White Blanket

by Marla on February 21, 2013 · 30 comments

Winter in Telluride, Colorado | FamilyFreshCooking.com #travel

Around here SNOW is not a four letter work that gets kicked to the side of the road and cussed at.

SNOW to Telluriders (or anyone visiting for that matter) is the best possible thing that can happen to us, a ski resort town.

Winter in Telluride, Colorado | FamilyFreshCooking.com #travel

In other areas of the world snow is a hinderance. Pesty. Somthin to be scraped at with shovels, snow blowers lots of mean words. Sure we gotta do snow removal here ~ but we pray for it to grace our high altitude peaks as often as possible during ski season.

Now we might have a different attitude come May, we are ready for spring then…

But for now….LET IT SNOW!

Winter in Telluride, Colorado | FamilyFreshCooking.com #travel

If you don’t want snow in your neck of the woods. Please send it to us.

Branches thick with frosting. Heaps of snow that cover our ground with sparkles of delight.

Winter in Telluride, Colorado | FamilyFreshCooking.com #travel

Powder that allows us to swoosh down ski slopes….wearing a tutu. Of course.

Winter in Telluride, Colorado | FamilyFreshCooking.com #travel

What is it about fresh snow that invigorates and wakes me up? I want to burrow in and out of it all at once.

I drop to do snow angels…

Angels cool my fire that burns bright. It is a good fire sometimes and other times it gets in the way of me.

Winter in Telluride, Colorado | FamilyFreshCooking.com #travel
Times when my fire takes over are not my favorite. When balance gets thrown off I know it is time to escape my over active mind and cool down.

I ski. Walk. Do yoga. Take pictures. Anything to release the pressure. I reach out to others. How can I be of service?

Gotta take me outta my own mind….

Winter in Telluride, Colorado | FamilyFreshCooking.com #travel

The snow is good for people like me. Steamy hot weather, not so much.

I live in the mountains for many, many reasons. This crystalline covering from the heavens is a big reason why.

Everything seems to look better with the white blanket on…

Winter in Telluride, Colorado | FamilyFreshCooking.com #travel

Perfectly frosted aspens and pines line paths, they guide. They look, watch and listen.

They protect.

Winter in Telluride, Colorado | FamilyFreshCooking.com #travel

The blanket holds so much mystery below…

Things to be revealed when it all melts.

Winter in Telluride, Colorado | FamilyFreshCooking.com #travel

For now I will stick with this cozy white blanket of pure white delight.

Winter in Telluride, Colorado | FamilyFreshCooking.com #travel
And not wonder too much…

1 Caroline @ chocolate & carrots February 21, 2013 at 6:12 am

How beautiful! I haven’t seen snow in years. I was just telling my husband that we should move to Telluride because you’ve shown me how beautiful it is. I’m sending these photos to him right away! :)

2 Marla February 21, 2013 at 6:19 am

Nice!! Perhaps you need to do that Caroline ;)

3 Grace @ FoodFitnessFreshAir February 21, 2013 at 6:27 am

My god Marla, this is beautiful! I am dying to hit the slopes and have yet to do so. Here in Philly, we’ve gotten very little snow. I took a trip out of the city this past weekend to a town where the trees and fields were covered, and I was reminded of how much I miss the beauty of the white flakes. Your town looks gorgeous!

4 Marla February 21, 2013 at 7:48 am

Thanks Grace! I hope you too can enjoy the powdery white JOY before long :)

5 Beth February 21, 2013 at 7:05 am

Beautiful! Makes me want to play hooky from work and go play in the fresh snow in our mountains today! And move to Telluride. :-) Gorgeous photos and prose!

6 Marla February 21, 2013 at 7:07 am

That’s cute Beth! Hopefully you can enjoy some time outdoors real soon…good thing the weekend is coming up.

7 Nutmeg Nanny February 21, 2013 at 8:38 am

Beautiful! I would love snow a lot more if I didn’t have to commute 100 miles round trip to work. When I can stay home and no go anywhere I love when it snows :)

8 Marla February 21, 2013 at 3:30 pm

100 miles to work sounds very stressful ~ I agree, the snow would reaaaallllyy get in the way of that!

9 Carla @ Carlas Confections February 21, 2013 at 9:24 am

I LOVE that photo of the fence covered in white. So pretty! I always look at your pictures for photo inspiration. (I think I told you that once, but its true!) Always so gorgeous! And I love that you skiied in a tutu! So funny :D I would seriously love to retire in a mountain town like that… or by a big beautiful lake. Or both :) But thats a long time off! Im glad you love where you are living :) You can tell by the way you write about it.

10 Marla February 21, 2013 at 3:29 pm

Carla, you are too sweet! People like you encourage me to take lots ‘n lots of photos. I am so glad you enjoyed this post (and my others!) Hopefully one day you can live somewhere like this….if you dream it you can DO IT!

11 Rosa February 21, 2013 at 10:35 am

Splendid! You live in a gorgeous place. I am jealous. ;-)

12 Marla February 21, 2013 at 11:19 am

Come visit me Rosa….could you imagine the FUN :) And all the photos!!!

13 Averie @ Averie Cooks February 21, 2013 at 11:35 am

You asked for it, you got it :) Look at all that snow! I will say, it’s been really cold for SoCal the past few days so I can imagine where you are, it was ripe for tons of snow!

14 Marla February 21, 2013 at 3:27 pm

RIPE!!!! Thank goodness girl. We need snow like all. the. time. In my heaven I tell ya!!

15 Jan February 21, 2013 at 11:56 am

oh, these are beautiful. i miss the mountains…haven’t been on a plane since my 3.5 year old was born. my sister actually lives in breckenridge and LOVE it. i’m sure telluride is amazing as well!

16 Marla February 21, 2013 at 3:27 pm

Hopefully you can get back on a airplane soon to enjoy those perfect slopes :) I know how it is to be home bound for a while…

17 Cookin' Canuck February 21, 2013 at 1:28 pm

Beautiful photos, Marla! It looks as though you and your family are in powder heaven right now. And only you could pull off a rainbow tutu while skiing. Love it!

18 Marla February 21, 2013 at 3:25 pm

Hi Dara! I wore that tutu for Fat Tuesday ~ though I think I just might make a habit to wear it more often on da slopes. Great times indeed!

19 Denise Browning@From Brazil To You February 21, 2013 at 2:55 pm

These are great pictures, Marla! I love the one that you are wearing a tutu. It put a smile on my face. Enjoy!!!

20 Marla February 21, 2013 at 3:24 pm

Thanks Denise! That was such a perfect ski day ~ I think the tutu made me ski better than usual ;)

21 Lisa February 21, 2013 at 3:47 pm

We moved from Colorado to Kansas about 35+ years ago. When it would snow here and everyone would get all lathered up about it I would say, I miss REAL snow! Well, yesterday and today we got REAL snow! 14-16-18″??? Somewhere in there and I am lov.ing.it. I get why people who aren’t used to it don’t like it (like my brother in law spending 5 1/2 hours on a 55 minute drive today)…but I just love it, it’s so beautiful! Now I feel like we have finally had winter, and I won’t be so tempted to shush people who are whining for spring. :) Enjoy!

22 Marla February 21, 2013 at 8:04 pm

Lisa, my inlaws live in KS. They have been telling us about that storm….huge! Happy to hear that you get to enjoy the powdery benefits and not that 5 hour drive ;)

23 Jean (lemons and anchovies) February 21, 2013 at 8:00 pm

I really do miss Telluride. It’s been over a year since my last visit—much too long! Keep the pictures coming because I never tire of seeing the familiar spots. Who could ever get tired of Telluride anyway? Love your pic with the tutu–awesome!

24 Marla February 21, 2013 at 8:02 pm

Jean your wish for many more photos will be granted. This place is a supermodel. No bad angles. No bad seasons. No bad lighting. Stay tuned….oh also you must come out soon for a visit!

25 Andrea DiGeronimo February 22, 2013 at 6:31 am

Ahhhh, Heaven! Such beauty! Love it!

xxoo, Andrea

26 Julia {The Roasted Root} February 22, 2013 at 8:10 am

SNOOOOW! I grew up in a ski town and fully understand the importance of snow…for mental and physical health and of course for tourism and the economy. I still haven’t been to Telluride and am so anxious to go! Looks like you guys have gotten more powder than we have…in Tahoe, the winter has been GRIM this season! Hopefully it picks up for some late winter storms! Best tutu and snow angel I ever did see, Marla! Cool photos!

27 Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet February 22, 2013 at 8:14 am

I am so not a fan of snow but these pictures make me want to make a snow angel too! Gorgeous photography, Marla! Telluride is beautiful!

28 Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) February 22, 2013 at 3:26 pm

Gorgeous pictures! I’m not a huge lover of winter–but snow is a whole different thing, I just love it. It always evokes such peaceful feelings and makes you just want to cozy up at home, make great food, and enjoy time with family. The DC area has been super lame with snow these past years, I’m hoping we at least get a bit more before spring! :)

29 Vanessa February 23, 2013 at 7:00 am

I will be headed over the pass this weekend to get some of the goods so maybe I’ll see you on the slopes! We live in Silverton and did not get much out of this storm unlike T-ride. Sounds like this weekend will be pretty epic! I have to make some of your Telluride Trail Mix Bars before we go! Have fun! (PS. I think I’m made of snow because I literally melt in hot weather – its not pretty)

30 Lori @ RecipeGirl February 28, 2013 at 5:10 pm

You are living my dream :)