Welcome! My name is Marla Meridith.
I am the creator, editor, food stylist, photographer and go-to gal for Family Fresh Cooking. Here are a few things about me…
- I live in my favorite place on earth: Telluride, Colorado. This is high altitude heaven!
- Prior to that I grew up in NY (Long Island) spent 15 years in Southern California.
- I ski, mountain bike, hike and lift weights regularly. It is important for me to be active at all times, all seasons.
- Obsessed with the outdoors. I shoot guns, hunt and fly fish & take any opportunity to play outside.
- Recently passed the level 1 Court of Master Sommeliers test. Will be studying for level 2 this year,
- I am a firm believer that the more you do the more you get done.
- Proud mom to two kids, a 6 year old boy & a 9 year old girl.
- I travel the world as often as possible. Wanderlust & curiosity drive me.
- Unless otherwise noted I shoot and style all of the photographs on this blog.
- I love food. Cooking it, eating it, styling it, photographing it. My life is all about the next bite.
- It is very important to me to eat the highest quality, all natural, healthy foods.
- I am type A with a natural wake-up time of 4am, no alarm clock. Breakfast has me hop, skip and jump out of bed each morning.
- Love art, design & photography. When I see something beautiful I get cold chills and very excited.
- I like honest people, real food, bright colors, plaid patterns, cowboy boots, hats and the color pink.
- Love coffee. Piping hot dark espresso capped with the perfect crema.
- After attending Syracuse University, I freelanced as a graphic/textile designer for Disney, Scholastic, Warner Bros. and other fun companies.
- I say what I mean & mean what I say.
- Second to this blog you can find me bouncing around on Pinterest. Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
- Travel thrills me for business & pleasure. Lately I should just leave my suitcases packed as life is go, go, go!
- Family Fresh Cooking is my *happy place* Love that I can take it anywhere I go.
- Life + Work = Fun. I love keeping busy at all times.
- Mindful living is my mantra for everything I do.
Recipes + Food
My mission is for my family to stay fit and strong both mentally and physically. Daily we have multiple opportunities to decide what food to eat. Certain foods make us feel great, while others destroy our moods and energy levels. Whole food ingredients and mindful eating behaviors allow us to live healthy, happy lives. The most important thing is to never feel deprived, as food is one of life’s greatest pleasures.
I also create many cocktails. We all need to unwind right?!
My recipes and lifestyle tips should:
- Help you create ideas, heighten awareness and have fun with daily meal planning.
- Encourage you to have healthy, fresh ingredients using as much organic and sustainable items you can find.
- Focus on mindful eating and portion control to keep us looking and feeling our best. 10 Secrets to Skinny is a great post for this.
- Encourage you to eat 6 small meals a day. This way you can keep energy levels high and avoid energy crashes and “pig-outs.”
- Help to enlighten and demystify the home cooking experience. My mission is to keep it real, healthy and delicious. My Project Lunch Box has been a huge success and it follows this plan of action.
- Share alternatives to refined sugars. Most of my recipes are sugar free.
- Provide healthy tips and techniques that work for me and the family as often as possible. The recipes will be my own creations, if adaptations from others are used they will be cited.
- Provide resources that can assist us to seek out a wealth of information and keep us on track. References will include magazines, other blogs, websites, cookbooks and other inspirational material.
- Make you smile with pretty pictures of food that encourage you to cook at home.
- Serve as an exchange of ideas, I will share ideas and then you guys can post your comments. Together we can craft tools, tricks and techniques to stay fit and well fed.
I love traveling to beautiful places around the globe with my camera glued to my face. I cover food, scenery, culture, activities & breathtaking hotels. I work with many chefs in their kitchens…a wonderfully intimate space to learn the in’s and outs of cooking & the restaurant world.
DIY + Crafts + More
Use your own judgement or the advice of your doctor to decide which ingredients and products are appropriate for you and you family. Family Fresh Cooking does not accept any responsibility for injury sustained as a result of following the advice or suggestions contained within the content of this blog.