The winter and spring are duking it out daily here in Telluride, CO. Each day surprises. One day bulbs start poking through thawing soil and the next day snow storms & gusty winds push through.
Recently I was on a wild pheasant hunt for the very first time and Bob the dog caught me the bird used in this recipe.
Now I know y’all don’t have access to a wild pheasant. Perhaps your local butcher can get you one. You can also order pheasant online.
If you can’t get ahold of a pheasant no worries. Feel free to use chicken or turkey in this recipe. If you are a hunter or have access to wild birds….you can try quail or grouse here.
Don’t let anything hold you back from feeding yourself & your family a wonderful homemade meal.
I know you can find mushrooms everywhere.
With wild mushroom foraging in the spring you can have great fun with the varieties you use in this recipe.
- 8 ounces (227 g) dry Orzo Pasta, cook according to package directions
- 8 ounces (1 cup) Pheasant meat, cubed
- 8 ounces (1 cup) Mushrooms (White & Mini Bellas featured here), cleaned and sliced
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- ground Cinnamon
- Garlic Salt
- Black Pepper
- 1 Sweet Potato to yield about 3/4 cup Roasted Sweet Potato
- Fresh Rosemary
- Cook pasta, toss with some olive oil and set aside.
- Pre heat the oven to 375 degrees F with the racks in the middle. Prepare a cookie sheet with parchment paper or Silpat liner. Slice the sweet potatoes into 1/4 inch thick pieces. Drizzle with olive oil and season with cinnamon, garlic salt & black pepper. Toss with your hands. Bake for about 40-45 minutes until slightly browned, caramelized and very soft.
- In a large sauté pan heat olive oil and butter over medium high heat. Add the pheasant and sear on all sides until mostly cooked. Add the mushrooms and quickly stir fry with the pheasant. Turn heat to low and add the sweet potatoes, stir in the orzo and rosemary. Season with garlic salt and pepper.
Pheasant Recipe Links
- Bacon Wrapped Jalapeño Pheasant Poppers Carpé Season
- Citrus Rosemary Roast Pheasant Family Fresh Cooking
- Pheasant & Biscuit Stew Cook Shoot Blog
- Pheasant & Wild Mushrooms Hunter Angler Gardener Cook
- Pheasant Rillette Honest Food
- Wild Rabbit & Pheasant Pie Vikalinka