Hello Country!

by Marla on April 4, 2013 · 24 comments

Photos from the Colorado Countryside | Horse & Cattle Ranches in Hotchkiss, CO | FamilyFreshCooking

When I drive back and forth to Hotchkiss, Colorado every weekend I see all kinds of eye candy. Anywhere else I have ever lived I have immensely disliked driving. Here in Colorado ~ I love road trips.

I stop the car often to get snaps of wildlife, barns, ranches, cows, horses, mountains….and well, just about everything!

Enjoy this little photographic journey of some pals I met while on the road last week.

That there is the Sneffels Range here in the San Juan Mountains. As the crow flies it is not too far from Telluride. Takes a bit longer to drive it though ~ ’cause you gotta drive around all kinds of mountain passes.  The most prominent peak of the Sneffels Range is Mount Sneffels reaching 14,158 feet

Ralph Lauren’s Double RL Ranch sits pretty on the land in front of this Rocky Mountain range. He owns only 16,000 acres there.

It sure would be nice to sit in a hammock & enjoy the views with a Cowgirl Cooler or two.

Cowgirl Coolers | Whiskey Strawberry Daiquiri Cocktail | recipe on FamilyFreshCooking.com

Red Barn in Southwest Colorado | FamilyFreshCooking.com

Did you know that horses LOVE having their picture taken? I sure didn’t…I gazed upon these beauties as I was leaving the North Rim Hunt Club, in Hotchkiss.

Not only do they like group shots… But they love having individual portraits taken as well. They even like close-ups.

Lucky for me because I am not too shy either. So we made for some great pals.

Photos from the Colorado Countryside | Horse & Cattle Ranches in Hotchkiss, CO  | FamilyFreshCooking

Spending just a few minutes with these beauties was all I needed to put a BIG grin on my face.

Remember my cowboy pal Justin? Maybe he rides these horses. I need to ask him…

Colorado Cowboy | FamilyFreshCooking.com

I got back in the car with a mind full of new memories, country music a blaring and then…

I saw the cows. They were further away though and very interested in just doing their thang. Not as interested in close up portraits.

This black cow was more interested in sipping water & licking it’s bowl.

Each cow mush have about 25 acres to call it’s own. These ranches are giant.

With spectacular mountain views.

*sigh*

Related Posts on FamilyFreshCooking.com

1 Jessica April 4, 2013 at 6:02 am

I LOVED these pictures. I am from Denver, living on the East Coast. We go back to Denver and Grand Lake annually. There is nothing like a scenic drive through the Rockies. Thanks for giving me a little piece of home on this dull Thursday morning!

2 Marla April 4, 2013 at 6:08 am

Hi Jessica…so happy I could help brighten your day! :)

3 Tieghan April 4, 2013 at 6:16 am

Your pictures are breath taking! I love those Colorado Blue Sky’s. Looking at one this morning!

4 Marla April 4, 2013 at 8:18 am

Hey you!! Aren’t those bluebird skies just the BEST?!

5 Rosa April 4, 2013 at 6:29 am

Colorado is splendid! What glorious skies and landscapes. Thanks for sharing your wonderful pictures with us.

6 Marla April 4, 2013 at 8:13 am

Hi Rosa! So happy you are enjoying my CO clicks…..you are my Swiss mountain sistah ;)

7 Sandy@ReluctantEntertainer April 4, 2013 at 7:12 am

Looks stunningly beautiful, Marla. I was just over in Bend, OR for Easter and the mountains were incredible. Have you skiied there? Sisters and Mt. Bachelor – breath-taking. Your photography is gorgeous, girl!

8 Marla April 4, 2013 at 8:12 am

Hi Sandy! I have not ever visited Bend, OR but I have heard spectacular things about it! Certainly on my hot list of places to visit asap. Glad to hear you had a fun & inspiring trip.

9 Heidi @foodiecrush April 4, 2013 at 7:46 am

Your move has become such an inspirational journey for the rest of us. Wide open spaces will do that to you. So happy for you.

10 Marla April 4, 2013 at 8:11 am

Awwww…..thank you so much Heidi! It really is so fun to share this JOY with all of you. I am grateful to be surrounded by this light & space…..XO

11 Kirsten@ My Kitchen in the Rockies April 4, 2013 at 8:31 am

That is exactly how feel very often. I could stop all the time and take pictures of horses, cows, wildlife, mountains, cowboys, old trucks,….. Maybe I should start sharing these pictures, too. Don’t you LOVE living in CO? It is the best!

12 Kirsten@ My Kitchen in the Rockies April 4, 2013 at 8:32 am

OH, Forgot, I hope you always have some horse treat to share in your car! That’s why they were all so eager to see you.

13 Marla April 4, 2013 at 3:50 pm

OMG ~ LOVE the idea of horse treats. What should I pack in the car? Yes, you should start sharing all your roadside photos of CO….YES!

14 Laura (Tutti Dolci) April 4, 2013 at 9:44 am

Those big blue skies and gorgeous horses take my breath away!

15 naomi April 4, 2013 at 1:49 pm

Lovely photos, Marla

16 Marla April 4, 2013 at 3:48 pm

Coming from you that means a whole heck of a lot ~ Thanks girl! XO

17 Averie @ Averie Cooks April 4, 2013 at 2:37 pm

Marla these are just stunning. The sky is SO BLUE. Omg. And your images are poignant, tack sharp, and tell such a wonderful story. You are in your element, that is so clear!

18 Marla April 4, 2013 at 3:49 pm

Averie, I have to say that your sweet compliments always make my day so much brighter ~ always! XO

19 Faith April 4, 2013 at 7:31 pm

Absolutely stunning views, Marla! It must be amazing to get to soak all that up – thanks for sharing it with us!

20 Nutmeg Nanny April 4, 2013 at 9:10 pm

Oh wow, stunning photography :) puts me in the sight seeing mood.

21 Mommypage April 5, 2013 at 4:23 pm

The cowboy cooler is cute! I love the boot that you put the smoothie in. That is a great idea for parties!

22 Marta @ What should I eat for breakfast today April 6, 2013 at 3:32 am

Your pictures are so positive and full of light. I’m sitting in a snowy Germany. But I feel a bit better when I look at them.

23 Marla April 6, 2013 at 7:16 am

Hi Marta…gotta admit snowy Germany does sound really pretty ~ but perhaps you can warm it up with a Honey Bee ;)

24 Kelly Senyei | Just a Taste April 10, 2013 at 11:15 am

Absolutely stunning, Marla! I was in Beaver Creek last weekend and enjoyed every minute of the fresh mountain air. Your photographs are spectacular!