Sometimes you walk in the house and your 6 & 9 year old kiddos have complete control of everything. Or they think they do.
See the other day I walked in from fly fishing lessons. Was a typical Sunday except for the fact that ALL of my knives were out. There was broccoli & cauliflower everywhere. Knives everywhere. Fingers were fine...thank goodness. Apparently they took it on themselves to prepare dinner while their dad was fixing sprinklers outside.
Not cookies for dinner. A very healthy…..Vegetable Salad.
Needless to say I was very surprised by the mess, knives & that they chose vegetables for dinner.
Goes without saying…when you let your kids have a say in food choices they might just make some dang good ones.
Try it. But please supervise the vegetable cutting.
I gave my hands a wash & took over the cutting. I didn’t want to wreck the moment for them, but I also didn’t want them to be airlifted to Durango.
I have been to that hospital enough the past 2 months (knee surgery.)
Sooooooo anywhoos….back to kids and vegetables.
They pretty much cleaned out my fridge, i’m very grateful for that!
Into their chopped veggie salad they added chopped broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, mushrooms and green onions.
To make things tasty they added Sriracha, low salt Tamari (gluten free soy sauce) and capers.
A lot of the stuff we make around here has no precise measurements.
Add what you like to this salad….take some stuff out. Throw somethin’ else in. Use seasonings to suit your tastes.
- 1 head of Broccoli
- 1 head of Cauliflower
- 1 package Mushrooms
- Green Onion
- Tamari (gluten free soy sauce)
- Sriracha sauce
- Clean vegetables. Chop broccoli, cauliflower and mushrooms into small bite sized pieces. Steam or microwave for a few minutes until slightly softened and bright in color. Slice green onion into small ringlets. Toss steamed vegetables with green onion, sauces, pepper and capers. Adjust to taste. Top with green onion, some more Sriracha and more capers. Serve warm or chilled.
Chopped Salad Recipe Links
- Chopped Broccoli Salad with Tahini Sauce Family Fresh Cooking
- Chopped Chicken Salad To-Go Eat, Spin, Run, Repeat
- Chopped Greek Salad Use Real Butter
- Chopped Kale Salad with Creamy Lemon Dressing Kitchen Riffs
- Chopped Shrimp Salad The Devil’s Food Advocate
- Zucchini Feta Cheese Chopped Salad Family Fresh Cooking