Bacon. Cream. Cheese (lots), Sweet Potatoes. All baked up on a BIG casserole. Ready for you when you are ready for it.
Don’t dream about it. Go ahead & bake a Loaded Scalloped Sweet Potato Casserole. Now.
Do you have a great week planned?
I do. We are in Beaver Creek grabbing the last ski week of the season. Telluride has all ready closed & we are chasing the snow. I’m a snow chaser, did you know that?
See all that Perfectly Baked Bacon? It’s glorious huh?!
This casserole will fuel you up no matter what time of year, no matter what you have planned.
Sweet potatoes are gluten free & super healthy so you can feel OK about that bacon & cheese (or at least I can!)
Enjoy your week & this casserole. Come back & let me know what you think!
- 4 Sweet Potatoes (sliced 1/4 inch or less)
- Olive Oil
- Garlic Salt
- Smoked Paprika
- 4 tablespoons Butter
- 3 tablespoons Gluten Free Flour (or AP Flour)
- 2 1/2 cups Fat Free Milk
- 3 cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1 cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- Cooking Spray
- 10 ounces Perfectly Baked Bacon, crumbled
- 2 Ripe Avocados, sliced & dipped in lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sliced Green Onion
- Sour Cream
- Pre heat oven to 400 degrees F with the rack in the middle. Prepare a baking sheet with tin foil or a Silpat liner. Toss sweet potato slices in olive oil, garlic salt, pepper & smoked paprika. Arrange sweet potatoes on the sheet pan in a single layer. Bake about 20 minutes until potatoes are soft & slightly browned. Remove from oven & let cool a bit.
- Melt butter in a sauce pan, whisk in flour. Stir in milk & bring to a simmer. Set aside.
- Spray a 3 quart baking dish with cooking spray. Layer potatoes & 1 cup of the cheddar cheese, repeat this for 2nd layer. Add 3rd layer of sweet potatoes, pour milk mixture over the top. Top with 3rd cup of cheddar cheese & mozzarella.
- Cover casserole dish with tin foil. Bake for 60 minutes. Carefully remove the foil & broil for 5 -10 minutes. Cheese should be slightly browned & bubbling. Be sure it does not burn. Remove from oven & let sit a few minutes. Sauce will thicken as the casserole cools.
- Top with avocado, green onions & bacon crumbles. Serve with salsa & sour cream.
Scalloped Potato Recipe Links
- Gruyere-Crisped Potatoes Au Gratin The Food Charlatan
- Parmesan Crusted Scalloped Potatoes Damn Delicious
- Scalloped Potatoes with Sage & Ham Coupon Clipping Cook
- Skillet Scalloped Potatoes The Hot Plate
- Smoked Chili Scalloped Sweet Potatoes Stylish Cuisine
- Tomato & Scalloped Potato Gratin Hip Foodie Mom