Shooting Clays in Colorado

by Marla on March 4, 2013 · 41 comments

Clay Shooting in Colorado | FamilyFreshCooking.com

When I got back from my winter trip to Minnesota I knew it was time to chase my dreams of learning how to shoot and hunt here in Southwest Colorado.

The question was who, what, where? You can’t just head out your back door & start shootin into the sky. You need the right teacher, location and training. Learning how to properly handle a firearm is important to me, as it should be for anyone who wants to handle a lethal weapon…

My goal with all of this? I want to bring the food we eat full circle….from field to table.

Clay Shooting in Colorado | FamilyFreshCooking.com

First I spoke to Telluride Outside on Facebook. My interests range from fly fishing to bird hunting (snowmobiling, rafting & mountain bike tours too!) They have answers to all of my questions & they’re gonna get me going on all my outdoor pursuits.

They have a wonderful outfitter store on main street Telluride & will greet you with a smile and great knowledge when you walk in.

I spent quite some time in there talkin to John Duncan. He is part owner of Telluride Outside and a well know fly fishing guide. When you visit you will find Telluride Outside combined with the Telluride Angler store where you can tap into all your fly fishing fantasies.

Clay Shooting in Colorado | FamilyFreshCooking.com

John coordinated a trip for me to head out to Hotchkiss, CO. Over there a guy named Al owns Gunnison River Expeditions.

Everyone on this chain of events has been more than helpful to help expand my knowledge.

These fellas are pros & they respect the idea of women hunting & fishing. We sure share laughs with some of the questions I ask ~ but true answers come regardless.

Clay Shooting in Colorado | FamilyFreshCooking.com

They can see my passion to become a petite huntress….

Clay Shooting in Colorado | FamilyFreshCooking.com

Heading out to Hotchkiss, CO in Delta County was quite the scenic adventure. I had to stop a few times to grab some photos…

Clay Shooting in Colorado | FamilyFreshCooking.com

It was hard for me to keep my eyes on the road with so much beauty everywhere.

Clay Shooting in Colorado | FamilyFreshCooking.com

I pulled up to the North Rim Hunt Club. This is an amazing hunting lodge with a few thousand acres of mixed bag Western Colorado upland hunting hunting…

~ I was greeted by Roy…

Roy Jackson is an expert hunter who can guide you on any kinda hunt to suit your fancy…He’ll guide you anywhere around the world with his service Hunt Land Tag.

Clay Shooting in Colorado | FamilyFreshCooking.com

His wonderful wife Milissa Jackson plays a big part in this too.

She was a sweetheart and took the photos of me that you see in this post. I hear she is a really great huntress and cook ~ the kinda gal I need to be pals with.

Obviously.

Clay Shooting in Colorado | FamilyFreshCooking.com

We had fun talkin about all kinds of hunts…and her polka dot boots.

This is Justin ~ he works at the hunt club too. He gave me some great pointers. He told me to follow more closely &  get a little ahead of the clays….his tips certainly worked!

Clay Shooting in Colorado | FamilyFreshCooking.com

This weekend we played with clay pigeons…and guess what?

Clay Shooting in Colorado | FamilyFreshCooking.com

Roy tells me I am ready for da birds.

I. Am. Ready.

Wow. Bang. Boom. Just like that.

Clay Shooting in Colorado | FamilyFreshCooking.com

I need to take my hunter safety class, get a bird and turkey license and off we will go in April.

I am really enjoying learning how to handle and shoot a shotgun.

Clay Shooting in Colorado | FamilyFreshCooking.com

Now that I live in such a spectacular natural setting I want to take advantage of everything the outdoors has to offer. From outdoor athletics, to hunting and fishing….

All of it. All the time…..yes please.

Related Links

1 Antonia @ Health Inspirations March 4, 2013 at 5:17 am

Oh wow! That’s extremely cool. My grandpa is a hunter as well so it’s always nice to get some good quality meat every once in a while. I actually got my brother-in-law a voucher for a clay pigeon shooting session for Christmas and he loved it :)

2 Marla March 4, 2013 at 5:35 am

That is such and awesome gift Antonia! Very generous :) I can’t wait to get some fresh hunted meat….

3 Rosa March 4, 2013 at 5:29 am

That is such a great outdoor activity!

Those landscapes are just breathtaking!

4 Marla March 4, 2013 at 5:35 am

Hi Rosa! Oh girl would you LOVE everything about it here :)

5 Naomi March 4, 2013 at 5:45 am

Beautiful pictures, Marla! And how fun!!!

6 Aimee @ Simple Bites March 4, 2013 at 5:51 am

Awesome, Marla! These look like such great people, and that back country is – wow. Just stunning. Congrats, girl! Can’t wait to read more about your adventures.

7 Kevin (Closet Cooking) March 4, 2013 at 5:58 am

That sounds like a fun adventure!

8 Jenny Flake March 4, 2013 at 6:46 am

Your new life fits you so well! Loving your posts! xoxo

9 Marla March 5, 2013 at 4:55 am

Great to finally be here Jenny :) Finally….

10 Julie @ Table for Two March 4, 2013 at 7:05 am

ahh i’ve never done that before and am eager to try! i love where you live! it’s so beautiful!

11 Marla March 4, 2013 at 7:33 am

Thanks Julie! This is all so fun to share with you guys!

12 Averie @ Averie Cooks March 4, 2013 at 9:40 am

This post reminds me of your Girl Hunter post last year!

“When I got back from my winter trip to Minnesota ” <– I read that post and didn't see mention of MN! See, I grew up in MN and no matter how long Ive been a Cali girl, I will always be a girl who grew up in the frozen tundra. Lol Tell me more about the trip!

13 Jennifer March 5, 2013 at 9:09 pm

I saw the Minnesota part also, Minnesota girl now living in Colorado!! I will be a MN girl forever also. But I do love Colorado so much!

14 Marla March 6, 2013 at 2:34 am

Jennifer, I am so happy I had the chance to visit MN. So beautiful there and really great people :)

15 Lana @ Never Enough Thyme March 4, 2013 at 10:19 am

I grew up in a very rural area with a very strong hunting and fishing tradition. Shotguns and fishing rods were just second nature to all of us. It has been a little while since I’ve handled a gun, but I have nieces who shoot clays competitively. They also hunt and fish. Mostly deer, game birds, and bass fishing. Oh, and both are beauty pageant winners :-)

16 Marla March 6, 2013 at 2:39 am

Beauty patent gals and huntresses?! What an amazing combo Lana! Now that we live surrounded by nature we hope to give our kiddos the same wonderful experiences ~ get to know the outdoors on ALL levels :) Such a gift!

17 Bree {Skinny Mommy} March 4, 2013 at 10:22 am

My husband would love you ;)! Great pictures too!

18 Sommer@ASpicyPerspective March 4, 2013 at 11:08 am

Looking good holding that gun girl! ;)

You sure are living it up in CO.

19 Marla March 6, 2013 at 2:35 am

Thanks girl! Yup, have a great time here ~ was meant to be :)

20 Bonnie K. March 4, 2013 at 11:13 am

Looks wonderful. It’s been ages since I’ve used my rifle. It’s stored at my parent’s home. I’m better at target shooting than at clay pigeons. Glad you’re having a great time.

21 Marla March 6, 2013 at 2:37 am

Bonnie, I have not tried target shooting yet but need to!

22 Reem | Simply Reem March 4, 2013 at 9:49 pm

Beautiful Shots Marla!!
This looks so much fun! And you are looking great holding the gun ;)

23 Marla March 5, 2013 at 4:53 am

Thanks so much Reem :)

24 Kiran @ KiranTarun.com March 4, 2013 at 10:37 pm

With such scenery’s and activities, I wouldn’t want to live indoors anymore! You look so cool in the photos, Marla :)

25 Marla March 5, 2013 at 4:52 am

Thanks Kiran ~ really I am hardly indoors these days….hardly ;)

26 Sanjeeta kk March 4, 2013 at 11:59 pm

You look classy with that gun…as always, Marla! Beautiful pictures..loads of fun…

27 Marla March 5, 2013 at 4:51 am

Why thank you Sanjeeta :) I really enjoy getting out there for all these awesome outdoors activities!

28 Marian (Sweetopia) March 5, 2013 at 6:22 am

Marla, admiring your sense of adventure and gorgeous photos!

29 Erin Nissen March 5, 2013 at 7:39 am

Marla,
YOU look so happy and so beautiful. You shoot the most amazing shots with your camera and I am SURE that you will do the same with your hunting skills : )
You are truly living the Fresh Family Cooking life!!
Thank you for sharing such great photos and recipes.

30 Marla March 5, 2013 at 7:49 am

I need you out here experiencing all this with me. Watch out for lots of FUN this summer my friend :) XO

31 Andrea DiGeronimo March 5, 2013 at 8:16 am

You are out there doing great stuff! I love seeing it! YOU GO GIRL! So very inspiring. You look so happy and powerful yet peaceful. The scenery and pictures are breathtaking.

xxoo, Andrea

32 Marla March 6, 2013 at 2:37 am

Andrea, you must come out for a visit. Everywhere you look the views are spectacular. Hotchkiss was such a great surprise ~ had no idea what to expect as I had never been out that way. The cowboys were super sweet and great teachers!

33 Andrea DiGeronimo March 5, 2013 at 8:17 am

p/s cant get enough of the cute cowboy pictures either!

34 Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) March 5, 2013 at 9:27 am

I took a clay shooting class in college (funky, right??)–totally not normally my thing–but I ended up loving it! It was really fun and different and I was surprisingly good at it, haha.

Gorgeous photos!

35 Marla March 6, 2013 at 2:35 am

In college??!! That is awesome! Where did you go? I bet that was fun to do with all your pals.

36 Laura July 11, 2013 at 4:22 am

Hi, stumbled on your page looking at upland hunting. I have been at it for awhile, and can’t wait to go every season. Tried your pheasant rec: They are great tasting, easy, and my family loved them. Please keep bringing them on. If you ever want to shoot clays in Motown/Delta, let me know. It is tough to find other women that really enjoy this type of lifestyle.

37 Marla July 11, 2013 at 8:20 pm

Hi Laura, great to hear from you! So glad you tried my recipes :) I will be outdoors lots in the fall & I can’t wait to hunt upland birds. Where do you usually shoot? A gun club or your place? I would love to meet you!

38 Laura July 12, 2013 at 6:02 pm

I belong to Black Canyon Hunt Club, it is a nice small Club. They have about 700 acres , a wobble trap, and 5 stand clay. I also have 4 dogs that I hunt with. Next time you think you will be down this way, let me know ahead of time and I will get ahold of the club to go shoot some clays. Also you got to go pheasant hunting with me, way to much fun. Take Care, Look forward to meeting you.

39 Rebecca July 14, 2013 at 2:36 pm

I was just listening to you on the food blogger conference and went over to check out your blog. My whole family spent Thanksgiving at the North Rim Hunt Club and it was so much fun. My sister lives in Hotchkiss. Great photos. Al is a sweet guy.

40 Marla July 14, 2013 at 6:58 pm

Hi Rebecca, thanks so much for stopping over to say hi! OMG ~ sounds like a blast that you spent Thanksgiving at NRHC. LOVE it there & I can’t wait to hunt there in the fall. Hotchkiss is gorgeous!

41 Rebecca July 14, 2013 at 7:31 pm

We did have a blast. It’s so beautiful there. I live in LA but my sister and parents are there. Thanks for such a great session today too. It was very inspiring.