Could something as simple as stuffed mushrooms make a difference? I think it can & here is why. Before Thanksgiving I was asked to participate & create awareness for Share Our Strength. We are having a virtual dinner party & we invite each of you to attend & join in if you wish.
This progressive dinner party was developed to increase awareness & alleviate childhood hunger in the USA. The goal this holiday season is to raise funds to feed these kids. Spreading the message as a community can bring the best results – so no child goes hungry.
Why stuffed mushrooms? Bloggers were assigned a date and we got to choose our course. I went with a family friendly appetizer. I believe these little mushrooms offered a lot of promise. They are simple, quick, easy & inexpensive to prepare. Even though a bit messy, little fingers can pick them up with ease. Most kids and adults love cheese & bacon.
These appetizers are filled with mushroom stems, fresh herbs your favorite cheese and little bits of smoky bacon. The bacon & cheese puts smiles on everyones faces over here. On a crisp cool day the smell of these baking is very comforting. Makes me feel warm & grateful for our blessings.
I wish I could share my cooking with all of the folks who cannot afford to feed themselves. In the mean time I can help create awareness.
This is the second event I have participated in for this wonderful charity. Last year I brought Gluten Free Maple Peanut Butter Cookies to the National Food Bloggers Bake Sale. You can follow updates and become involved in that event too. They hold bake sales in many locations around the US. You can also start your own.
Here is the link if you would like to donate to theNo Kid Hungry Share Our Strength campaign. Every donation counts, no matter how big or small.
What is your favorite holiday appetizer? Do you have a charity that you support this time of year? It is not too late for you to join the Virtual Holiday Table. Share your recipes & help raise funds to feed hungry children.
*If you have a moment please check out the interview I just did over at Dishin’ In the Kitchen
- To make these for the Jewish holidays (Hanukkah) – simply omit the pork bacon and use turkey or vegetarian options.
- Instead of Thyme, fresh Rosemary would be an excellent choice.
- Cheese choices: Gorgonzola, Blue Cheese, Romano, Cheddar, Mozzarella, Gruyére, etc. The list can go on & on!
Stuffed Mushroom Recipe Links
- Classic Herbed Stuffed Mushrooms Babble.com
- Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms Ezra Poundcake
- Stuffed Mushrooms Easy French Food
- Stuffed Mushrooms Pham Fatale
- Stuffed Portabello Mushrooms Polwig
- Stuffed Mushrooms with Smoked Pancetta Lucullian and Delights
Food Blogger Virtual Dinner Party Links
Check out these bloggers who are also participating in Share Our Strength’s Virtual Progressive Dinner Party.
- Gourmet Neo-Homesteading Recipe Girl The Italian Dish
- Family Friendly MarlaMeridith.com right here Giving Up on Perfect
- Vegetarian Smith Bites Two Peas and Their Pod
- Gluten Free Wenderly
- Gourmet Food Woolf Neo-Homesteading The Gringo Chapin Three Many Cooks
- Family Friendly Fat Wuz Here
- Vegetarian Lexies Kitchen Simply Sugar and Gluten Free
- Gluten Free Gluten Free Easily
- Gourmet The Bitten Word girlichef
- Family Friendly Food For My Family
- Vegetarian Glugle Gluten-Free
- Gluten Free Add a Pinch Gluten Free Diva
- Gourmet A Girl, A Market, A Meal edible cville The Runaway Spoon
- Family Friendly All About Alton Brown Cookie Central’s Great American Bake Sale Ladles and Jellyspoons Two Dollar Dinners
- Vegetarian Good Life Eats Feed Our Families
- Gluten Free Celiac Teen Celiacs in the House Gluten Free Life with Jen And Love it Too!
- Gourmet Food Blogga What’s Gaby Cooking
- Family Friendly Bluebonnets & Brownies Foodie Tots Life in Recipes
- Vegetarian The Peche
- Gluten Free Nourishing Meals The Sensitive Pantry
- Gourmet The Urban Baker Heather Christo We Like to Cook, and Eat Plum Pie
- Family Friendly What’s Cooking Dine and Dish The Evolving Cook Katrina Runs for Food
- Vegetarian My Kitchen Addiction Taste as You Go Flamingo Musings
- Gluten Free The Whole Gang Jenn Cuisine Creative Cooking Gluten Free