How To: Classic Chocolate Truffles

by Marla on February 10, 2014 · 29 comments

How To: Classic Chocolate Truffles | FamilyFreshCooking.com

My kids begged me to make Chocolate Truffles with them for Valentine’s Day gifts. Little tokens of love for their pals & teachers.

So that is exactly what we did. At 6:30am on a Saturday morning…

How To: Classic Chocolate Truffles | FamilyFreshCooking.com

There are a few great things about chocolate truffles…

• They are made of CHOCOLATE
  • You can FLAVOR them anyway you wish
  • Truffles are ELEGANT
  • Truffles are really EASY to PREPARE
  • No BAKING involved.
  • Make them yourself with any CHOCOLATE you like best. White, Milk Dark…a blend
  • It is wayyyy CHEAPER to make them yourself then buy them in a store!
  • Making truffles is FUN!

How To: Classic Chocolate Truffles | FamilyFreshCooking.com

Basically all you need to do is make a quick & easy Chocolate Ganache. There is a 2:1 ratio chocolate to cream. You bring the cream to a boil then pour it over the chocolate.

How To: Classic Chocolate Truffles | FamilyFreshCooking.com

While the cream is cooking you can add flavors to infuse it with. We add vanilla extract after we pour the hot cream into the chocolate.  Mix the hot cream & fudge together until you get the consistency of fudgey sauce.

Let this firm up in the fridge for a few hours.

How To: Classic Chocolate Truffles | FamilyFreshCooking.com

Then you scoop the firm ganache & roll it into balls of any size. We like 1 inch size best.

How To: Classic Chocolate Truffles | FamilyFreshCooking.com

Then you coat the truffle in toppings. Get creative or stay classic.

We coated our truffles in real chocolate sprinkles, cocoa powder & rainbow nonpareils. A medley of fun!

How To: Classic Chocolate Truffles | FamilyFreshCooking.com

After all that, you chill the truffles in the fridge so they firm up again.

How To: Classic Chocolate Truffles | FamilyFreshCooking.com

Then eat them yourself or package them pretty for gifts. We have not yet figured out our packaging. We are thinking either mason jars with Valentine’s tags or Chinese take out containers.

Don’t these look like flowers? I had gobs of fun photographing them! Kinda like pop art, don’t you think?

How To: Classic Chocolate Truffles | FamilyFreshCooking.com

Enjoy making Chocolate Truffles & be sure to involve the kiddos!

Classic Chocolate Truffles

Rating: 51

Prep Time: 30 minutes

Cook Time: 10 minutes

Total Time: 40 minutes

Yield: 35-35 depending on size

Classic Chocolate Truffles

• 8 ounces Semi-Sweet or Bittersweet Chocolate, chopped into small pieces (use the highest quality you can get)
  • 1/2 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
  • 1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
  • *Adjust all ingredients in direct proportions for more or less truffles. The ratio is 2 parts chocolate to 1 part cream.
  • Truffle Coatings
  • Sprinkles
  • Coarse Sugar
  • Maple Sugar
  • Chopped Nuts
  • Tiny Candy
  • Cocoa Powder

• Place the chocolate in a large heat safe bowl. Heat the cream over medium heat until it bubbles up & simmers. Stir well, scraping down sides & do not let it burn. Pour hot cream over the chocolate. Add the vanilla. Let this sit a few minutes so the chocolate can melt. Mix well until you have a thick chocolate fudge. Let the mix cool for a few hours in the fridge until it is firm enough to scoop.
  • Put toppings into individual bowls.
  • Using a teaspoon scoop out chocolate and roll quickly into balls. We like about 1 inch in diameter. Work quickly as the chocolate will melt with the heat of your hands.
  • Immediately dip truffle balls into toppings. Place onto a parchment lined sheet pan. Chill in the fridge for a few hours until solid. Store in the fridge until you are ready to enjoy your truffles.

Chocolate Truffles Recipe Links

1 Averie @ Averie Cooks February 10, 2014 at 5:25 am

What and awesome & informative post AND I love how into it your kids are! That’s so cool, Marla, that they’re into cooking/baking! :)

2 Marla February 10, 2014 at 7:33 am

Thank you Averie…we really did have a GREAT time making truffles together. Best part is eating them afterwards. Funny ~ no tantrums ;)

3 Maria February 10, 2014 at 5:54 am

Love the sprinkle ones! So fun!

4 Kevin @ Closet Cooking February 10, 2014 at 6:02 am

Making chocolate truffles looks like so much fun! :)

5 Marla February 10, 2014 at 7:34 am

It really is Kevin! A bit messy, but the rewards are certainly worth it!

6 Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} February 10, 2014 at 6:05 am

I love this! My daughter would absolutely adore making homemade truffles with me.Thanks for sharing the cute pictures of your children–it’s so nice to see kids getting in the kitchen. :) The bright-colored holders (better word??) are perfect here, too.

7 Marla February 10, 2014 at 7:35 am

Hi Maryea! I hope you & your daughter can play with truffles some time soon. You will both LOVE it! Not sure I have a better word ~ but those are silicone cupcake liners :)

8 Jenny Flake February 10, 2014 at 6:18 am

These are too fun Marla!! Your kids are growing up soooo fast! Miss seeing you! xo

9 Marla February 10, 2014 at 7:36 am

Thanks Jenny! I know it whenever we all share photos of the kids its like a scrapbook. Can’t believe how big they are all getting. As long as we get younger every day its all OK ;)

10 Julie @ Table for Two February 10, 2014 at 7:19 am

Marla, these photos – they’re absolutely gorgeous!! I love them!! They’re so colorful and the composition is amazing. I love truffles and this how-to is great!

11 Marla February 10, 2014 at 7:36 am

Thank you Julie! I really had a fun time making chocolate truffles with the kids & taking these pics :) XO

12 Heather Christo February 10, 2014 at 9:23 am

These are so insanely darling. I am sitting here and wondering if I could make these with hot coconut cream, unsweetened chocolate and stevia for my daughter? What do you think of that? lol! Is that crazy? I thought you would know :)

13 Marla February 10, 2014 at 11:44 am

Yes! Heather…all of your needs right here in my Skinny Dark Chocolate Trail Mix Truffles recipe. Coconut milk & stevia sweetened. Let me know what you think. You can pull out the dried fruit, nuts & seeds & do the sprinkles instead :)

14 Toni | Boulder Locavore February 10, 2014 at 9:44 am

These look delicious and I love the photos! Truffles are so much easier than people imagine and I think they are such a fun project to do with your kids! Great idea. I might set my kids loose on your post and let them make some this weekend.

15 Marla February 10, 2014 at 11:39 am

They really are sooooo much easier than we think before we ever try making them. Kinda like adult Play Doh ;) Try it with your kiddos. They will LOVE it bet ya!

16 Rena February 10, 2014 at 10:03 am

great tutorial and what a great mom you are!!

17 Marla February 10, 2014 at 11:38 am

Awwww, thank you Rena!

18 Sommer @ASpicyPerspective February 10, 2014 at 10:04 am

My kids would love to make these truffles! Your kids make the pictures just the cutest! Thanks for sharing Marla!

19 Marla February 10, 2014 at 11:37 am

Thank you Sommer! I’m thinking you guys need to do this ‘lil project asap :)

20 chris February 10, 2014 at 11:32 am

Would this work the same way with white chocolate? Also is there science behind needing heavy cream? Can it be milk or even nut milk?

21 Marla February 10, 2014 at 11:48 am

You can certainly experiment with the white chocolate & different creams & non dairy choices. I am not sure the ratio though & I think quite a bit less because of the high fat content in white chocolate. Best of luck & let us know how it goes!

22 Tess @ Tips on Life & Love February 10, 2014 at 2:21 pm

Love the sprinkles! What a great way to help make it a little more kid-friendly.

23 Kathi @ Deliciously Yum! February 10, 2014 at 6:49 pm

Marla, I was thrilled you included my link in your post. Thank you so much! I love your blog and these truffles look absolutely amazing. Your kids couldn’t be more adorable, btw!

24 Kulsum February 11, 2014 at 6:52 am

Ok, I want to put my face into that bowl! Classic truly xx

25 Kiran @ KiranTarun.com February 11, 2014 at 8:31 pm

Way too cute!! Love that truffles is something kids can absolutely enjoy making :)

26 Marla February 12, 2014 at 6:33 am

Thanks Kiran!! It really was a great time with them :)

27 Laura (Tutti Dolci) February 12, 2014 at 12:38 pm

Such pretty truffles, I love the coatings. A perfect project to include the kiddos in! ;)

28 Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen February 13, 2014 at 1:26 am

Truffles are my very favorite, looks like you all had a lot of fun making them!