Cheesy Spaghetti Squash Marinara

by Marla on January 12, 2014 · 27 comments

Cheesy Spaghetti Squash Marinara | Gluten Free, Grain Free Recipe on FamilyFreshCooking.com

Happy Monday! Before we dive into one of the simplest most amazing meals ever…can I apologize for my less than stellar photography? I was dashing out to ski. Thank you for letting this one go. You guys are awesome like that!

Looking to replace carb laden pasta? Then Cheesy Spaghetti Squash Marinara needs to be a regular addition to your life. Like now.

Also….don’t forget to enter my Blendtec Blender giveaway. You can use it for your Quick Homemade Tomato Sauce.

All you need to do is microwave or bake a spaghetti squash until the insides are soft & ready to scoop.

Toss with some good olive oil, garlic salt & black pepper.

Make a quick Fresh Tomato Sauce or use your favorite jarred one. Keep things delicious & simple. That’s the master plan here.

Plate your spaghetti squash with the sauce and a whole lot of mozzarella cheese. Bake it. Dig in.

Enjoy!

Cheesy Spaghetti Squash Marinara

Rating: 51

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes

Total Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes

Yield: 4 servings (depends upon the size of the squash)

Cheesy Spaghetti Squash Marinara

• 1 Spaghetti Squash, cooked
  • Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • Garlic Salt
  • Black Pepper
  • Homemade Tomato Sauce (or your favorite jarred sauce)
  • Mozzarella Cheese, sliced or shredded

Spaghetti Squash
  • This can be either baked in the oven or cooked in the microwave. For both methods, poke several holes in squash to release steam as it cooks. Cook for about 15 minutes in the microwave until completely soft. Also you can bake in the oven at 375 F for about 45-55 minutes until cooked through.
  • Let squash cool a bit. Cut in half, remove seeds and scoop out spaghetti. Place in a large bowl and discard seeds. Toss with olive oil, garlic salt & pepper.
  • Assemble
  • Set oven to broil with the rack in the middle. Plate spaghetti squash in oven safe bowls. Top with marinara sauce & mozzarella cheese. Broil about 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted & golden brown. Watch carefully so it does not burn.
Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

Spaghetti Squash Recipe Links

1 Averie @ Averie Cooks January 12, 2014 at 5:08 pm

Thanks for linking up my How to Roast Spaghetti Squash post!

And this looks INCREDIBLE! Love everything about it, Marla! I love making squash, as in, multiple times per week. Love the ease of this recipe and that it’s every bit as good as real pasta, minus the gluten and cals. Pinned!

2 Marla January 14, 2014 at 6:06 am

LOVE your Roasted Spaghetti Squash tutorial. Will demystify things for so many folks! Heres to a lighted up version of “pasta”!!

3 Ari @ Ari's Menu January 12, 2014 at 5:10 pm

YUM! Spaghetti squash is pretty much my favorite food (along with cheese obviously), so this looks AWESOME to me! Thanks for the link love!

4 Marla January 14, 2014 at 6:07 am

Yes, cheese is always in favor over here! You are so welcome, your recipe looks great!

5 Tieghan January 12, 2014 at 8:44 pm

This is giant a giant bowl of healthy comfort!! So gorgeous and so good!

6 Marla January 14, 2014 at 6:10 am

Thanks so much Tieghan! I’m gonna go check out what you have cooking up over on your blog now :)

7 Rosa January 13, 2014 at 12:10 am

Absolutely scrumptious!

8 Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar January 13, 2014 at 5:02 am

I love this! It’s so healthy!

9 Kevin @ Closet Cooking January 13, 2014 at 5:54 am

Such a nice and simple and tasty meal!

10 Jenny Flake January 13, 2014 at 6:14 am

What a perfect dinner!! Healthy, beautiful and delicious!

11 Maria January 13, 2014 at 6:22 am

This is my kind of meal!

12 Homecleaner January 13, 2014 at 6:45 am

Looking so tasty! Can’t wait to try the recipe!

13 Kirsten | My Kitchen in the Rockies January 13, 2014 at 6:58 am

Fast, healthy and tasty. You can’t go wrong with spaghetti squash! Sounds like you have great skiing conditions in Telluride at the moment. Have fun!

14 Marla January 14, 2014 at 6:17 am

We are having wonderful ski conditions ~ thank goodness & VERY grateful!

15 Julie @ Table for Two January 13, 2014 at 8:10 am

I love that this is made with spaghetti squash!! This looks SO good and something I would love to eat any night of the week!

16 Sommer @ASpicyPerspective January 13, 2014 at 8:30 am

Oh, this dish looks amazing! I love the spaghetti squash for a healthier addition.

17 Paula – bell’alimento January 13, 2014 at 12:48 pm

This is my kind of comfort dish!

18 Julia {The Roasted Root} January 14, 2014 at 5:38 am

Lately, I’ve been making spaghetti squash like crazy! Can’t get enough of it. I love that I can put delicious sauces and cheeses on it and make it a comforting meal yet still keep it on the lighter side. Hope you’re enjoying the skiing over there in Colorado…we’re still dry as a bone in Tahoe :( keep your fingers crossed the snow Gods grace us with their presence and supply us deliciously fluffy white stuff the rest of the winter :)

19 Marla January 14, 2014 at 6:02 am

Hi Julia…I’m sorry yo hear it has been dry there in Tahoe. It is awful for ski resorts to have junky snow fall. I’ll do pretty snow dances for you guys!!

20 Kare @ Kitchen Treaty January 14, 2014 at 7:02 am

I adore spaghetti squash, and I love this super-simple recipe! That golden brown broiled cheese topping just looks incredible. And I actually really love the coziness conveyed in your photos! I’d love to dig into a big plate of this after a day outside playing in the snow.

21 Marla January 14, 2014 at 10:40 am

Awwwww, thank you so much Kare! I’m glad these images can convey such happy feelings. I would not want to short change such delicious food ;) Hope you are getting some great time in the snow.

22 Marian (Sweetopia) January 14, 2014 at 9:18 am

Oh yummy! I love this! Off to pin…

23 Gintare @Gourmantine January 14, 2014 at 10:07 am

Looks so comforting, warming and just fabulous!

24 kelley {mountain mama cooks} January 15, 2014 at 6:17 am

I’m on a spaghetti squash kick right now and loving the looks of this. I have some homemade marinara that I canned last fall and I’ve been putting it on everything!

25 Marla January 15, 2014 at 7:24 am

OMG ~ love that you have that homemade sauce canned & at the ready. Bet is it delicious!!

26 Micheline January 15, 2014 at 8:40 am

That looks soooooo cheesy and delicious! I bet my picky husband would eat it. I guess I’ll have to try it and see!

27 Nutmeg Nanny January 27, 2014 at 6:48 am

Oh my, this dish just looks AMAZING!! My mouth is watering over here, I can’t wait to make this :)