Happy Friday! Can you believe another busy week has flown by? Hopefully you had a great one & hopefully you have some fun weekend plans in the works…we sure do! This Orange Maple Old-Fashioned cocktail is perfect for ladies & gents.
Usually I post cocktails that can be made virgin or kiddo friendly. In this case that is not the case. This drink is mostly whiskey with littles citrus splashes for accents. This is a vintage cocktail that dates back to the 1800’s. Messing with it too much would be pointless.
That would be another drink.
You gotta love whiskey to love this cocktail. You do? OK….then great. You have a new best friend.
The Gouda Life & Kitchen Riffs both describe this cocktail perfectly. For those who don’t like whiskey over ice, this takes the profound flavor down a notch, without loosing the integrity of the whiskey. As the ice melts the flavors combine and simmer down the heat a little bit.
For folks who want a full bodied whiskey kick you won’t loose a thing.
This is a drink you drink slowly and mindfully. Not one you slam in seconds. This is comfort and sophistication. No bells and whistles. After all it’s old-fashioned, a classic.
I love that old fashioned’s are served in short “Old Fashioned” glasses. No tall stems to get in your way. Not too easy to tip over. The glass has some weight, to give a warm hug to the drink inside.
A small squat glass is simply another indicator that this is meant to be savored ~ enjoyed ~ sip. by. sip.
Hopefully you have a wonderful weekend. Enjoy!
- 1 tablespoon pure Maple Syrup (I prefer darker grade B)
- 2 ounces Whiskey
- a few splashes of Orange Bitters
- a squeeze of fresh Orange
- garnish with some Orange Rind
- Combine all ingredients well excluding ice & garnish, stir to combine. Add some ice. Let the drink sit a minute or two for the flavors to combine.
- Adjust maple syrup according to how sweet you want your old-fashioned.
Old Fashioned Recipe Links
- Cherry Brandy Old Fashioned The Bitten Word
- Cherry Infused Bourbon Old Fashioned Munchin with Munchkin
- Grilled Cherry Old Fashioned 10th Kitchen
- Old Fashioned Cocktail Kitchen Riffs
- Old Fashioned with Brandies Cherries The Gouda Life
- The Classic Old Fashioned Cocktail The Crepes of Wrath