a hunk of cheese on the side to fill me up! Love it for this time of year!

37 Jennifer Tyler Lee February 13, 2013 at 12:56 pm

Absolutely delicious! Can’t wait to try, Marla. Thanks for sharing.

38 Anastasia Halldin February 14, 2013 at 11:25 am

How colorful & delicious this soup looks! Plus, adding the kale really makes this soup a beneficial an awesomely healthy dish:)

39 Matt February 19, 2013 at 4:16 pm

My wife is going to love this soup! If It’s half as good as it looks, :) which i’m sure it is.